Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-10-2019, 09:42 AM   #1

Wayfarer - How does entertainment system work?

We're interested in buying a Wayfarer.
I'm a bit confused as to how the audio system interfaces with the televisions.

I'm hoping that someone that owns a Wayfarer can answer my questions.

I looked up the Jensen stereo receiver, but they don't really say much about video. Does the Jensen play DVD videos or just music?
If it plays video DVDs, is it Blu Ray (HD) or not. I would assume that the HDMI output from the Jensen is one of the two HDMI cables that go to each TV. Is that correct.

If it does't play DVD video's,, then do you have to add your own DVD Blu Ray player and where do you connect it into the system. Would it be connected into the front HDMi jack on the Jensen, or elsewhere.

I saw there are two HDMI cables into each TV. I would assume that the second cable is for a satellite receiver's output. Where would you connect the output HDMI from the Dish receiver into the Wayfarer system?

I see there is a coax cable into each TV and assume there is a switch somewhere so you can select over the air antenna, or campground cable.

The final question is about Audio and what plays where. I'm assuming if the HDMI signal passes thru the Jensen, then the sound can play thru the overhead speakers? Is this true.
I'm also assuming that TV sound from programming via the coax can not be played thru the overhead speakers. I didn't see how audio would be routed from the TV channel you are watching back to the Jensen.

Also, the sound bar on the exterior TV, I didn't see any wires from the exterior TV to the sound bar. Does that mean that only sound that goes thru the Jensen willl play on the Sound Bar?

It would be helpful to me to understand what works where. It would be nice to play sound thru the overhead speakers when watching cable via coax,or over the air programming, but I'm thinking that wouldn't work.

How loud are the built in speakers in the TVs. I know this is subjective. Also is the exterior sound bar significantly louder than the TV built in speakers, so if you had a group of people watching outdoors, they could easily hear the programming?

Hope someone can explain what works where. Thank you.
Travelino is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-10-2019, 11:00 AM   #2

[QUOTE=Travelino;4629727]We're interested in buying a Wayfarer.

I looked up the Jensen stereo receiver, but they don't really say much about video. Does the Jensen play DVD videos or just music?
If it plays video DVDs, is it Blu Ray (HD) or not. I would assume that the HDMI output from the Jensen is one of the two HDMI cables that go to each TV. Is that correct.

DVD and not Blu Ray.
HDMI from the Jensen goes to a HDMI splitter in the electronics cabinet where it is distributed to the TV's.

If it does't play DVD video's,, then do you have to add your own DVD Blu Ray player and where do you connect it into the system. Would it be connected into the front HDMi jack on the Jensen, or elsewhere.

There is a second HDMI splitter in the electronics to satellite or another HDMI source. The splitter go to HDMI 1 and 2 on the TV's. We had the grandkids over on one of our trips and plugged a Blu Ray into the Jansen to send it to the TV's without issues.

I saw there are two HDMI cables into each TV. I would assume that the second cable is for a satellite receiver's output. Where would you connect the output HDMI from the Dish receiver into the Wayfarer system?

See above.

I see there is a coax cable into each TV and assume there is a switch somewhere so you can select over the air antenna, or campground cable.

There is a switch in the electronics cabinet to switch between OTA and campground cable.

The final question is about Audio and what plays where. I'm assuming if the HDMI signal passes thru the Jensen, then the sound can play thru the overhead speakers? Is this true.
I'm also assuming that TV sound from programming via the coax can not be played thru the overhead speakers. I didn't see how audio would be routed from the TV channel you are watching back to the Jensen.

I just went out and checked the audio outputs, you can pipe the TV thru the Jansen and the overhead speakers (hadn't tried that before).

Also, the sound bar on the exterior TV, I didn't see any wires from the exterior TV to the sound bar. Does that mean that only sound that goes thru the Jensen willl play on the Sound Bar?

The outside sound bar gets its audio signal from the Jansen via zone 3.
The audio input for zone 3 comes from the lounge TV, so in order to get audio to the sound bar, the lounge TV must be on the same station as the outdoor TV. Also, that means that you must use the Jansen to control the volume of the sound bar and not the TV volume control.

How loud are the built in speakers in the TVs. I know this is subjective. Also is the exterior sound bar significantly louder than the TV built in speakers, so if you had a group of people watching outdoors, they could easily hear the programming?

The built in TV speakers are sufficiently loud to be heard over the AC/heat pump. The outdoor sound bar is loud enough to hear half way across the campground it you turn it up.
qbranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 01:03 PM   #3

QBRANCH,
Wow, such a great response. Thanks so much for taking the time to respond, as well as test out some of the combinations. So my understanding from one of your answers, is the audio from the Lounge TVs tuner, via over the air will play thru the Jensen and the overhead speakers. Not sure how that is wired to do so, but its really nice to know that it works that way.(maybe the optical audio out from the TV is hooked into the Jensen).

You mentioned that the outdoor soundbar plays audio via whatever the lounge TV is tuned to on zone 3. Can the Jensen also play music via a CD on the soundbar. I would think it would.

Now I know from your response that the Jensen is a DVD player. Thanks.

Jensen shows a list price for that unit at $500, so I'm surprised since it has HDMI support that it doesn't have Blu Ray support. Not a big problem as I can hook up a Blu Ray DVD player to the front HDMI input as you stated.

Thanks again and hopefully this post will help others considering a Wayfarer. There isn't as much info on the web for the Wayfarer as there is for Tiffin Class As.
Thanks again.
Old 02-10-2019, 02:57 PM   #4

It is indeed goes to the optical input on the Jansen. Yes, you can play all inputs to the sound bar and internal speakers.

I'm glad I could help.
qbranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 06:06 PM   #5

Thanks again, I really appreciate your great replies.
Old 02-10-2019, 07:02 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Yes, everything qbranch said is spot on!!!

I added a blu-ray player by taking its HDMI output and the HDMI output from the Jensen that was routed to the HDMI splitter and putting through an HDMI multi input selector first. The output from the selector then going into the splitter were the Jensen had been hooked up. Now I pick if I'm getting video from its DVD or the added Blu-ray.

IMHO: Pretty ridiculous that Jensen didn't support blu-ray.

Be very careful with the HDMI cables going into the splitters in your electronics cabinet. The cables are heavy duty but the connectors are rubber and the metal ends vibrate and rip right out. Tiffin tries to prevent this damage with HDMI swivels held securely with gobs of electrical tape, but they still rip out. 2 of my HDMI cables have ripped off ends and I ended up replacing with wireless HDMI transmitters and receivers. A bonus is I then picked up wireless remote control IR repeaters as they are built into the wireless HDMI devices! Yay!

Enjoy!

Best,
-Mark
MarkMaxPayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 12:54 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by qbranch View Post
It is indeed goes to the optical input on the Jansen. Yes, you can play all inputs to the sound bar and internal speakers.

I'm glad I could help.
Relative question/clarification: tv cable switch on contol panel, routes either cable in or amplified ota antenna coax to all tvs?
2 HDMI inputs on tvs come from where? Jensen and cabinet where satellite receuver lands?
Thanks
Ross Linnemann Wayferer owner to be.
rosspam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 11:28 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosspam View Post
Relative question/clarification: tv cable switch on contol panel, routes either cable in or amplified ota antenna coax to all tvs?
2 HDMI inputs on tvs come from where? Jensen and cabinet where satellite receuver lands?
Thanks
Ross Linnemann Wayferer owner to be.
Yes. Coax is split across all TVs. Then the Jensen has an HDMI output that goes to one of the HDMI splitters to feed HDMI1 input on all TVs. Lastly, an HDMI cable is there for your satellite receiver output to plug into in the cabinet. The other end goes to the input of the second HDMI splitter. That then supplies video signal to the HDMI2 input on all TV's.

Best,
-Mark
Old 08-07-2019, 03:58 AM   #9

Thanks! Where are all these splitters found, usually a source of bad connections that mey need to be checked?
Old 08-07-2019, 09:59 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
In the electronics panel that pops down and pivots on a bottom hinge. They are the top two boxes. In the front you see two rectangle cut outs with dip switches. Despite Tiffin's best attempts to protect with hinged and swivel HDMI adapters (and tons of electrical tape), they do vibrate lose and the HDMI connectors do rip out of the rubber connector ends. They went with supper heavy duty HDMI cables, but the rubberized shock absorbing connector ends do let the metal connectors tear out easily. Also check the power connections to the 2 splitters. Back where the cables plug in green LEDs will light up if powered and units see an input signal from input HDMI. I've had a power adapter vibrate lose one time.

Out of 8 connectors back there 3 have torn out in my rig, hence my use of wireless HDMI transmitters vs trying to reroute new cables. Added benefit is I picked up wireless IR remote control repeater functionality for "free".

I've also had to tighten my satellite coax connections a couple of times in there as well.

Best,
-Mark
Old 08-07-2019, 11:28 AM   #11

I wondered what those were with the dip switches..what do they configure? I guess when lowering panel show be slow and deliberate so as not to put much strain on connectors. Thanks so much. Just a few more systems to learn and ill have confidence in them and understand if they act up.
Old 08-08-2019, 03:00 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkMaxPayne View Post
Yes, everything qbranch said is spot on!!!

I added a blu-ray player by taking its HDMI output and the HDMI output from the Jensen that was routed to the HDMI splitter and putting through an HDMI multi input selector first. The output from the selector then going into the splitter were the Jensen had been hooked up. Now I pick if I'm getting video from its DVD or the added Blu-ray.

IMHO: Pretty ridiculous that Jensen didn't support blu-ray.

Be very careful with the HDMI cables going into the splitters in your electronics cabinet. The cables are heavy duty but the connectors are rubber and the metal ends vibrate and rip right out. Tiffin tries to prevent this damage with HDMI swivels held securely with gobs of electrical tape, but they still rip out. 2 of my HDMI cables have ripped off ends and I ended up replacing with wireless HDMI transmitters and receivers. A bonus is I then picked up wireless remote control IR repeaters as they are built into the wireless HDMI devices! Yay!

Enjoy!

Best,
-Mark
Where did you get wireless hdmi? Do the go behind electronics panel?
Old 08-08-2019, 12:37 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosspam View Post
Where did you get wireless hdmi? Do the go behind electronics panel?
I purchased an IOGEAR kit from my local Best Buy that had one transmitter and 2 receivers. Expandable in terms of both receivers and transmitters. Has 10 different channels to select from if you decide to add more transmitters. Fits behind the electronics panel, but I have a shelf below mine where my sat receiver sits so I put it there with a short HDMI cable between it and HDMI splitter. Receivers fit either on back of TV or mounted behind TVs.

Best,
-Mark
Old 08-09-2019, 07:20 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkMaxPayne View Post
I purchased an IOGEAR kit from my local Best Buy that had one transmitter and 2 receivers. Expandable in terms of both receivers and transmitters. Has 10 different channels to select from if you decide to add more transmitters. Fits behind the electronics panel, but I have a shelf below mine where my sat receiver sits so I put it there with a short HDMI cable between it and HDMI splitter. Receivers fit either on back of TV or mounted behind TVs.

Best,
-Mark
Sorry just another question? Am familiar with molded hdmi cables and swivels, are you saying the metal part with contacts pulled out of the molded end and wires exposed/broke?