RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-04-2019, 07:27 PM   #1

Wayfarer hydraulic jacks question

I'm trying to find out how much travel the Wayfarer hydraulic jacks have.

These jacks are shorter in length compared to Class A jacks, so I'm wondering how much they extend beyond initial deployment on a coach that is sitting level.

If anyone here has these jacks on their Wayfarer, could you try and elevate the front of the coach to the maximum, when on level ground, to see how high the front wheels lift off the ground.

I'm interested in knowing how much correctiion they can provide on non-level surfaces. If they can only extend something like 2 inches, that isn't much to correct to level, but if they can extend 4 or 5 inches, I think that is significant. of course, you can always add a board or two in extreme cases, but the idea of having these jacks is so they level on most situations. Thanks for any info you can provide.

Travelino is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-05-2019, 02:50 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelino View Post
I'm trying to find out how much travel the Wayfarer hydraulic jacks have.

These jacks are shorter in length compared to Class A jacks, so I'm wondering how much they extend beyond initial deployment on a coach that is sitting level.

If anyone here has these jacks on their Wayfarer, could you try and elevate the front of the coach to the maximum, when on level ground, to see how high the front wheels lift off the ground.

I'm interested in knowing how much correctiion they can provide on non-level surfaces. If they can only extend something like 2 inches, that isn't much to correct to level, but if they can extend 4 or 5 inches, I think that is significant. of course, you can always add a board or two in extreme cases, but the idea of having these jacks is so they level on most situations. Thanks for any info you can provide.
I just measured mine and its currently extended about 14". Looking at the cylinder, it looks like the there is approx 8-10" between the bottom of the pad to the ground when they are not extended. Hope that helps!!

qbranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 09:42 PM   #3

Thanks for that info. Based on what you stated, it sounds like it could lift the coach about 4 to 6 inches off the ground in a level ground situation. Therefore, if there was a slope on a lot, the jacks could correct up to 4 or 6 inches of slope within the rectangle formed by the 4 jacks. That sounds pretty good and well worth having the jacks.
Old 02-06-2019, 06:58 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Just a little more info...

I built a set of 10"x10"x3" jack pads to give the jacks a bit more surface area and in the event that the site is heavily sloped, they add 3" of additional lift. They are constructed of 2 layers of 3/4 plywood and 2 layers of 3/4" rubber horse stall mat screwed and glued together.

We are sold on the jacks and would do it again. We can be in our site, leveled and completely connected to utilities in 10 minutes or less. No fooling around with leveling blocks and a level anymore.
Old 02-06-2019, 09:10 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
In a coach with a pathetically low UCCC, the weight penalty imposed by a leveling system just doesn't make any sense. Think of the 180 lbs for the jacks as your food for a trip.

You can level a Sprinter with lego blocks and a nice device called a LevelMate Pro and still have room for food.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 07:14 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Lets just agree we all have our own priorities and requirements. With a 2019 having a 900+ lb. OCCC, I can live with a 180 lb. hit for the levelers.
Old 02-06-2019, 08:18 PM   #7

qbranch, the blocks you made sounding very interesting. Is it possible for you to post a picture of them. I was wondering about the rubber mats, and if they compress too much. I assume the rubber mats are on the outsides of the plywood. Are the mats glued too, or nailed to the plywood. I'm not familar with horse mats and how they compress or not.

I was thinking that having a few blocks along, even with jacks, in case of soft ground or the need to level beyond the reach of tha jacks would be helpful. heck the blocks don't have to be as long as they would need to be to drive up on them, since they are just going uder the jacks and not the tires.

Your 10 x 10 size sounds just right.
Old 02-07-2019, 09:49 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
I would consider attaching a rope to the home built pads to make them easier ro retrieve. Or drill 1/2" holes in the corners to use your awning rod to move them around.

On thing I like about the plastic 'Lego' pads is I can move them around with the rod for the RV awning.
btolle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 01:17 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
I'm not at home to take a photo, but this is where I got the idea.

https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/f...print/true.cfm

Tags
hydraulic, jacks