RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-12-2019, 07:09 AM   #1

Wayfarer news from the Hershey, PA show

While at the RV show on Wednesday, I got to speak with Bob Tiffin briefly. I told him we were downsizing to a smaller RV on the Mercedes chassis as our travel style was changing and mentioned the issues with the CCC on the Wayfarer and asked about Lithium batteries in the future.

Bob said they were working on the weight issues and had tried several different flooring designs ("any time you try something new, it brings new problems"). He told me they'd come up with a new flooring system that would be lighter. He sent me out to talk to his family member who was in charge of the Wayfarer's at the display outside (Bob was in one of the Allegro Busses. What a nice rig!)

I went outside and found Tiffin the younger (his name escapes me) and he gave me the following info, after he called and checked with someone else at Tiffin with more intimate knowledge:

1. The Wayfarer's new flooring system should save significant weight,
2. The Wayfarer will get an electric, fold down Murphy bed like the Winnebago 24D has
3. In 2021, the Wayfarer should get the Volta lithium battery system which WILL run the air conditioner they're still working on the system so he didn't have details on the amp hours or run time.

Makes me want to wait another year or so to downsize....

Dave-Oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-13-2019, 06:16 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave-Oh View Post
While at the RV show on Wednesday, I got to speak with Bob Tiffin briefly. I told him we were downsizing to a smaller RV on the Mercedes chassis as our travel style was changing and mentioned the issues with the CCC on the Wayfarer and asked about Lithium batteries in the future.

Bob said they were working on the weight issues and had tried several different flooring designs ("any time you try something new, it brings new problems"). He told me they'd come up with a new flooring system that would be lighter. He sent me out to talk to his family member who was in charge of the Wayfarer's at the display outside (Bob was in one of the Allegro Busses. What a nice rig!)

I went outside and found Tiffin the younger (his name escapes me) and he gave me the following info, after he called and checked with someone else at Tiffin with more intimate knowledge:

1. The Wayfarer's new flooring system should save significant weight,
2. The Wayfarer will get an electric, fold down Murphy bed like the Winnebago 24D has
3. In 2021, the Wayfarer should get the Volta lithium battery system which WILL run the air conditioner they're still working on the system so he didn't have details on the amp hours or run time.

Makes me want to wait another year or so to downsize....
A new, lighter flooring system, assuming it is as durable and comfortable as the existing system would be great. Yes, weight can be an issue with the Wayfarer but, if you are reasonable with your load-out, the current models are perfectly acceptable. It's a 25' Class C! Probably not the best choice to live in full time.

I don't see how an electric Murphy bed makes much sense. That would seem to add weight unnecessarily. The current bed in the RW works perfectly fine. It is not difficult to raise or lower.

I do like the idea of lithium batteries for their weight savings and long life. Trying to run the air conditioner off the batteries / inverter seems like a fools errand to me though. Doing so will run ANY two battery bank down very, very quickly. You will end up running the generator or connecting to shore power pretty quickly just to recharge. Our you'd need a much larger, probably portable, solar array with full sun to keep up with the demand. I suppose it would be a reasonable capability to engineer into the coach but I don't see it being very practical.

Thanks for the report from Hershey! It's Trent Tiffin by the way.

f14av8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 08:47 AM   #3

not sure if it was at the show, on Wayfarer section of Tiffin website I saw a new model 24lw, it had wider twin beds that didn't make a queen bed and had drawers under the bed. I'll probably just keep my 2012 32CA and get out of RVing in a few years. Dave
allegro1x is offline   Reply With Quote