RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Motorhomes Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-22-2019, 07:38 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Wanting a WiFi controllable thermostat

Has anyone replaced their original thermostat with one that can be remotely controlled via a wifi router? I have the Coleman package with RVComfort.ZC thermostat, three zones. I would like to swap it out for something that allows me to turn it on/off or adjust temps remotely.

TIA!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-22-2019, 07:59 PM   #2

A changeout would probably entail having to change control module inside A/C Unit area.

Call Airxcel and inquire
Phone Number (316) 832-4357

Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 09:06 PM   #3

https://www.ecobee.com/
Old 01-22-2019, 11:28 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcussen View Post
Nice link. Have you installed this in your RV? Does it support multiple zones? Most home thermostats are single zone.
Old 01-23-2019, 08:56 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
I don't see how the ecobee could work since there are two ways to heat the coach via the thermostat. Am I missing something? Would love to be able to add this for the front of the coach.
brandss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 09:21 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Household 24 VAC thermostats do not work in a 12 VDC environment, nor is there a way to make them work. So, keep hoping that someone develops a 12V, WiFi enabled thermostat that works with your AC/Heat pump system.

One thing that might get you closer is to get a newer Bus which uses a networked control system (instead of switches) and an add on program which uses WiFi and your smart phone to control the system.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 10:14 AM   #7

Definitely not a direct replacement. Guy that uses it is a electrical engineer The ecobee is standalone and think he uses it to control relays that operate one heat pump, don't think he has a furnace hooked up to it.
Old 01-23-2019, 04:00 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvlabs View Post
Household 24 VAC thermostats do not work in a 12 VDC environment, nor is there a way to make them work. So, keep hoping that someone develops a 12V, WiFi enabled thermostat that works with your AC/Heat pump system.

One thing that might get you closer is to get a newer Bus which uses a networked control system (instead of switches) and an add on program which uses WiFi and your smart phone to control the system.
As with all electronic devices, there is a voltage range within which they will work. While I have never tried to use a 24v thermostat in my RV, logic tells me that the normal range of voltage (low) is from 9-48vdc.

The only other issue I see is that some household thermostats use a transformer to convert 120vac to 24vac. (My house does not, but some do)
Old 01-24-2019, 09:32 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Household heating and air conditioning units all use 24 VAC for control power. The transformer can be mounted in many different locations including internally to the furnace or air handling unit. It's not just the thermostat that uses 24 VAC, it is designed to use 24 VAC since the rest of the system uses it.

I'm sure someone can design the power supplies to make this all work in an RV environment.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 12:45 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
IFlyABus - you must have looked at all my recent internet searches . For the past few days I have been looking for the exact same thing. Maybe the company that makes the RVComfort.ZC will develop a new model with a WiFi interface. I have had the Nest Thermostat in the sticks and bricks for a year - I am spoiled. Does anyone have a contact at RV Products a Division of Airxcel, Inc.? My manual for the thermostat shows them as the manufacturer.

Tags
thermostat, wifi