RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-14-2019, 02:35 PM   #1

Water Lines Freezing

I have my 2019 SA32 winterized with the pink stuff. I'm leaving for Florida on January 1st. Will be coming home the first week of March. The temperatures here in March have been running 40 to 45 throughout the day and 26 to 28 at night for the past 5 years. In your experiences similar to this, should i go ahead and re-winterize my unit or not. Will the night temps be cold enough long enough to freeze my lines and burst them?

Dennis123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-14-2019, 02:55 PM   #2

Put a lamp in the wet bay
If it gets in the teens double up on the lamp run the furnace at 50

igapaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 03:19 PM   #3

I would either keep the heat on low or winterize them. I am not lucky and try not to leave things up to chance, because it WILL happen to me...
SlowJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 03:41 PM   #4

I don't know what an "SA32" is and don't know where "home" is, but if it can be 40's during the day, it will get down to freezing temps soon after the sun goes down and likely be the for 12 hours. That's freezing time. You'll have pex lines for plumbing which will take some expansion, but there's lots of other parts that won't survive expansion.

Why take the risk? You need some heat or winterize it.
Old 12-14-2019, 03:54 PM   #5

I agree with SlowJoe. I wouldn't chance it. A few gallons of anti-freeze cost so little compared to the potential cost of fixing a burst water line or the damage associated to a leak.
Old 12-14-2019, 04:54 PM   #6

Not worth the risk of freezing. I live in North GA and keep mine winterized till late April. Dave
allegro1x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 06:52 PM   #7

I would winterize it with compressed air or RV antifreeze. I would worry about the power failing during a cold snap and the lights or small heaters going off.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 07:03 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
We live and keep our Bus in temps. similar to the OP....warm during the day and mid-20s at night. usually we don't get below that...until we do and often with little warning. One year we had a very nasty cold staph where the lows went to single digits. We were out of town so I was sure glad I had winterized the Bus between trips.

I now always keep it winterized during the cold months unless we are in it.

I air blow the water system several times at each faucet and then run in the pink stuff..then blow that out and collect it to use the next time. I discard it after 2 uses..no reason to push my luck with potentially dilutes pink stuff.
Old 12-14-2019, 08:25 PM   #9

We had a similar concern before we headed south, a couple of weeks of an unusual cold snap up north. 20ís at night, 30ís to low 40ís during the day. I drained the RV (including the water heater) and ran the heat set at 50, used a lot of propane and I kept an eye on it everyday to make sure all was good. When we headed south and refilled the water all was good. I guess I rolled the dice but for two weeks before leaving I was fine, not sure I would have done it for longer than that.

Tags
water