Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-16-2019, 04:46 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Upside Down Electrical Outlets

Hi Everyone,
This one's a head scratcher. I just bought a new 2020 Wayfarer RW. Every electrical outlet in the coach is upside down. I checked other units on the lot, same thing. Is this intentional?

By upside down, I mean that the center ground lug on the plug is on the top instead of on the bottom. I've never seen that done before. I suspect it's for some good reason but nobody I've talked to knows.
Thanks,
Randy
f14av8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-16-2019, 04:53 AM   #2

They aren't up side down, that's the correct way to install them. The reason behind that is if an electrical item is plugged into the receptacle, and for some reason the plug became partial unplugged and something fell down on the plug that was metal, the first point of contact would most likely be the ground prong. If it were turned the other way, writhe the hot and neutral on top and that same item feel, more likelihood it could short across the two blades.
xrated is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 04:55 AM   #3

I've seen them both ways and my contractor buddy tells me ground lug up is fairly std in commercial installations.
theory I have heard is that if a metal cover plate comes loose and slips down it hits ground not short between hot / neutral??
I'd be interested to hear from others in the know.
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 05:03 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winemaker2 View Post
I've seen them both ways and my contractor buddy tells me ground lug up is fairly std in commercial installations.
theory I have heard is that if a metal cover plate comes loose and slips down it hits ground not short between hot / neutral??
Makes sense and it's certainly not a big deal but I've never seen that is a residential installation for sure!
f14av8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 05:14 AM   #5

Their bilt in Alabama what do you expect? Dave
Old 05-16-2019, 05:29 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
it is correct that there is no up or down with outlets and they can be put in either way, being an electrician for 45 years I have had places that wanted them ground up and places that wanted ground down. in the national electrical code there is no mention of a right way to install an outlet.
Old 05-16-2019, 05:36 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
While I have no idea on the up verses down, I have always wondered why the newer style 20-amp outlets (https://www.howtogeek.com/266589/the...in-your-house/) seems be always be ground up.
DeWat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 05:39 AM   #8

I agree with xrated. I learned this in college many years ago. Don't know why ground up is not a common practice.
JPeterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 05:47 AM   #9

i added on a small apartment..
a neighbor was an old electrician... real old.

my house was built 25 years ago... ground plug down.

electrician insisted on putting ground plug up!! he mentioned codes and some of the explanations above...
so we did -- ground plugs up!
rockriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 05:49 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrated View Post
They aren't up side down, that's the correct way to install them. The reason behind that is if an electrical item is plugged into the receptacle, and for some reason the plug became partial unplugged and something fell down on the plug that was metal, the first point of contact would most likely be the ground prong. If it were turned the other way, writhe the hot and neutral on top and that same item feel, more likelihood it could short across the two blades.
And the flip side of that thinking is that if the plug was to become loose then the ground would be the first to not have contact leaving power on the plug with no ground attached. Truth is there is no right way. It all depends on what part of the country you live in. Kinda like eating BBQ sauce. The NEC does not address the issue. 95% of pictures you see of receptacles have the ground down. Go to Amazon and have a look.
Old 05-16-2019, 05:51 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockriver View Post
i added on a small apartment..
a neighbor was an old electrician... real old.

my house was built 25 years ago... ground plug down.

electrician insisted on putting ground plug up!! he mentioned codes and some of the explanations above...
so we did -- ground plugs up!
There is no code.
Old 05-16-2019, 05:52 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by alv3769 View Post
it is correct that there is no up or down with outlets and they can be put in either way, being an electrician for 45 years I have had places that wanted them ground up and places that wanted ground down. in the national electrical code there is no mention of a right way to install an outlet.
What he said. Cavie, too. Sideways is also legal.

On a trades and engineering only electrical forum I frequent (DIYers get bounced), in fact, that question will get you whacked upside the head. It's a Ford/Chevy (or diesel/gasser) type subject, and the mere mention is like you walked in with a dog park on your shoes.
KanzKran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 05:54 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winemaker2 View Post
If it comes loose it's falling on the floor. It is physically impossible for it to fall behind the Receptical.
Old 05-16-2019, 05:56 AM   #14

I have seen (experienced) "ground up" installations in homes ... they indicated "switched - controlled" outlets. Typically a wall switch at entry and an associated floor/table lamp outlet. Installer's choice.

Tags
electric, electrical