RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-05-2013, 05:55 AM   #1

Update at Red Bay

We arrived at Red Bay yesterday to find a full house. No spots left at camp ground or overfill lot. Had to go across the street to McKinney's Rv to plug in and wait. They also had about a dozen motor homes in the dry camping area. We are waiting for the guy to come around this morning to talk to us about
repairs needed. Sure hope we get good news. We just bought our 2006 Phaeton while in Ft Myers for the winter and would like to have it checked out for the common issues we read about online. (Wet bay, roof rail cracks and slide floor) as well as a couple of other things. Will keep you posted.......

dilarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-05-2013, 03:46 PM   #2

The guy that checks the coaches for roof rail, slide floor, and wet bay issues will probably be knocking on your door long before any repair tech gets there.

After noting the time stamp on your post, I'm betting that he has already been there.

Old 03-05-2013, 05:10 PM   #3

Erneih, actually we never did see the guy to check the roof rails today. The tech guy came by and talked to us about the repairs needed and said the other guy would be around but he never showed.
Old 03-06-2013, 04:48 AM   #4

This is why we've shied away from Tiffin. I keep hearing from Tiffin owners how great Tiffin is about fixing problems, then I read a post like this one about how there are so many coach's at Red Bay trying to get fixed. Sorry, but I didn't buy my coach so I would have to sit waiting to have it repaired, or having to make numerous treks to Red Bay.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 11:20 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramets View Post
This is why we've shied away from Tiffin. I keep hearing from Tiffin owners how great Tiffin is about fixing problems, then I read a post like this one about how there are so many coach's at Red Bay trying to get fixed. Sorry, but I didn't buy my coach so I would have to sit waiting to have it repaired, or having to make numerous treks to Red Bay.
Tiffin had problems transitioning to the full fiberglass roof. As of 2012 the problems with roofs have been solved. They stood for the repairs and that is something probably no other manufacturer would have. In fact, Tiffin even does repairs on known issues when a coach is out of warranty. Name another RV builder that has this reputation?

In 2012 four of the five top selling Class A motorhomes were Tiffins. Having Red Bay available if one needs work is reassuring to most. I know it is important in my interest in Tiffins and I live thousands of miles from Red Bay.
Falcon 2 All terrain tow bar, RVi2 brake, Towmate TM3 wireless lights
avid_dk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 11:37 AM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
my neighbor had his 2006 phaeton repaired last year up there,
they did a great job and it was imo a timely event.....4 weeks
new floor in the main slide and roof rails plus a few odds and ends
they did a pretty good job...except the couch was never rebolted to the floor
but over all a top notch repair for what all had to be taken apart
plus all but the odds were covered by tiffin

powerboatr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 04:51 PM   #7

Update on Red Bay:
We are still here Thurs awaiting the wet bay repair. They tell us cap rails and slide floor are ok. In the mean time the techs here have fixed a loud squeak in the floor, replaced a water heater light, replaced water pump light, fixed loud noise in furnace fan (mud dobber nest), replaced carpeting that had water stain from a leaky window and have done all in a Very friendly and polite manner. They have it down to a fine science here and so far........could not be happier with the way things have been handled. We have owned a Damon and Coachmen and never received treatment like this with either coach. We took the factory tour today and was very impressed with the whole process..
I don't know of another mtr hm company that fixes an issue in a seven - eight year old coach free. I wish we had bought a Tiffin in the first place
Old 03-08-2013, 06:45 AM   #8
paz

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilarson View Post
We arrived at Red Bay yesterday to find a full house. No spots left at camp ground or overfill lot. Had to go across the street to McKinney's Rv to plug in and wait. They also had about a dozen motor homes in the dry camping area. We are waiting for the guy to come around this morning to talk to us about
repairs needed. Sure hope we get good news. We just bought our 2006 Phaeton while in Ft Myers for the winter and would like to have it checked out for the common issues we read about online. (Wet bay, roof rail cracks and slide floor) as well as a couple of other things. Will keep you posted.......
If you ever have to go back to Red Bay in the future, try to arrive on a Saturday, especially in the late fall and early spring when snowbirds are heading to or from Florida. Tiffin tries to clear out as many people as possible by the time they close on Friday. Most people don't want to spend the weekend there, so the majority of them leave on Saturday morning, and new arrivals start to pour in on Sunday. Therefore, you have a better chance at finding an open spot at the campground if you arrive late Saturday morning or early Saturday afternoon.
Check out our blog: Living Our Dream
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 07:57 AM   #9

dilarson - How is the weather? We have a new 36LA with some issues. I don't want to take it back to the dealership for several reasons. I will have to drive to Red Bay and take my chances. If I have to stay two weeks (they tell me that is the wait time) I am concerned about cold and maybe snow.

I still love my Tiffin over any other models. This is our second.
Ewings2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 10:34 AM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Red Bay experience

How uncanny.....we too, just bought a '06 Phaeton in Fort Myers in January. Planning a cross country trip out west starting end of April.
Thinking we may stop at Red Bay on the return trip. Very interested in your observations and advice.
Thanks
SWFlaPhaeton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 08:11 PM   #11

We are also in Red Bay with our 2006 Phaeton motor home. The service here has been excellent, we are very happy with the work that has been done and with the people doing the work. We have been here just over two weeks and feel that we have been treated as if we had just bought a brand new coach needing work. The people in the camp ground are also some of the most friendly people we have ever met. Good old southern hospitality is what it is!!
dannynpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 04:52 AM   #12

@ Ewings2
It was pretty cold when we got here last Monday but it is warming up now, 70 today and tmrw. We were called last night and told to report to a bay Monday morning at 7am so the wait for us is one week to the day. Paz is correct on the best time to come in being Saturday or Sunday. The place cleared out a lot by Thursday - Friday. This place is so much better than taking your coach to a dealer that I probably will make this a yearly stop on our way home from Florida if need be. La Mesa charges $135.00 per hour and the fee here $95.00. Plus they take what you say as needing fixed seriously and don't try to convince you otherwise. (Like La Mesa did when buying our coach).
Old 03-09-2013, 06:41 AM   #13

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ewings2 View Post
dilarson - How is the weather? We have a new 36LA with some issues. I don't want to take it back to the dealership for several reasons. I will have to drive to Red Bay and take my chances. If I have to stay two weeks (they tell me that is the wait time) I am concerned about cold and maybe snow.

I still love my Tiffin over any other models. This is our second.
What issues are you having? I have a 36 LA on order so Im a little concerned
hanko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 03:53 PM   #14

Hanko, did you send me a private message asking about my 36LA issues? If that was not you, let me know and I will copy you on my email.

Ewings2 is offline   Reply With Quote