RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-11-2013, 06:07 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to dee911
Visiting Red Bay

We are heading to Red Bay for the first time right after Thanksgiving. Do I need to call ahead or do anything other than show up? We have some repairs that we need and obviously we'll need a place to stay. Since I understand they don't take reservations anymore, what happens if the CG is full - is there another place in the area? I would hate to show up and have no where to go. Thanks to anyone who can offer pointers.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-11-2013, 07:14 PM   #2
paz

You don't need to call ahead - just show up. There are no reservations for the campground just like there are no appointments for service.

There are about 100 full hookup sites in the campground, and another dozen or so with electric and water. If all those are full, there is plenty of room to dry camp until a site opens up. There is also a campground down the street with about a dozen sites. I think it's called the Red Bay Self Service Campground. No reservations there either.

There are lots of snowbirds who stop at Red Bay at this time of year, so they tend to be very busy. They try to get as many people as possible finished up and out of there by the weekend, so the best time to show up and be able to get a site this time of year is early Saturday afternoon.

When you check into the campground, they give you a number. Usually within 1 or 2 working days, Norris will come to your coach (presumably in the order in which you arrived) to find out what needs to be done and schedule you into a service bay. I'm not sure how that works if you happen to get a site at the campground down the street.

Check out our blog: Living Our Dream
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 07:22 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
When you get to the Tiffin Campground they will sign you in and give you instructions on what to expect even if you can not get a spot in the campground.

For more information check out the Tiffin RV Network.

Tiffin RV Network

Jon
2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 07:34 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to dee911
Visiting Red Bay

Thank you! I was worried that we'd get there and be scrambling for a place to stay. Nice to know that we can be assured of a place to dry camp if necessary.
Old 11-11-2013, 07:42 PM   #5

Good luck. I got there Oct 5th with a list requiring over 3 hours general work, a visit to the mechanical bay, a day at the catwalk bay for Paramount awning work, and a new windshield in the windshield bay. My work was done on Nov 6th. I was there 4 1/2 weeks waiting for service. When I got there we got right into a full service campsite, meaning there was about 100 rigs waiting for service. Within a week, there were 169 rigs waiting for service and they were being sent as far away as Florence, Al. When I left I think there were about 120-130 waiting.

Stay loose and don't make any major commitments elsewhere for a month or more if you have more than a very minor list of things to fix.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 07:13 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Things are calming down in Red Bay now. Seems the snowbirds are moving on. I think you will not have a problem getting in the Tiffin campground at this time. As stated the second choice is the Red Bay Self-service campground less than a quarter mile from the service center. Then there is also Detail Depot right across the street from the entrance. There should be somewhere for you to stay without a problem.
Melmoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 07:18 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Other options????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigman1 View Post
Good luck. I got there Oct 5th with a list requiring over 3 hours general work, a visit to the mechanical bay, a day at the catwalk bay for Paramount awning work, and a new windshield in the windshield bay. My work was done on Nov 6th. I was there 4 1/2 weeks waiting for service. When I got there we got right into a full service campsite, meaning there was about 100 rigs waiting for service. Within a week, there were 169 rigs waiting for service and they were being sent as far away as Florence, Al. When I left I think there were about 120-130 waiting.

Stay loose and don't make any major commitments elsewhere for a month or more if you have more than a very minor list of things to fix.
This does not sound like fun to me! Does having a appointment help with the waiting time?
Old 11-12-2013, 07:27 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Palehorse89, I believe in the post above Tiffin owners say there are no appointments taken! First come, first served.
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 07:29 AM   #9
paz

Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
This does not sound like fun to me! Does having a appointment help with the waiting time?
Tiffin no longer schedules appointments for service. It's all first come-first served. Wait times will depend on how much and what kind of service you need to have done.
Check out our blog: Living Our Dream
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 07:29 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
WOW!

Thanks for the reply
Old 11-15-2013, 03:28 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
I know Tiffin still schedules appointments for coaches less than 1 year old. It may even be extended to 2 years. I was informed of this while at Red Bay recently.
I spent a little over 6 weeks in Red Bay starting August 15th of this year. We must have hit the lottery with needing all of the "BigThree" repairs to be done. Tiffin replaced the roof rails, the wet bay, and the floor of the large drivers side slide. Each of these three items took less than half a day to complete. But each of these items required the coach being scheduled into a different bay on different days. Because of the large quantity of coaches with some or all of these problems they have allocated specific bays, crews, and equipment for these tasks. So there is a long waiting line for these specific services and these same people are occupying a lot of the campground sites as they wait.
The Initial problem was the slide floor which was found during a pre purchase inspection on our 2010 QTH. Our dealer called Tiffin and they confirmed they would cover it under warranty. When we arrived at the campground at Red Bay is when the other two items were found and brought to our attention. They also agreed to cover these items under warranty. In fact, while I was in a general service bay the technician found a number of things he felt needed to be taken care of and got approval to repair/replace them on Tiffins dime. I am totally pleased with the way I was treated and the quality of the service I received.
Will I return? Sure, but only if it calls for something I can't get done by my dealer or another local tech. Sorry to say but Red Bay is not my kind of campground. It is sufficient but not spectacular. But then I can't complain when paying $10 per day if having warranty work done, even if it is out of date items like, rails, wet, bay, and slide floor.
johnsong3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 04:02 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsong3 View Post
I know Tiffin still schedules appointments for coaches less than 1 year old. It may even be extended to 2 years. I was informed of this while at Red Bay recently.

As of 10/01/2013 Tiffin no longer schedules ANY appointments for ANY year coaches. This was posted on their former appointment website on 6/01/2013, and was thoroughly discussed on the TRVN Owner website. So who ever informed you of this was incorrect.
Old 11-15-2013, 04:21 PM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Maybe I am misinformed but I was there on starting on August 15th of this year for six weeks. I am not aware of there posting any changes to their policy but be assured their were dozens of people showing up after my arrival and getting moved into the front of the line. They stated they had appointments. Perhaps they have a different name for them now.
Old 11-15-2013, 04:30 PM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
I do agree with their policy if it has been amended to no factory appointments for anyone. Strictly first come first served is always best if it is implemented across the board. It would be interesting to be a fly on the wall in their offices watching to see if this is fact or fiction.