RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-30-2017, 10:06 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
unused dishwasher

Has anyone swapped out the dishwasher in the rig? I don't use it at all. What did you put in its place? I would like a drawer for pots and pans.

fresno63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-30-2017, 10:40 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
We also do not use the dishwasher, but on ours (Fisher-Paykel, I think, not sure) there is a lock that took us a while to find. Once we had it locked, the weight of the pots and pans stored inside did not cause the drawer to open when we turned.

Old 09-30-2017, 11:14 AM   #3
RVM 18

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
When I got a large check I decided to swap my unused range for a Fisher-Paykel DW. I refer to it as my $700 junk drawer.
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 11:53 AM   #4

Do you not use a dish washer at home? Taking out the dish washer will reduce the resale of your RV. If you need additional space for pots and pans then got get new ones that all nest down into a small space. They are often called "galley ware". Rapid Chef and MagnaWare both make high quality nesting cookware that are inductin compatable.
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 01:32 PM   #5

We don't have Tiffin but,we removed ours and put in a three drawer cabinet that we use as a pantry. When we bought our RV it was 10 years old and the dishwasher had never been used. We have been glamping with a lot of folks over the last 9.5 years and haven't heard of any of them using the dishwasher. Most of them have a built-in human dishwasher
BUB1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 10:59 AM   #6

We used ours at first, but the DW just started washing in the sink. We found that the dishwasher was a great place to store the dishes along with some pans along with paper plates and cups. That freed up some cabinet space for other "Things". When resale time comes (hopefully not for a long long time) the dishwasher is still there for the next owner. We do empty it occasionally to run water through it to keep the seals from drying out.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 11:04 AM   #7

Love my dishwasher. Use the heck out of it.
Blondiega1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 11:10 AM   #8

Newmar Essex ... when we bought the RV used, it had a Fisher-Paykel that had never been used. When we tried it, it had sensor errors. Rather than repair/replace we removed the unit and replaced it with stainless slide-out kitchen cabinet shelving from Lowes (about $70). I reused the wood paneling from the dishwasher and bolted it to the shelving. We hand wash since it's only 2 of us. Shelving holds 5 skillets, 2 saucepans, a panini maker, lids, and a strainer. Magnetic catches keep it closed. Love it.

I don't worry about resale (12 years old). You may feel different but if you keep the RV for 5 years or more the dishwasher is only worth $50 and the convenience of the shelving is worth more than that to me. You can sell a new/used one for enough to pay for conversion.
Old 10-02-2017, 11:34 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Thanks for the ideas! I wanted it for the pots and pans. Did the Lowes purchase fit on the same rails the dishwasher ran on?
fresno63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 12:07 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by fresno63 View Post
Thanks for the ideas! I wanted it for the pots and pans. Did the Lowes purchase fit on the same rails the dishwasher ran on?

No ... in my case, the dishwasher rails are part of the "enclosure". You remove everything (similar to a microwave). This left the flat portion of the cabinet exposed (just like a house kitchen cabinet). I shimmed the Lowes unit at the bottom until it fit the opening where I wanted it (needs to clear the bottom cabinet face). Minimal work. If you don't have a wood face on the dishwasher, you'll have to improvise. From the front, mine looks the same as the dishwasher and matches the other cabinet doors/drawers.

Tags
dish