Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-10-2017, 02:11 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Want to remove all cracked decals & paint

My decals are cracked & peeling, I want to remove them & paint them back on. can anyone tell me what paint I should use, & how it should be prepped.
Thanks Lorn
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-10-2017, 05:34 PM   #2

Have the Same Issues

My 2004 is the same. Everything else is still like new.
Next year's project is to take care of the decals. Can't wait to see what others have done.
Old 07-12-2017, 03:09 PM   #3

Lorn,
Here's a link to an IRv2 members decal repair project. It turned out pretty nice. My decals are in need of attention too.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f84/paint...ls-261418.html

Kirk
Sunny1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 04:43 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Thanks Kirk, I will try this.
Lorn
Old 07-13-2017, 04:57 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
I did mine last year and although a little labor intensive it came out good. I took a good look at the deterioration and decided to remove some of the decals and paint over others that had little deterioration. I began the removal with a hair dryer but quickly went to a heat gun. I used a plastic drywall tool to remove the decals after applying heat. Be cautious to keep the tool away from the direct heat as it will melt. After the decals were removed I tried several things to remove the adhesive and found that MEK (available at Lowes) worked best. I then sanded the area of the removed decals and the decals that I did not remove with 320 wet dry sand paper. I taped the outline to the decals first and went back over them with a light sanding with 600 paper. applied two coats of base paint, same color, and followed up with 3 coats of clear. The area with the decals removed was the same process. There were several areas where the decals were over lapping so I did a very light sanding by hand to reduced the paint line left by the first painting of the decals. I used a urethane base paint for the color and a two part urethane clear coat. I do business with "Automotive touch up paint", google this. They are very accommodating and helpful over the phone when looking for colors. Their pricing is also good vs automotive paint stores. I am going to try to post a few pictures when I get my granddaughter over to help post them. Good luck. Richard

Tags
paint