RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-09-2008, 01:27 PM   #1

We just completed winterizing our 2008 Allegro 32LA. We drained the water heater and blew out the system. On other RVs I've owned, the water heater always had a sacrifical rod. This time there was no rod, only a plastic drain plug. There are some plumbing parts in front of the plug which might prevent the insertion of a rod. However, I believe the rods come in different lengths and I might be able to fit one in. Is there any reason why I shouldn't use a sacrifical rod in the water heater?

Thanks,
Robert

RJEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-09-2008, 01:27 PM   #2

We just completed winterizing our 2008 Allegro 32LA. We drained the water heater and blew out the system. On other RVs I've owned, the water heater always had a sacrifical rod. This time there was no rod, only a plastic drain plug. There are some plumbing parts in front of the plug which might prevent the insertion of a rod. However, I believe the rods come in different lengths and I might be able to fit one in. Is there any reason why I shouldn't use a sacrifical rod in the water heater?

Thanks,
Robert

RJEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 01:41 PM   #3

Most of the newer heaters don't need a rod any more. Our 5th wheel had one in it but our MH does not. I would check your manual if yours has one or not
Old 12-09-2008, 02:31 PM   #4

The answer to your question lies in the brand of water heater. Atwood does not use an anode as it has an aluminum, coated tank. Suburban uses a glass lined tank and needs an anode to protect against the thermal cracking of the glass lining.

Hope this helps.

Mike
TheRVGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 05:15 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
How often does the anode on the Suburban need to be checked or changed?

Is the threaded opening also the cleanout for the HWH?
lthrnk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 06:46 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
There is no firm answer to your question. It depends upon the characteristics of the water cycled thru the water heater. Our first anode lasted about 9 months whereas the current one has been in there for about 18 months.
I usually open the plug and check the anode about twice per year, but again, this will depend upon use. We currently are not fulltiming, but I would check it more often if I was.
Yes, on the Suburban the threaded opening (drain plug holding the anode) is the cleanout.
Hope this helps.
sfischer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 05:05 AM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I checked mine after we got home last spring from wintering in the south. It was pretty well eaten up, I could've probably gotten a few more months out of it, instead I changed it. I went on line and bought 3 replacement rods and will just change them every spring. They are not that expensive and I like the peace of mind knowing I don't have to worry about it.
jojolou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 10:20 AM   #8

Do not trust the Atwood plastic plug. It is made of nylon and can fail due to the high temperature and pressures inside the tank. Mine failed catastrophically one night while camping in the desert. It makes a very loud and scary noise. Fortunately we were present and opened the heater bypass valve as the flood of water through the opening would have quickly exhausted our water supply and led to quick failure of the tank heating element with no water in the tank. I replaced my nylon plug with a bronze plug and used several wraps of teflon thread tape over all of the threads to dielectrically isolate the bronze from the aluminized interior surface of the Atwood tank.

yudamann is offline   Reply With Quote