RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-22-2014, 06:36 PM   #29

Monaco Owners Club
Looking back through the post it seems that you haven't identified what your specific Inverter and model number are so it can be researched on the web.

My Xantrex/Trace RV-2102 has two RJ11 connectors, one for the remote and one for the Battery Temp Sensor.

Dr4Film ----- Richard

Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-22-2014, 09:54 PM   #30

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by kab449 View Post
The port is on the side of the inverter and is marked "Remote". It didn't unplug it and count the wires but the cable coming out of the connector is definitely a cat 5 or 6 cable identified by its blue color. The cable is about a foot long. It is stripped back and only two of the wires are connected to two yellow wires that disappear into the belly of the coach.
I do have a telephone jack on the wall at the dinette that comes from the wet bay.
The reason I asked is the different jacks that are involved. Cat 5= RJ45 Telephone = RJ11. I have seen several things on my motor home and others that I have looked at which use RJ11 jacks and basically phone cable to connect. The remote for my inverter. The remote for my Power monitoring unit. The control for my awning wind detector. I was just pointing out before you start your wiring project you might want to make sure it is an RJ45 versus RJ11

gemini5362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 07:53 PM   #31

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Smile Waiting for a response from Tiffin

Quote:
Any ideas on where to mount the remote and route the wires? My inverter has a cat 5 wire plugged into the remote port, but it immediately is spliced to two yellow wires that disappear into the belly of the coach. I'm thinking this is how the touch pad by the refrigerator gets the voltage readout.
We really like the coach having used it 4 times before winterizing. Can't wait till spring.
Don't know if I'll ever get camping on Long Island but we do hit a lot of the ones in PA, DE, and MD during the summer. Perhaps you will get to this area sometime and we'll meet.
Keith,

I have the same splice. I wrote to Tiffin and I am waiting for their response. As soon as I find out what is utilizing that Cat 5 jack I'll let you know. I have the remote on order. If you follow my advice on switching the mode to charge only take note that the fan will cycle for 5-10 seconds all 6 LEDS will flash. The left bank of three LEDS will keep the green on solid indicating full capacity and the right green will continuously blink reminding you that the inverter is in the charge only setting. The same will happen on the remote.

This hopefully will prompt you to switch back to inverter/charger when you get underway.

Once I find out what is using the jack I plan on connecting the remote and going through the back of the inverter storage bin, across the chassis and pop back up under the cabinet closest to the frig. I'll remove the drawers, seal the penetration and chase right up that wall and find a nice home near the stat and the systems. monitor.

Again, sorry for all the folks that think they're helping with their advice....They mean well....But this is a open forum so you have to take the good with the bad.

We visited Hershey twice this past summer and stayed at their High Bridge resort campground. Great place and we had a fantastic time. We'll get back there again this summer again for sure. Perhaps that might interest you. BTW I am a Master Diving Instructor so if you're a diver or would like to become one there is a great diving location very close by in Bethlehem.

Jonathan
Old 01-23-2014, 08:11 PM   #32

Jonathan
Where did you order the remote? Sounds like a plan on the routing.
I live 30 miles from Hershey and have camped there many times. They just changed the name to Hershey Park Camping Resort to solidify the relationship with the park.
The only time I have ever went diving was in Hawaii. Took the first dive test and made two 15 minute dives. Enjoyed it but found out I'm more comfortable on top of the water.
When Tiffin gets back to you, Let me know if the remote port as used on our coaches is to provide the voltage reading to the readout on the wall by the refrigerator as I think.
kab449 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 10:04 PM   #33

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Smile Inverter remote link

Quote:
Jonathan

When Tiffin gets back to you, Let me know if the remote port as used on our coaches is to provide the voltage reading to the readout on the wall by the refrigerator as I think.
Keith,
The link was right off the Tripp-Lite site that refers you to several third party retailers. I have used CDW in the past for other items and have never had any problems. They are also the least expensive of the four retailers.

Tripp Lite Remote Control for Inverter / Charger APS / PV models w/ RJ45 - APSRM4 - Remote Power Management - CDW.com
Old 01-23-2014, 10:16 PM   #34

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
The port is on the side of the inverter and is marked "Remote". It didn't unplug it and count the wires but the cable coming out of the connector is definitely a cat 5 or 6 cable identified by its blue color. The cable is about a foot long. It is stripped back and only two of the wires are connected to two yellow wires that disappear into the belly of the coach.
I do have a telephone jack on the wall at the dinette that comes from the wet bay.
I went to their web site which I should have taken the time to do in the first place. It is a cat 5 (RJ45) connector.
gemini5362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 08:49 PM   #35

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Smile

Quote:
Jonathan
I live 30 miles from Hershey and have camped there many times. They just changed the name to Hershey Park Camping Resort to solidify the relationship with the park.
The only time I have ever went diving was in Hawaii. Took the first dive test and made two 15 minute dives. Enjoyed it but found out I'm more comfortable on top of the water.
Hi Keith,

Sorry it took me so long to get back about the remote.

First off I purchased it through Amazon and here is the link Amazon.com : Tripp Lite APSRM4 Remote Control for Inverter / Charger APS / PV models w/ RJ45 : Vehicle Power Inverters : Electronics

I had several phone conversations with Daniel Allen from Tiffin. Accolades to Tiffin for employing a Cracker Jack like him! Helpful and extremely knowledgable. Here's a guy that clearly enjoys working for Tiffin. He put together a mockup in Red Bay to make sure that the functionality that I was looking to achieve would work properly. He took photos and sent them so there was no question about what should be done. I have a few other posts on the IRV2 forums praising the Tiffin organization for their class A customer service.

Ok, so first off the cable attached to the remote jack is connected to the battery disconnect switch by the PS door. If you shut this off on the way out you are in essence not allowing 12volt power from the battery to go to the inverter. The inverter is bypassed and the 120 volt service connected to the inverter goes straight through and will power the outlets that are connected to the inverter output.

I was able to purchase a splitter that has a pigtail and connects to the remote jack on the inverter. Now with the splitter in place you connect the Tiffin battery disconnect connector and the new cable supplied with the remote. The RJ45 splitter is straight through wired which means either the switch at the door or the remote will control the inverter with competing with each other. I mounted the remote above the multi-switch and system readout panel.

Link for the splitter Amazon.com : Premium 12-Inch RJ45 Splitter Adapter Cable Male / Female / Female - If you are connecting 2 computers to one internet access, please make sure only ONE computer is ON at any one time : Electronics Cable Adapters : Electronics

Now I can put the inverter into a charge only mode when I am hook-ed up with shore power. I can also view battery status and the output load right from the same panel by looking at the LED displays. The disconnect at the door is and should be used when you want to disconnect the batteries from the inverter so there is no draw at all.

Lastly, I choose a very simply route for the remote 50' RJ45 cable. Out the back of the inverter storage compartment, up on the chassis and across to under the kitchen cabinets. I went up through the floor and removed a few drawers so I could fish it up and then it was a straight shot right up the wall to where I mounted the panel. Pretty cut and dry simple.

Hope this helps, let me know if you have any questions.

PS We are booked into Hershey Campground from July 3rd through the 7th, perhaps we can meet up!

Enjoy, Jonathan