Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-02-2018, 03:10 PM   #1

Water on carpet next to residential Maytag

In my 2013 Phaeton 40 QBH with the frig on the driver side slide I occasionally find water under the frig and on carpet next to right front side. No rain involved. I checked rear access panel and there not any water leaks at the rear water feed areas. Could this be associated with the defrost cycle?
Trans. Cajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-02-2018, 03:33 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Water on carpet next to residential Maytag

Probably. Happened to mine and there was water between the doors creeping down to the rug. Condensation. A note on the fridge told about it and what to do. Turned on the de-condensation switch (or whatever it’s called), water disappeared, no more wet carpet. YMMV.
les.warden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 04:35 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I found water once when we were traveling. Found that there is a water pan under the unit that catches condensation. All we could think of was that the pan had water in it and a sharp turn caused the MH to tilt enough to splash water out. The drainat the rear of the unit was clear and functioning.
Only did it once in all the time we had the coach.

Note: there are some posts about problems with the drain line clogging and causing a back up...an indication of this is ice on the bottom of the freezer compartment.
garykk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 06:33 AM   #4

Can you describe where to find this drain line. This frig does not have a pan on the bottom.
Old 03-03-2018, 07:49 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
If you can pull the freezer door out far enough, you will find a frozen lake at the bottom of the freezer. This has been caused by a faulty drain line which has a duck bill fitting in it. There is a kit available (on Amazon as well) that corrects the drain issue with a J trap to replace the duck bill. Cost is less than $20 and it will take you about 15 minutes to replace the faulty part. You can get at the area you need from the exterior access panel to the back of the fridge.

What you want is a Whirlpool W10619951 Drain Tube. I replaced mine in December of 2015.

I would suggest you get lots of towels ready and shut off the fridge until the lake thaws out enough to get the extra water out.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 09:50 AM   #6

## Update: I discovered that the bottom base of the freezer section inside the freezer was full of frozen water. It appears that perhaps in the defrost cycle some of this ice melts and flows out the lowest corner which is front right. Does anyone have ideas as to where this water is coming from? I cleared the bottom of the refrigerator part and did not see any drains.
Old 03-03-2018, 02:52 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trans. Cajun View Post
## Update: I discovered that the bottom base of the freezer section inside the freezer was full of frozen water. It appears that perhaps in the defrost cycle some of this ice melts and flows out the lowest corner which is front right. Does anyone have ideas as to where this water is coming from? I cleared the bottom of the refrigerator part and did not see any drains.
Read Roger’s post above yours.
The water comes from the defrost cycle in the unit. The outside panel on the MH will get you access to the back of the unit where the drain tube is.
garykk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 04:01 PM   #8

I read luvlabs Post; however, after removing all the ice from the freezer bottom and wiping it clean, there are not any drains or openings. This frig is in the driver side slide and there not any provisions for a drain after viewing the outside of the slide. The web-site www.maytag.com mentions turning on humidity control and fast cool which I have tried. Now that I know where the water accumulates, I will keep a watchful eye.
Old 03-04-2018, 09:02 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
The existing drain line doesn't drain and water backs up and overflows into your freezer where you found the frozen lake. The water is supposed to flow into the evaporator pan at the bottom of the refrigerator. There is no drain to the outside (your residential frig doesn't have an external drain, it has an evaporation pan just like the one in your motorhome).

So, you need to replace the condensate drain with the new version. This drain comes from the refrigerator coils which accumulate moisture from the surrounding air (more so in humid areas) to the evaporation pan under the frig. You will notice that the compressor and coils are also in this area and when running, they warm the water the evaporate it.

Take the exterior panel off the back of the fridge opening. You may have a black cardboard like material covering the bottom of the fridge. Remove that and you will see the drain line. It's held in place by two screws. Remove it, replace it with the new model, and put the cover back on. You are done.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 10:58 AM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
water from fridg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trans. Cajun View Post
Can you describe where to find this drain line. This frig does not have a pan on the bottom.
Out side of your bus is a panel to open in back of refrigerator. There you will find a drain hose from the refrigerator that is probably kinked and not draining. Clear the clear plastic drain hose which will let condensation from refrigerator flo out. Helped us with the same problem.
parrett1012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 12:44 PM   #11

Problem solved. Being a chemo patient with no energy, I called Mr. Appliance repair service of South Houston. He removed bottom freezer drawer, removed panel at rear inside of freezer compartment to expose coils and drain tray. This drain tray has a hole with a short tube that empties into the evaporator pan. The hole was plugged with slime and the entire bottom of coils and tray were frozen over. The tech used a sonaclean machine to defrost, clean and dis-infect the tray and drain tube. He also vacuumed the lint on exchange coils under refrigerator. Total time was one hour with a bill of $172 with taxes. Very professional tech. I’m pleased.

Tags
carpet, water