Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-27-2013, 06:11 AM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Weatherguard Power Awning

I have a 2007 Allegro Bus that I just recently purchased which has a Weatherguard Patio Awning. In the slightest of breezes, the awning will start to going up/down, not trying to close, just dancing up and down. Is there a way to tighten this thing up, as the awning was un-usable and the wind was only blowing 5-10 mph. I had the Weatherguard on a previous motorhome and it wasn't as bad as this one. Which is the better power awning, a Weatherguard or a Carefree Eclipse?
Any suggestions?
R.Shomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-27-2013, 06:27 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Is the wind flipping it or is the motor trying to retract it? The sensor for ours is on the roof so even if the awning is on the leeward side of the wind, it retracts. Annoying when the thing is hardly moving.

My solution is to turn off the auto retract, tie it down like the old fashion ones and never leave it out when we are not there. A PIA but they are very expensive to repair so we deal with it. You also can not hang any patio lanterns and such on it when set to auto because they don't roll up well
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 09:07 PM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Hello,
It is the wind flapping it. On my other coach, I had problems with the sensor closing it and our dealer adjusted the setting higher for wind speed. That helped it. But this awning is flapping due to the slight wind blowing. I really don't want to start having to tie it down.
Old 05-28-2013, 06:34 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by R.Shomo View Post
I really don't want to start having to tie it down.
I hating having to resort to tie downs but after sinking $700 into repairs (not from wind damage) I bit the bullet and started taking the time to do it. A real PIA since you need a step ladder to reach it. We also use a Patty O'Shade with it due to its height to clear the slide out so up the ladder I go again. Not the greatest design I have ever seen.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 09:32 AM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I agree with the tie-down being both trouble and a PITA. Here are other ideas:

I've opted instead for a quick-release ballast on the right-hand arm. One only needs a weight of 2-3 lbs in order to steady the arm in slight wind. DW prefers a hanging plant; but you could use any weighted item. With a small hook on the top edge to clip onto the side arm; you don't need a step ladder to place or remove.

In the past..I've use a pair of vice grip pliers on the fabric's scalloped end.

You could lay a sand-filled sock into the channel. Just attach a flag or lanyard to remind you to remove it before closing the arms.

As always, stronger winds warrant bring it in for safety's sake; but there's no reason why you cannot weigh-down with patio lights, a name plaque, or another ballast item provided you make it a simple matter to disconnect and remove in a hurry.
62Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 09:17 PM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks for the idea, I will have to look into that. My wife would like hanging flowers from the awning.
Old 05-30-2013, 07:22 AM   #7

also a short flat strap of material hung from the open groove in the awning roller. Maybe 1" wide and 2ft long ; it could hang and be used for any kind of ballast like plants or whatever. Since its a flat strap it could roll up with the awning just like the add on short patio shades. Put one on each end and leave them there. Personally I still use the auto retract cause I also experienced awning catastrophe.

Tags
awning, power