Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-05-2010, 05:47 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
TV antenna Tiffin is using?

Hope you folks don't mind me busting in to your forum to ask a question. Heck, if I trade it will most likely be to a Tiffin.

We are down here at Lazydays and I have noticed that Tiffin is using a round pancake looking antenna on their units for a TV antenna. Does anyone know who makes that and how well it works?

Thanks,

Bob
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-05-2010, 01:56 PM   #2

Thor Owners Club
I don't know who makes it (my rig is in storage, or I'd look) but I will say I'm happy with it's performance. Much better than the batwing on my previous unit.
MuckSavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 02:40 PM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Its The new Wineguard digital antenna.
davebuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 10:40 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to deadeye916
Does it look like one of these? RoadStar Omnidirectional TV Antennas - Winegard
deadeye916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 12:58 AM   #5

For the life of me I can not figure why all of the manufacturers have not jumped on this like a dog on a bone. One less hole in the ceiling; no having to remember to crank down the bat wing; short people do not need a stool to operate (and many manufacturers are making higher ceilings and bragging about it); no need to orient as wi6th the bat wing. But, like so many other things if they did not think of it then why bother. Here is a case of totally simpler is totally better, Ken....
Ken Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 01:23 AM   #6

Last time I checked the omni didn't have nearly as much gain as the Batwing. As I recall it was about 25% less.
Old 01-06-2010, 03:55 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadeye916 View Post
Does it look like one of these? RoadStar Omnidirectional TV Antennas - Winegard
No it actually looks more like one of these:
Antennacraft Home Page

I was hoping a Tiffin owner that has one could provide verification. There is a hand held control inside the motorhome that rotates the antenna. It is not the remote type that is shown on this website but a tethered one connected by a cable.

Bob
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 07:04 AM   #8

Thor Owners Club
As a Tiffin Owner, Mine looks like this
Antennacraft 5MS9000 Antenna

It has the tethered remote, but the antenna disk is black
MuckSavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 09:09 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Tiffin Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuckSavage View Post
As a Tiffin Owner, Mine looks like this
Antennacraft 5MS9000 Antenna

It has the tethered remote, but the antenna disk is black
Yep....black low profile disk mounted on the metal roof kit.
Old 01-06-2010, 09:20 AM   #10

I have had both the bat-wing and the Winegard Roadstar on our coach and if you have the option of one or the other you absolutely want to have a bat-wing! It out performs the omni-directional antennas and with the addition of the Wingman it had even better performance. The convenience of the Roadstar does not begin to off-set its lack of reception ability.
Bill Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 10:17 AM   #11

I have 2 friends that have the Antennacraft 5MS9000 Antenna they work great. The ability to rotate the antenna with a remote is real helpful. I currently have a similar unit but is "omni directional" it is not! I find I get better reception if I climb up on the roof and rotate it. I plan on swapping it out for an Antennacraft 5MS9000 Antenna soon. Neat thing is they are price completive with the stationary units.
05 Alpine 40FDQS #75330 Towing 24' car hauler, 2012 Spyder, 2003 Harley FatBoy
Wayne R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 12:50 PM   #12

Brandon, at Custom RV in Red Bay is doing a good business replacing those new factory antennas with the Winegard unit. It seems the internals of the new factory rotatable dish antenna do not hold up well to vibration, and some of the internal screws fall out. I questioned a tech at the Tiffin Red Bay repair facility last month and he confirmed the situation. Brandon had about ten of the replacements stacked up ready for installation (after he paints them). I think he said he gets about $150 for the antenna and install (total).
captfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 09:04 PM   #13

Tiffin-installed TV antenna

In the Volume 7, Number 1, page 23, of Roughing it Smoothly by Tiffin, they show it being installed and describe it as a Mini-State HD television antenna made by Triple-H in Red Bay. They say it rotates inside its housing and picks up HD stations within a 100 mile radius.
Higherground is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 07:47 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

The Winegard Roadstar 2000 is what Brannon is now installing. It's the best solution. It does not require aiming and is truly omni-directional. I ordered one from him and it should be arriving today so I'll try to get it installed tonight.

I talked with Dave Humphries, owner of Triple H. They do indeed supply the antenna that Tiffin uses. They have made a change though and the new unit has a 270 degree range, which is much closer to the 360 degree omnidirectional Roadstar 2000. The previous model required using the remote to aim the antenna.

I've heard from any Tiffin owners who have switched that the new HD antennas seem to work better than the batwing. I've heard a few the other way too. I'm guessing all depends on your location. Once I get the Roadstar 2000 installed I'll test and compare before I remove my batwing from the roof and let you know the results. If it's even close Il'l be glad to get rid of the batwing. It's one less thing to have to worry about plus it gets very hard to find without stepping on when I'm removing snow from the roof with a squeegee.
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote