RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-21-2014, 09:19 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Wet Basement!!!

Wet Basement (and half bath under sink area)!!!

When we were packing up to leave site, DW found the half bath under sink area all wet, but nothing on the floor area outside the cabinet. Coincidentally, I found the basement compartment below it wet too. I had found this once before with the basement compartment but didn't know what happened, and hadn't recalled any bathroom issues.

When I looked under the sink, I didn't observe any active leaks, and the sink water connections were dry to the touch. There is a manifold of piping and a curious looking hose to hose connection with some type of plastic fitting, but again nonsmoking gun.

Has anyone else experienced this? Earlier in the day, I had topped off the freshwater tank (used city water/tank valve connection) and it overflowed out the passenger side vent. Is this potentially self inflicted? I'm not real familiar with how that's all plumbed together so would definitely appreciate any who can share knowledge/insights. Thanks!

Blackcabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-21-2014, 09:28 AM   #2
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Can you tell how much water is still in the fresh water tank? If it is not full then this is the source of the water. Sometimes in overfilling you can start a syphon and drain the tank to the point when the syphon breaks. If this is the case drill a very small air hole in the top of the overflow hose and this will prevent it recurring

Old 07-21-2014, 10:26 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Does that sink have a P-trap? If it does, fill the sink with water and then drain while watching/feeling the P-trap area. Sometimes things get pulled/misaligned with the plumbing and you end up with a small leak in the waste plumbing.

If you find a leak, just loosen everything up, realign, and hand tighten. Test again and you should be fine.

Is the wet bay below this bathroom? Several areas of potential leaks in there including the black tank rinse line, the water tank overflow, the connections to the black and gray tanks and so on. Nothing will be harmed by water in there but you will want to find the leak.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 02:39 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I had a leak in the same half bath. First found a loose fitting at the water manifold and thought that fixed it. Left on our trip and then found water in the basement directly under the vanity of the half bath, water was dripping off the hoses and drains in that area. Finally found the culprit to be the flexible hose connection from the kitchen to the drain under the vanity....had a new piece of hose sent from the factory, it was hard to replace due to the cramped quarters. Found the hose had a small cut in it from the clamp , the replacement hose was a better quality...
garykk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 02:39 PM   #5

The plastic piece on the 2 lines you found is the vacuum breaker on the black tank flush. Sometimes if you flush and leave your hose on it with a little trickle of water coming through they'll leak. I've also heard a few instances where they'll fail. If you can't find anything wrong with the trap or drain connections, wrap a small rag around the vacuum breaker the next time you flush the black tank. If it's wet or damp, you'll have your problem or eliminated a source.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 08:50 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDi View Post
Can you tell how much water is still in the fresh water tank? If it is not full then this is the source of the water. Sometimes in overfilling you can start a syphon and drain the tank to the point when the syphon breaks. If this is the case drill a very small air hole in the top of the overflow hose and this will prevent it recurring
The tank is still full. After 24 hours observed (static - no adds, or draws), there are still no active leaks.
Old 07-21-2014, 08:52 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvlabs View Post
Does that sink have a P-trap? If it does, fill the sink with water and then drain while watching/feeling the P-trap area. Sometimes things get pulled/misaligned with the plumbing and you end up with a small leak in the waste plumbing.

If you find a leak, just loosen everything up, realign, and hand tighten. Test again and you should be fine.

Is the wet bay below this bathroom? Several areas of potential leaks in there including the black tank rinse line, the water tank overflow, the connections to the black and gray tanks and so on. Nothing will be harmed by water in there but you will want to find the leak.
The p-trap is bone dry. Seems likely that the issue is with the black tank rinse line, or the water tank overflow - I used both prior to the water discovery... I just dont understand why it would show up under the sink.
Old 07-21-2014, 09:21 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigman1 View Post
The plastic piece on the 2 lines you found is the vacuum breaker on the black tank flush. Sometimes if you flush and leave your hose on it with a little trickle of water coming through they'll leak. I've also heard a few instances where they'll fail. If you can't find anything wrong with the trap or drain connections, wrap a small rag around the vacuum breaker the next time you flush the black tank. If it's wet or damp, you'll have your problem or eliminated a source.
Thanks for your reply - this has me deep in thought. So, I suspect one leg of the hose is going from the vacuum breaker to the tank, but what I don't understand is where the other hose is going/coming from. Is it connected to the flush water connection over in the dump valve bay? Thanks for your reply, you've got me thinking...
Old 07-22-2014, 05:55 AM   #9
KJB

The vacuum breaker for the black tank flush on mine had to be replaced. It was very easy to diagnose since it leaked like mad. It is located in the half bath vanity on mine.
KJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 07:40 PM   #10

The vacuum breaker is in the water line that goes to the black tank flush nozzle. When flushing both hoses and the vacuum breaker are under pressure. If a vacuum develops in the water line used to flush the tank the breaker is supposed to shift so you don't suck black tank contents into the potable water supply.
Old 07-22-2014, 09:04 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigman1 View Post
The vacuum breaker is in the water line that goes to the black tank flush nozzle. When flushing both hoses and the vacuum breaker are under pressure. If a vacuum develops in the water line used to flush the tank the breaker is supposed to shift so you don't suck black tank contents into the potable water supply.
Thanks for the explanation. I think that I've put together what must have happened. I suspect that when I was flushing the black water tank, one of two things happened. 1) I believe the flush water flowing through the fitting developed a leak and sprayed the under sink area (I don't have reason to believe that a vacuum developed in the line), or 2) when filling the freshwater tank, the supply pressure overwhelmed the tanks ability to vent the excess water.

Only issue with theory two is I'm not sure what failed in the over pressure scenario, and need a better understanding of the freshwater plumbing. Theory 1 will require me to validate it next time I'm flushing the black water tank.

Thanks to all who have been providing their insights, and would definitely welcome any other points.
Old 07-22-2014, 10:42 PM   #12

When you get a chance to flush it again, just wrap a dry rag around and below the breaker. Give the flush a 3-4 second shot and check the rag. Don't be surprised if it's dry as these type problems can be intermittent. I chased one for a week before it leaked again.
Old 07-23-2014, 06:23 AM   #13
GKU

I had the same problem with my RED. Under the sink in the half bath is where the vacuum breaker/check valve is located. It is clear round "bowl" with a hose coming from the outside and the other going to the black water tank.

Mine had a crack in the bowl that was very difficult to see until you put it under pressure..then it leaked a lot.

We were on a trip at the time so I had to do a temp fix until I could get the correct part. I went to campers world and purchased a brass check valve installed it...it fixed the problem until I found the correct part at a dealers part department.
GKU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 09:40 PM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
It's been a while since we've gotton out in the rig, but tested the black tank flush system this weekend. Had DW standing by with the 1/2 bath sink area (breaker). Almost immediately upon introducing a slight water flow to the tank flush, the leak re-emerged. Off to the parts department to get a replacement. Thanks to all for your tutoring and help!!