RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-20-2012, 07:51 AM   #1

Trip to RedBay

We have a 2011 Phaeton and have an appointment to get repairs before our warranty runs out. Would appreciate suggestions from those of you who have experience in this process.

Molone is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-20-2012, 09:28 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Hi; You have an appointment, so your visit will be easy. I, along with a friend just returned from Red Bay. It was his rig and he did not have an appointment. We checked in at the campground office, was given a free site because his rig is under the warranty and set up. Norris came by the next morning and we advised him of the repairs to be made. Because the amount of work that was to be done could be finished in 3 hours we were told that the job would be done in one of the express bays. All the work was done on the 3rd day in the morning and we were on our way.

People without appt's wait for days and weeks to have work performed so patience is needed. The repair facility is impressive. The campground is adequate although because of the cold weather water was turned off at the camp sites. Water is available at site # 30 and the dump station.

We took the morning tour of the plant and went to the paint facility in the afternoon. I recommend both. We walked into the office and asked to see Bob Tiffin and got to visit with him for at least 15 minutes. He, and his company policy of doing the right thing is the reason why i have owned Tiffin products.

You should have a positive experience.

CoastieSCPO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 09:45 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Hi Molone we where in RB in dec. for some warranty work on 2011 bus, we had no appointment and stayed for six days that was good, some people had been there for months depends on work to be done and time of year. All the staff where friendly and helpful. No water at sites due to weather, but two spots to refill if needed. Stock up on food and other must haves [dry county] nothing to do there but wait to be called into a bay, if you like sausage buy a pack in office, I wish we had bought more before we left .Good luck
trn the page is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 12:32 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Hi Malone, welcome to the forum. Good advice and descriptiion above. If you eat out, the lunch at the Piggly Wiggly downtown is the best in town. You didn't say when your appointment is. Red Bay is cold in the winter and hot in the summer. Spring and fall it is crowded with snowbird migrations. If it doesn't rain, it's dusty. If it rains, it's muddy. This time year it is likely to snow. If you have any extra work (modifications) that you would like done call Custom RV, Brannon Hutcheson (256) 668-0973 (cell). If it's time for your annual service Bay Diesel is highly recommended (Chris @ (256) 356-8803). Usually you will run into a great bunch of people who are there, like yourself, for service. All the staff are great folks. The sausage you can buy at the office is wonderful. Try not to think about your arteries as you eat it. I always try to get into the campground on Saturday. All sites, reservation or not, are on a first come first served basis. A lot of coaches leave on Friday afternoon and your best shot for a campsite is late Friday or Saturday. If you don't get a regular full hook-up site they have some with electric and water only. During the biggest crowd, some get the runway (the campground is located on the site of the old city airport) which is dry camping. They will move you to full hook-ups in the order of your arrival. You might benefit by stopping over at the Tiffin RV Net TiffinRVNetwork (No connection to Tiffin Motorhomes) website.
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 10:41 AM   #5

Thanks for the info. Appreciate the suggestions. Molone
Molone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 03:53 AM   #6

One other thing is to make a list of the repairs you need to be done.
When you do check into the campground office on arrival they will have you fill out a sheet and if it is more than 3 items it's helpful if they just take your list and staple it to their sheet.
They will also give you a number which you will display on your inside front windshield which helps Norris find you. He will find you to let you know what Bay and what time to show up there.
The Bays open at 7am for service, but just because you have an appt. for that day, does not mean they will get you in at 7am.
That happened to me when I was there early Dec., I was getting upset because I was not called in at 7, but some of the guys on the Tiffin board explained why that happens sometime so I understood it better and could relax.
They ended up calling me in at 1130. Which was not a problem, after I understood the system.
Some people will hang out with their coach if the repairs permit. If yours has to go on a lift, you are not allowed in the area. My husband would go back and forth from the waiting room to the Bay to see what they were repairing at the time. If he was interested, he would stay and watch. Just be careful not to get in their way. Some techs are more friendly than others. You will have to feel them out. You can also walk down the middle of the repair bays.. The isle and see what is going on with other's repairs.
They have a nice waiting room..comfy chairs and couches where many sit comparing " war stories" ..dogs are allowed in the lounge area, just not up on furniture, and at any given moment you will see 2 or 3 easy.
Of course you don't have to stick around there for the day. Just make sure they can contact you via cell, and plan to be back before 3 ...as that is quitting time for the day.
Sorry if some of this was already discussed..
We didn't mind going to RB , but we only have our Tiffin since July, so who knows how we will feel after a few years.
Sumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 08:10 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Lewey's sausage

Sausage comes as 2 or 3 lb pack. When we go back next month I'll get a couple of packs, patty out and freeze in amounts we use at home. Great stuff. Not heart assn approved.
Old 01-29-2012, 01:09 PM   #8

New coach owner suffered "up close" meeting with campground fence post causing scratches + bay door aluminum damage. Hoping to have RB repair this coming April while stopping by for factory tour. I see suggestions re:appt v express (damage will include repainting lower section of 2012 Phaeton + door fix)...anyone have experience with body damage repair @ RB ? Is body/painting done @ factory or referred to "after-hour" employees?
I've also contacted Brannon re modifications..he seems quite nice and accomadating but ....Appreciate any insights...Thanks
handsab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 07:36 PM   #9

Tiffins paint facility is in Belmont Ms. ,about 10 miles from the main plant. I'm not sure if tiffin does there own paint repair but they probably do.
Old 02-01-2012, 05:22 AM   #10

Wifi?

Does the waiting room have wifi?

They have a nice waiting room..comfy chairs and couches where many sit comparing " war stories" ..dogs are allowed in the lounge area, just not up on furniture, and at any given moment you will see 2 or 3 easy.
Of course you don't have to stick around there for the day. Just make sure they can contact you via cell, and plan to be back before 3 ...as that is quitting time for the day.
bubba5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 07:10 AM   #11
paz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger G View Post
Tiffins paint facility is in Belmont Ms. ,about 10 miles from the main plant. I'm not sure if tiffin does there own paint repair but they probably do.
Tiffin does do paint repairs, but not at Belmont. Belmont is strictly for painting new production. Paint repairs are done at the repair facility in Red Bay. However, there is usually a long wait to get in for paint and body work. Tiifn subcontracts work to Bruce Deaton at Custom Paint and McKinney RV Body Shop, and they frequently refer customers to both shops because they can't handle all the work themselves.
Check out our blog: Living Our Dream
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 04:09 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
All of the above is good reference to Red Bay. If you have a new Tiffin with a long list of repairs plan to stay awhile. Two men are assigned to your rig for the day. In my opinion they are very slow. We were there in April of 2011 with our Allegro Bus not expecting to stay for three weeks. We experienced many sirens and had to head to the shelter, one storm was very serious. If you are going there for the first time write for a map or instructions how to get there. Do not rely on your GPS.
Happy traveling while roughing it.
parrett1012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 07:43 AM   #13

Why do so many people have to go to Red Bay for repairs? I stayed one night in their campground in my Monaco and the park was packed. I took a tour and met Bob.

I understand how great the support is. But, it seems to me that the are a lot of repairs needed on these motorhomes. Roof having pieces cut out, water bays rotting, roof leaks in the high end coach, etc. I have a friend with a new Bus has had the roof repaired, new air unit, chassis air not working, tiles broken, bulg in the fiberglass body. It is a good thing Bob provides the great service.

I am sure I will get some strong comments to this post. I have had two units and my first one was a real pain. I actually ordered one last summer and backed out.

Steve
bigdomino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 08:04 AM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
bigdomino makes some very valid remarks. I have been a loyal Tiffin owner and now have a contract on a new rig, but I have been concerned about all the issues regarding the problems sited in bigdomino's post.

I think that there are several reasons for this: First, Bob Tiffin wants people to return to Red Bay for both warranty repairs and otherwise because it is a good business decision. It is cheaper (or more profitable) for the work to be done at RB rather than at an authorized repair facility; Second, many Tiffin owners want to go to the factory for the work to be done and, third; going to Red Bay is like pilgrimage for Tiffin brand owners. It's like a yearly journey back to the place where their motorhome was born. They see old friends and make new ones sort of like at a rally. Newmar folks go back to Indiana as do American Coach owners but not in the numbers like Tiffin people. Is that because of a inferior product built by Tiffin? I think not but that's just my humble opinion.

Bob

CoastieSCPO is offline   Reply With Quote