Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-07-2014, 01:16 PM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
TV Upgrade Questions

Hello all, new to the forum and motor home ownership. We recently purchased a 2004 Tiffin Allegro 30DA, in great shape, with only 22k miles on it, with a Ford drive train. This is our first RV since a pop-up we bought new in 1987.

I will be upgrading the TV soon, it still has the original "boat anchor" 26" Panasonic above the dash. I plan to remove the huge box and make a smaller one, and use a new 32" LED TV. My question.. is it better to go AC/DC TV, or a regular 120 volt, with a 12 volt to 120 volt power converter? Also, any recommendations on what brand TV to use? Does one brand perform better than others in the RV world?

Thanks for any and all advice!
DudePa is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-07-2014, 02:30 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Rv tv

In looking at new rigs at RV shows, it seems that manufacturers use several brands. Our new Winnebago has Samsung and Insignia(Best Buy) TVs. I don't believe that "Made for RV" TVs actually are. Mounts may be a different question. As far as 12v vs 120....it is an Inverter that makes 120v out of 12v. I haven't seen larger Class As that had 12v TVs installed at the factory. I always figure that the factory does things for a reason though, sometimes the reason is just to cut costs.
cochise1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 03:59 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Is your Mh equipped with an inverter? Be surprised if its not.
garykk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 04:11 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have Sharp. Samsung and Vizio TV's in my MH. All have performed well.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 04:17 PM   #5

My guess is that if you do have an inverter is is most likely a modified sine wave. The newer flat screen TVs may not function on a MSW inverter. You may need to upgrade the inverter to a Pure Sine Wave inverter.
Be sure to check that out before doing any real work.
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 04:23 PM   #6

Quality of 12 volt TVs

I think you'll find that the 12v TVs are not as high quality, or as feature complete, as the name brand regular 110v Televisions.

But consider the conditions under which you will watch TV. I bought a 12v, but normally plug in or inverter will do the trick. Next time I would by a name brand regular HDTV.
Old 05-08-2014, 04:58 AM   #7
paz

Quote:
Originally Posted by garykk View Post
Is your Mh equipped with an inverter? Be surprised if its not.
Inverters were not available on older Allegros. If there is one, it was an add-on.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 05:05 AM   #8
paz

Quote:
Originally Posted by DudePa View Post
Hello all, new to the forum and motor home ownership. We recently purchased a 2004 Tiffin Allegro 30DA, in great shape, with only 22k miles on it, with a Ford drive train. This is our first RV since a pop-up we bought new in 1987.

I will be upgrading the TV soon, it still has the original "boat anchor" 26" Panasonic above the dash. I plan to remove the huge box and make a smaller one, and use a new 32" LED TV. My question.. is it better to go AC/DC TV, or a regular 120 volt, with a 12 volt to 120 volt power converter? Also, any recommendations on what brand TV to use? Does one brand perform better than others in the RV world?

Thanks for any and all advice!
I would go with a standard residential TV and add a small inverter to power it. That way, you will have many more TVs to choose from. A small PSW inverter (300-400 watts) won't be that expensive because it won't have to have charging capabilities. You can continue to use the charger on your converter for the house batteries.

BTW, when removing the overhead TV, the front frame is held in place by 2 long screws through each of the side cabinets. The screws go into "wings" on the front frame that extend back into the cabinet. Also be aware the front TV weighs over 60 lbs, so have a helper available to get it down. One of you will have to hold the TV about chest high while the other snakes the power cord out from the side cabinet and disconnects the coax.
Old 05-08-2014, 06:26 AM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks to all for the tips and advice, very helpful!

There is no inverter currently, I plan to use a small 160 watt inverter that I already have, just for the TV.

paz - I was quite puzzled how the front panel was mounted, I discovered the 4 long screws holding the front frame in place after searching posts on this forum... I knew the screws were there (4 per side) but was hesitant to remove them before knowing what they were holding, could have gone badly...
DudePa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 08:43 AM   #10
paz

Quote:
Originally Posted by DudePa View Post
Thanks to all for the tips and advice, very helpful!

There is no inverter currently, I plan to use a small 160 watt inverter that I already have, just for the TV.

paz - I was quite puzzled how the front panel was mounted, I discovered the 4 long screws holding the front frame in place after searching posts on this forum... I knew the screws were there (4 per side) but was hesitant to remove them before knowing what they were holding, could have gone badly...
Of the 4 screws per side, 2 hold the cabinets together (I think they're the dark ones), and the 2 long ones hold the frame. Don't worry about removing the wrong screws. The cabinets won't fall down because they are also firmly screwed to a metal strip imbedded in the ceiling.
Old 05-08-2014, 10:14 AM   #11

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Better to go AC or DC..

Good question: If you boondock a lot a 12 volt TV is more efficient than a 120 volt with a power brick, this is because conversion from 12 volt to 120 volt is only at best 90% efficient and conversion back to 12, about the same. HOWEVER some folks believe that the 13.6 to 14.6 volt system in a motor home (it is not really 12) may damage a sensitive TV.. Me... NOTE: I do not belong to that school. But then my 12 volt TV is really a 14 volt TV. (Samsung).

If you do not boondock a lot. Go with the 120 volt THat is what I did.
Old 05-08-2014, 10:43 AM   #12

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
WE BOUGHT A 32 INCH TV DURING WALMART'S BLACK FRIDAY SALE FOR $100.00. WORKS GREAT AND IT IS A HDTV. i WOULD NOT EVEN CONSIDER A 12 VOLT TV BECAUSE OF THE COST.
IF MY CHEAP ONE BREAKS, I WILL THROW IT AWAY AND GET A NEW ONE.
hydro45640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 01:54 PM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
But you better have a helper! Those boat anchors are heavy and when you pull out the screws someone has to hold the thing while you unhook the wires. What puzzles me about this is the need for an inverter. On my 2004 the TV plug worked off shore power. I didn't have it on while driving. So unless you need to operate while driving you should just be able to plug the new one into the old plug. New draws less power than old. I replaced mine without an inverter addition.
Melmoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 02:03 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

I would certainly not go with a 12v/120v unit.... Instead, I would just look for an LED/LCD set because they are so much thinner and lighter. Measure the opening you have to fill and then go to Amazon to check the dimensions of the various sets available.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
upgrade