Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-15-2014, 11:54 AM   #1

What amazing Service from a now LARGE company.

A word out to Tiffin...

I think they are experiencing some significant issues given the fact they have exploded in size over the last two years. Their service staff are taxed to the maximum, but while I had some significant issues with my new 2013 45LP Bob Tiffin sent someone across the country to pick it up and completely retro fit it with new seats, sofa and dinette furniture as well as redo cabinetry, tile work and much more...just to make me a happy customer. I have yet to get it back but there simply isn't a motorhome manufacturer out there that will treat their customers like Bob Tiffin and his boys treat theirs.

I was appalled by the terrible craftsmanship of my 45LP when I took it on a road trip and Bob simply said " Let's get it all fixed up for you how you like it" and sure enough they did...well at least they say they have. I will up date you all when it gets back home.

Tom Johnson in their service team tool our motorhome under his wing and treated it like his own demanding only the highest quality workmanship on the re-fit. Thanks Tom...You are a great man!

Victor Ratz
vicratz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-15-2014, 04:53 PM   #2
SCS

Tiffin Owners Club
That's great mine is falling apart at the seams, the mirror in the back bedroom fell off the wall for our last experience..today I talked with Ken Neal, Customer Relations Manager, today at the the RV Super Show in Tampa, in order to return the unused parts of the failures since September. Never got a call when the wife fell out the door, steps failed, hitting the ground, luckily not breaking her hip or worse...
On the positive their new 37 EP Bus is no doubt, best of show
Old 01-15-2014, 05:21 PM   #3

Gulf Streamers Club
Seems to me Tiffin could save much money by spending a bit more on Quality Control before units leave the factory. They wouldn't have all the expense of sending folks out on the road repairing or driving RVs back to the factory. It's nice Bob Tiffin is such a stand-up guy, but why does it happen after the sale instead of before delivery?
If I ever bought a new unit (very unlikely) I'd be very disturbed if my new baby had some of the nasty issues I've read about some new owners discover. Seems to me it might be best to travel to the factory and pick up there so you could reject or get things repaired before driving off. Buying a new unit, then spending months without while it gets re-built right and racking up hundreds or thousands of miles to get it done (a large percentage of miles driven incurred for factory repairs) doesn't sound like good business practice to me.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 07:33 PM   #4

What is acceptable to one person may not be to another. The real value is when the manufacturer will do what is necessary to satisfy YOU!
kab449 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 10:55 PM   #5

Not so

It is not acceptable that these units come out so under par and quality challenged, when you pay like I did $420k for a unit you expect it to be dang near perfect....not to have it sitting at Tiffin for 4 months of payments doing nothing but fixing the repairs they should have done right to begin with. Yes it is good they bother to step up and fix things but try calling them up these days..,it's an hour ordeal. Getting a call back is a two to three week ordeal.

They are moving away from quality and concentrating on the dollar. It will catch up with them in two years as their complaints and service dept get overrun

vicratz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 01:52 AM   #6
SCS

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by kab449 View Post
What is acceptable to one person may not be to another. The real value is when the manufacturer will do what is necessary to satisfy YOU!
wonder how it works if airlines, operated this way?
Like Ken and I discussed, if they added quality control to the work force then they could close some of the 88 bays...88 bays????
Old 01-16-2014, 04:20 AM   #7

Regardless of the manufacturer there are going to be cosmetic and mechanical issues with any brand new coach. What separates the wheat from the chaff is how the manufacturer addresses these issues. I've personally dealt with Tiffin at our Service Center on a couple of in-warranty units that people are traveling in. Tiffin has always authorized us to get the situation resolved amicably on their dime.

A good example of this happened just last summer. We had a RED unit come in for a basic generator and engine oil change. Being a MaxxForce engine the oil filter is on the top side of the engine. There is supposed to be a cut out in the back to access the oil filter from the bedroom, however, several RED units accidentally left the factory without that access cover being cut into the floor. It is impossible to gain access to the oil filter any other way. A quick call to Tiffin and they were aware some units were shipped this way. They asked if we could fabricate the "trap door" and faxed us the specs for it. We agreed and had it done in about 2 hrs. The customer had a short "punch" list of items that they found wrong in the coach. Nothing earth shattering, just some normal things that come loose, a recliner that didn't work properly, a mirror coming loose from a closet door, etc etc. The customer intended to take it back to Red Bay in the next month or so to have all this done. Instead Tiffin authorized us to go ahead and fix everything the customer had issues with. Tiffin paid us the very same day for the work we had done...and we are not a Tiffin dealer.
Old 01-16-2014, 05:10 AM   #8

How it Should Be

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94-Newmar View Post
Regardless of the manufacturer there are going to be cosmetic and mechanical issues with any brand new coach. What separates the wheat from the chaff is how the manufacturer addresses these issues. I've personally dealt with Tiffin at our Service Center on a couple of in-warranty units that people are traveling in. Tiffin has always authorized us to get the situation resolved amicably on their dime.

.........Tiffin authorized us to go ahead and fix everything the customer had issues with. Tiffin paid us the very same day for the work we had done...and we are not a Tiffin dealer.
This is how every manufacturer should do business. I wish Tiffin built travel trailers.

Bruce
nomad297 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 07:09 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
94-Newmar,

Allegro REDs are on a Freightliner chassis and Cummins powered. If you were dealing with a Maxforce engine, you were working on an Allegro Breeze.

I like how everyone yells "it's a quality problem and the manufacture should have..." every time something gets out of adjustment or a vendor supplied part fails. Your motorhome is a rolling earthquake and it is a wonder that more things don't go wrong more often.

Tiffin does a good job of helping customers get their problems resolved and, in the end, that is what counts the most.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 10:48 AM   #10

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvlabs View Post
94-Newmar,
I like how everyone yells "it's a quality problem and the manufacture should have..." every time something gets out of adjustment or a vendor supplied part fails. Your motorhome is a rolling earthquake and it is a wonder that more things don't go wrong more often.

Tiffin does a good job of helping customers get their problems resolved and, in the end, that is what counts the most.
The only two actual problems discussed so far in this thread were a mirror falling off the wall and the lack of an access hatch to the oil filter. Seems to me neither is an issue of a vendor or just an 'adjustment.' A mirror, in "a rolling earthquake" should be securely fixed to the wall. The access hatch is a great example of the manufacturer failing to notice the correct assembly to their own specifications, which is what I said earlier, more attention to quality control before they are allowed out the door would save the company and the owner down the road.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 01:45 PM   #11

You are right. I stand corrected. It was indeed a Breeze.
Old 01-16-2014, 01:54 PM   #12
SCS

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
The only two actual problems discussed so far in this thread were a mirror falling off the wall and the lack of an access hatch to the oil filter. Seems to me neither is an issue of a vendor or just an 'adjustment.' A mirror, in "a rolling earthquake" should be securely fixed to the wall. The access hatch is a great example of the manufacturer failing to notice the correct assembly to their own specifications, which is what I said earlier, more attention to quality control before they are allowed out the door would save the company and the owner down the road.
quality based on service,????? while service is important, quality should be mandatory. Service is an overhead if quality is poor.
Sorry for your GE turbine failure and your catastrophic air passenger loss but we can fix it. we just failed to safety wire in the bolts
The point... 88 bays, for your mecca to the factory, at your inconvenience and cost, to fix things that should be repaired with a good thorough walk through. Yes other things fail, but form, fit and finish belongs to the manufacturer
Old 01-16-2014, 07:10 PM   #13

I have had many RV's in my lifetime, pop-ups, TT, 5er, Class C, Class A. Everyone has had their share of problems that needed repair from new. They are built by human beings who are not perfect. Anyone who expects to not have problems better chose another form of recreation. I appreciate Tiffin's cooperation in taking care of the inevitable problems that will occur.
kab449 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 08:59 PM   #14

What amazing Service from a now LARGE company.

I have to agree with some of you on Tiffin missing things after and during build. I bought a 2013 36' Phaeton in Feb. 2013 and found things like missing bolts holding co-pilot slide (rattled) kink in sink hose causing low water pressure, crimped wire on main awning causing it not to retract. These are really no comment items but on the freightliner chassis I had several air leaks and had to have the whole steering column replaced which you could put on freightliner. Tiffin and freightliner took care of everything with very little down time. I like the company enough to buy a 2014 37ap which I will get next week, can't wait and yes I am crazy. Building an RV is kind of like building a new house, you're going to have some issues.
acekirk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
service