Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-22-2017, 10:50 AM   #1

Turn off inverter

I am switching off all four of my battery cut off switches but stil have a drain. I suspect that it is the inverter. Is there a switch to turn that off? Thanks.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-22-2017, 10:54 AM   #2
epj

I'm no expert on these systems, but mine has two breakers on the front left that supply AC to the coach. Don't know about DC in.
Old 08-22-2017, 12:23 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
There should be a disconnect switch somewhere on the input side of the inverter. If not you will need to install a disconnect switch. I have one in my 2014 36LA Allegro. It's mounted on the basement wall near the inverter.
flywithcoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 01:47 PM   #4

Thank you!
Old 08-22-2017, 01:50 PM   #5

Mike,
Do I put the switch in the positiv or negative side?
Old 08-22-2017, 02:03 PM   #6

If you add a switch--do it on the positive side. Varies by brand of coach and inverter, but most manufacturers wire the inverter directly to the bats--fused but no switches. Many inverters have a menu option that will put the inverter in "sleep" mode or hibernate. Issue with hidden draws in inverters is that many use a small fan that runs 24/7 to keep moisture out of the unit.
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 03:28 PM   #7

Thanks Old Scout,
I will have the switch put on the positive side. Incidentally, how old do you have to be to be called OLD Scout? Just curious.
Old 08-22-2017, 03:42 PM   #8

OK--you got me! I am in my early 60s but once inherited an "old" 1963 International Harvester "Scout" 800 from my father-in-law. Brought it back to life and used it as a hunting vehicle for several years. Kind of weird but I picked the name as my moniker when I joined IRV2 [smile].....
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 04:05 PM   #9

That is a great bit of history for a young 60 yr old.
Old 08-22-2017, 10:13 PM   #10
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dickschaak View Post
I am switching off all four of my battery cut off switches but stil have a drain. I suspect that it is the inverter. Is there a switch to turn that off? Thanks.
I don't know what inverter controller you have, but on both Magnums I have had there is a button that turns off the inverter. If I leave mine on, it will drain the battery in a few days. If I turn it off, the batteries will stay up for three to four weeks without any problem.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 08:30 AM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dickschaak View Post
Mike,
Do I put the switch in the positiv or negative side?
I didn't install a inverter shut off switch. It came with my 2014 Allegro 36LA. I would install a cutoff switch on the positive side on the input if I didn't have one already. I installed a battery disconnect switch on my old Winnebago on the positive output side of the battery bank. It was a heavy duty knife style switch that mounted directly onto the positive terminal of the house battery. Bought it at RV service center. Can also find one at a Marine parts store. When opened the batteries were disconnected from everything in the coach. Used it when putting the coach in storage.
flywithcoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 01:13 AM   #12

Mike,
I did not install a switch. I just take off the positive wire from the inverter. It just involves removing one 1/2 inch nut. No more battery drain. Thanks for your input.
Old 08-24-2017, 03:18 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Dan View Post
I don't know what inverter controller you have, but on both Magnums I have had there is a button that turns off the inverter. If I leave mine on, it will drain the battery in a few days. If I turn it off, the batteries will stay up for three to four weeks without any problem.
There is still significant draw on the Magnums when "Off". The fact that there is an electronic button that still works says all the electronics are active not only in the panel but in the inverter as well. Either add enough solar to compensate or a battery switch in-line. I've done both.. the battery switch is there as an emergency cutoff incast there is ever a catastrophic failure in the Magnum

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inverter