Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-12-2019, 05:26 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Unable to get cable TV to work - 2014 45LP Bus

Does anyone that has a 2014 45LP Bus know where the cable TV splitter is in this coach? We are unable to get our cable tv to work. We have never used it before since purchasing our coach last year. The campground staff has checked the pedestal and everything is working on their end so it is us. We are in a heavily treed area so our satellite dish does not work. We have turned the antenna booster off and changed the input selection on the remote.
journey15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-12-2019, 09:23 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
I have the same bus and I can't think of anything to suggest other than did you go to menu on the tv and switch to Cable, then run the auto program?
brandss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 12:49 PM   #3
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Usually the splitter is in the upper cabinet behind the panel near where the cable/antenna switch is located. As Scott suggested, did you run the Channel Auto Program on the TV after you switched the input? You have to do that every time you change locations for OTA programming or cable. It's not like the old analog days when channel 4 was the same everywhere. With digital programming the frequencies are all different.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 05:03 AM   #4

The splitter is behind the antenna/cable switch in the cabinet above the dash on the passenger side. You have to unscrew the wood panel in the back of the cabinet to get to it.

You may also check in the wet bay where you connect the cable from the pedestal. I have seen where the cable gets loose on the back side of the cable connector from the continual connecting and disconnecting. To get access to that cable connection there is a sheet metal panel above the cable/satellite/phone connectors in the wet bay, unscrew and remove it and you should be able to reach your hand behind it and feel for the connector.

Good luck
mspicer1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 05:38 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by journey15 View Post
Does anyone that has a 2014 45LP Bus know where the cable TV splitter is in this coach? We are unable to get our cable tv to work. We have never used it before since purchasing our coach last year. The campground staff has checked the pedestal and everything is working on their end so it is us. We are in a heavily treed area so our satellite dish does not work. We have turned the antenna booster off and changed the input selection on the remote.

Before you start pulling stuff apart.
1) obtain a 20 ft. coax (Home Depot/Walmart/Lowes).
2) run it directly to your coax input on the TV, out the window, and then to the pedestal.
3) set the TV input to cable (this may be 2 steps ... select ANT/CABLE input (the coax) then CABLE (the tuner)).
4) scan for all cable channels and let the scan run all the way to the end.
5) test the TV.
This will eliminate nearly all components so you can do further testing.
Old 05-14-2019, 05:31 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceisla View Post
2) run it directly to your coax input on the TV, out the window, and then to the pedestal.
3) set the TV input to cable (this may be 2 steps ... select ANT/CABLE input (the coax) then CABLE (the tuner)).
5) test the TV.
Not sure how we can run a cable out of the window... The screens are not removable in this coach. But thanks for the idea!
Old 05-14-2019, 05:57 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by journey15 View Post
Not sure how we can run a cable out of the window... The screens are not removable in this coach. But thanks for the idea!

Use the door ... it's just a test. Or maybe the driver toll window. I have to do this occasionally ... you will have other occurrences as you travel.
Old 05-14-2019, 07:25 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Use the door ... it's just a test. Or maybe the driver toll window. I have to do this occasionally ... you will have other occurrences as you travel.
You may need to get the 50' of Coax, but this is good advice. Always figure out if the signal is actually good, and the TV can receive it prior to seeing what is wrong in the middle.

With my Bus, making sure that the over the air antenna powered boost is off was always the key
pete5016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 12:02 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Dan View Post
Usually the splitter is in the upper cabinet behind the panel near where the cable/antenna switch is located. As Scott suggested, did you run the Channel Auto Program on the TV after you switched the input? You have to do that every time you change locations for OTA programming or cable. It's not like the old analog days when channel 4 was the same everywhere. With digital programming the frequencies are all different.
Did that thanks..
Old 05-14-2019, 12:03 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mspicer1234 View Post
The splitter is behind the antenna/cable switch in the cabinet above the dash on the passenger side. You have to unscrew the wood panel in the back of the cabinet to get to it.

No splitter back there anywhere! Thanks...

You may also check in the wet bay where you connect the cable from the pedestal. I have seen where the cable gets loose on the back side of the cable connector from the continual connecting and disconnecting. To get access to that cable connection there is a sheet metal panel above the cable/satellite/phone connectors in the wet bay, unscrew and remove it and you should be able to reach your hand behind it and feel for the connector.

Good luck
This will be the next step as soon as it warms up!!
Old 05-14-2019, 12:05 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
5) test the TV.
Problem is getting to the back of the TV!! They are all screwed down!!
Old 05-14-2019, 12:06 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete5016 View Post
You may need to get the 50' of Coax, but this is good advice. Always figure out if the signal is actually good, and the TV can receive it prior to seeing what is wrong in the middle.

With my Bus, making sure that the over the air antenna powered boost is off was always the key
This was the first thing we did!! Thanks!
Old 05-14-2019, 12:08 PM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Thanks to everyone who responded! We have tried every suggestion that anyone made to us! This may have to wait until we get to Red Bay and consult Nick Brewer..

Crisis is over because Clay bought a portable Traveler dish to put outside. As of this moment, even though it is overcast and the leaves are popping out on the trees, we finally have HD!!

Thanks again!
Old 06-03-2019, 10:54 PM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by mspicer1234 View Post

Good luck
I just bought a used 2017 Zephyr and had the same issue, couldn't get cable reception, so I ran a coax directly to the main TV and it worked. I have two connections in the wet bay, one labeled "cable" the other labeled "tripod". The Tripod connector was loose so, on my unit, there's a removeable panel with the WP switch and also the tank monitor panel so I removed that to gain access to the connectors. Found BOTH connections were unhooked, no cable to either one. I tightened up the connectors and reattached the cables to the correct connector. I wasn't able to verify the cable is working yet as I had other projects I was doing but I'm fairly certain that will solve my issue. I'll reply back when I determine if it fixed my issue. Good luck!

Tags
cable