Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-13-2016, 09:00 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Want to test generator on 2016 Tiffin 36LA

Another new owners question here. It's been almost a month since we picked up our new Tiffin from Lazy Days and I want to give the generator a good workout to verify it's in good working order. I tried finding this info in other forums but like any other issue I found different instructions on the best way to do it. Am currently hooked up to 50amp. Can I just turn off my ac's and crank up my generator? Or should I disconnect the power first, then crank up the generator to add a load for testing?

Thanks again for all your great answers!!

Steve
stevel720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-13-2016, 09:09 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
In general;

Power up the genset for a few minutes than apply load.

Remove load and let the Genset run for a few minutes before shutting down.

You really need to get your hands on the owners manual and maybe even the service manual. If you give the model/spec number someone can probably help.
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 09:38 AM   #3

To properly test the generator:

1) Turn off shore power

2) Start generator

3) Induce load ( turn on both ac in summer or a couple electric heaters in winter

4) Run generator for 1 hour under load

5) Remove load on generator and allow to idle for 5 minutes

6) Turn off generator

This procedure should be done at least monthly for gas powered generators and quarterly for diesel powered generators.
Old 06-13-2016, 09:45 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
The unit is a Onan 7000. The reading on the dash shows it already has over 17 hours as it appears the dealer ran it many times. The quick start guide says to turn off the ac units and other large appliances, then prime and start. After it runs for 2 minutes load can then be placed on the unit.

I guess to be safe I'd turn off the ac units and turn off the breaker for the fridge. It doesn't mention disconnecting the power from the 50 amp service but I assume for the best test I would do that also. Then turn on the generator, wait a couple minutes, then apply the load turning the ac units and fridge back on. Then let the generator run for 15-20 minutes to give it a good test.

The more I read about the issues people have with inverters and breakers tripping the more I think it would be best to wait and do the day before I take the coach back to Lazy Days. lol
stevel720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 09:58 AM   #5

You shouldn't need to disconnect the shore power, that's what the transfer switch is for. It sees 110 power from the generator and switches power from the generator leg and disconnects the leg from the shore power.
mmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 03:40 PM   #6

Per Onan rep. at Tiffin Rally a few years ago, if you aren't regularly using MH run gen. at least 1 hr each month and always have it running when your traveling. Also, have a/c, refrig, etc. turned off before you start gen and then turned off before you stop gen. It cost a member of our good sams club $3,800 to get his repaired at a Cummins/ Onan location and he was told to run it a lot, because the electronics got messed up because of not being used. Good Luck, Dave
Old 06-13-2016, 03:53 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
mmartin (and all) I agree that you shouldn't have to unplug shore power because the transfer switch should handle it. But what if the transfer switch was bad - how would you know? You'd be merrily running the air conditioner (or whatever) thinking that the generator is working nicely. When all the while you're actually running on shore power because the transfer switch is not doing it's job.

Also, if the generator is running but not actually making electricity due to some problem or another then the transfer switch isn't going to switch from shore power because it won't 'see' the generator current.

I admit that any time I've run the generator just for exercise I've always left the shore power cord plugged in. It just did occur to me that I don't REALLY know if the generator was working properly, I just assumed all was well.

It now seems to me that we need to unplug shore power at some point during the generator test just to make SURE that both the generator and transfer switch are working as designed.
Old 06-13-2016, 04:08 PM   #8
HHg

I've got the 10k diesel generator in my Phaeton. Owners manual says to run 2 hours per month under 3/4 load.....

Thanks
Hhg
HHg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 05:14 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
I always unplug shore power before starting genset. Why, because I lost a transfer switch. Started banging on the contacts. Tech said that it does put a strain on it switching and it can sometimes cause a failure like mine.

I don't turn off fridge but do turn off ac's and all heavy loads. Start then wait a couple of minutes for genset to reach full power. Then turn on the ac's. We have 3 so that is enough. I run it for a couple of hours while I do other stuff. The turn off ac's. When all are off I turn off genset. I only exercise it like this when we aren't going to be on the road for a couple of months.

I follow the maintenance schedule religiously because I don't want any problems when on the road. I don't always run it when traveling in the winter but I make sure it does run at least 2 hours a month.
Melmoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 05:23 PM   #10

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by HHg View Post
I've got the 10k diesel generator in my Phaeton. Owners manual says to run 2 hours per month under 3/4 load.....

Thanks
Hhg
We have a 12.5K and our instructions are the same. I turn on the 2 - 2000 watt AquaHot elements which really isn't half loaded, then add a couple of the heat pumps.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 07:42 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
I have a RV garage with 50 amp service. I make sure all loads are off and then I always turn off the 50 amp breaker before I start the generator. After exercising the generator I turn off all loads let the generator run with no load for 5 minutes and shut it down.

I also think there is a good possibility the delivery driver ran the generator not the dealer.
dabrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 08:13 PM   #12

One of the reasons for the hours on your generator is its use at the factory. After returning from paint the coaches go through final finish and the techs run the generator for heat or AC while doing all the final touches, cleaning and inspection.
Old 06-14-2016, 02:49 PM   #13

It is always safe to unplug from shore power before starting the generator, but if the transfer switch is functioning properly it will transfer over to generator power after the built-in delay. The Operator Manual should be on the DVD included with the Quick Start Guide. If not, a good reference is the Cummins Onan Handbook. You can download it at http://power.cummins.com/sites/defau.../F-1123-EN.pdf. This also includes your maintenance intervals, maintenance parts and several good tips to keep your generator running.
lotsoftoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 07:28 AM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Spartan Chassis
RV Trip Wizard
in need of servive manual

I also have a 2016 36 LA with Onan RV QG 7000 generator
I did not get service manual can any one help
trying to find out how often I need to change oil and filter
I have 42 hr on it now