Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-02-2017, 12:36 PM   #1

Travel through Atlanta

Does anyone know what the current situation is for traveling through Atlanta. We will be leaving Minnesota for Florida. Going through Atlanta has been the quickest but I understand that they had a bridge collapse on the freeway downtown. Thanks!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-02-2017, 12:48 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The bridge section on I-85 that had collapsed has been completely repaired. I do recommend though that if you intend to drive through the city vs. around on the circle freeway that you pick the day and time carefully. I've gone both ways and you are much more likely to experience real delays driving through vs. around.
Mike8253 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 12:49 PM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dickschaak View Post
Does anyone know what the current situation is for traveling through Atlanta. We will be leaving Minnesota for Florida. Going through Atlanta has been the quickest but I understand that they had a bridge collapse on the freeway downtown. Thanks!
I went through there back in May. The bridge collapse (which might be fixed by now) will not affect you if you take the I-285 bypass route on the west side of Atlanta. As for traffic, it is always an issue in Atlanta and we were stalled for about 45 minutes in the middle of the day. But any bypass routes will take you longer than that, so just pick the best time of day traffic-wise and be patient when (not if) traffic slows down.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 12:56 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8253 View Post
The bridge section on I-85 that had collapsed has been completely repaired. I do recommend though that if you intend to drive through the city vs. around on the circle freeway that you pick the day and time carefully. I've gone both ways and you are much more likely to experience real delays driving through vs. around.
Either route you choose is much easier real early in the morning before work traffic starts. Atlanta roads are a madhouse of excessive speeding while talking on cell phones and changing lanes...
JUS1MO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 01:26 PM   #5

I prefer to go through town rather that use I285 when possible. Seems to be less insanity on the "connector"(as it's euphemistically known) than on the bypass. Stick to mid-day and avoid Atlanta entirely on Friday afternoon - you should be fine.
Papa Foxtrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 01:59 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
I agree with Patrick. Use I-75 all the way through rather than taking the bypass. One thing to add: Stay out of the right lane, they peter out without much warning, leaving you struggling to get back to the left.

The collapsed bridge has been fixed for a couple of months now. Lots of construction north of town on I-75 though. A little extra caution and you will be fine. Avoid Friday afternoon and rush hours each day.
Air Conditioned Gypsy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 02:43 PM   #7

I'll go one step further than Chuck - if you come thru on I-75, stay to the left and pick up the HOV lane(assuming there's more than 1 person in the coach) in Cobb County and stay in it all the way through Atlanta. With I-85, you have toll lanes to deal with north of I-285. On I-75, the toll lanes begin south of I-285.

The construction on the north side with I-75 are new toll lanes being built, but not open yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckm99 View Post
I agree with Patrick. Use I-75 all the way through rather than taking the bypass. One thing to add: Stay out of the right lane, they peter out without much warning, leaving you struggling to get back to the left.
Papa Foxtrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 05:56 PM   #8

Thor Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
We just can thru last weekend on lH-85 there is construction coming into town going south! We were going to be going west so we took I-285 to IH-20 and just south of our turn off there is construction. This is all on a Saturday. If you can check traffic if you can.
ferg182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 07:12 AM   #9

Thanks everyone, the relies are a big help. I think we will go straight thru downtown.
Old 08-03-2017, 09:26 AM   #10

Don't come here. We are full.
Seriously. Go away.

Just kidding. Come through very early or very late on the weekend.
Blondiega1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 10:11 AM   #11

I wold strongly recommend NOT using the HOV lane as you get into Atlanta (or the toll lane if you have an accepted pass) as you will be a very un-welcome rolling roadblock. Cars will pull out from behind you (the no passing double white line is routinely ignored, particularly when it is not convienent to adhere to it) and then cut you off when they pull back in, right in front of you, often brake checking you for good measure, while giving you the "you are #1 salute". Not to mention, on the in/out of the HOV sections, cars will cut you off at will, and of course, won't let anyone merge out either.

Even in my car, I only use the HOV lane when "necessary"...
Betr2Trvl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
travel