Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-10-2019, 10:47 AM   #1

What are the TOADS that can be towed w 4 on the ground

Is a Hyundai Manual trans Elantra a towable 4 on the ground without any modifications?
DataDaveB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-10-2019, 10:57 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Here is a great resource to answer your question. It seems every year there are less and less cars that can be towed 4 down without major modifications.

Be very careful though, you don't state what year Hyndai but one year it may be towable and another it's not. Also, just because it says a whatever mft and whatever vehicle, it may also say only with a certain engine size or this or that feature.

https://www.motorhome.com/download-dinghy-guides/
brandss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 11:07 AM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
As noted above "Possibly"

2018 guide says yes to manual, no to automatic. Further research on your actual vehicle is advised.

Elantra GT 2,901 None Yes No 23/31 $19,350-$23,250 None
Elantra SE 2,767 None Yes No 26/36 $16,950 None
Elantra Sport 3,042 None Yes No 22/30 $21,800 None
Volunteers USFWS. 9,300 hrs each, 29 refuges. 04 Allegro 30DA, WH 8.1, Banks, 2012 Jeep Liberty , Brake Buddy Adv Select, 300watts Solar, "Philippians 4:11-13 KJV"
Rocky Larson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 09:29 PM   #4

I struggled with this as well. Now I was looking for a new vehicle and that may be completely different than your situation.

Contacting OEM's to find out what they say are 4 down tow-able I was very surprised.
Toyota - nothing
Honda - nothing
Nissan - Versa (base w/manual trans), Sentra (base w/manual trans), Frontier (Pro 4X w/manual trans)

I went with the Frontier and love the truck. Versa & Sentra would have been OK but they only offer a manual trans with the very base trim levels. The Pro 4X is the top of the line truck.

My main concern was that the OEM state in writing that the vehicle was 4 down tow-able. Didn't want any warranty issues down the road.
Gocats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 05:37 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gocats View Post
I struggled with this as well. Now I was looking for a new vehicle and that may be completely different than your situation.

Contacting OEM's to find out what they say are 4 down tow-able I was very surprised.
Toyota - nothing
Honda - nothing
Nissan - Versa (base w/manual trans), Sentra (base w/manual trans), Frontier (Pro 4X w/manual trans)

I went with the Frontier and love the truck. Versa & Sentra would have been OK but they only offer a manual trans with the very base trim levels. The Pro 4X is the top of the line truck.

My main concern was that the OEM state in writing that the vehicle was 4 down tow-able. Didn't want any warranty issues down the road.
The information you got from Toyota was incorrect as to actual application. Any Toyota / Lexus product is 4 down towable as long as it has a manual shift (with an actual shift lever) transfer case. What you were told is what the lawyers want the customer service people to tell anyone who asks about towing a Toyota. Toyota does not want to get into discussions with a customer over warranty issues that may or may not be caused by improper towing of the product. It's better to say NO upfront than to say NO later.
Old 11-11-2019, 06:43 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
First welcome to the forum.

You are joining a good group of folks here with good info to share.
Look at the dingy guide as posted above.

We have been towing our Hyundai Veloster (6 speed manual) for 2 years using a blu-ox set up.

Enjoy the adventure!
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 07:37 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Store : Remco

Enter any car and Remco will tell you if you can use it 4 down or how to modify it if possible.
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 08:49 PM   #8

Subaru’s lawyers have also spoken to remove Subaru manual tranny cars from the official lists after being on the lists for years but we tow our 2016 Crosstrek just fine four down. Put the key in the ACC position, place the stick in neutral, release the hand brake and you’re off!
Ddjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 12:12 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by lllkrob View Post
The information you got from Toyota was incorrect as to actual application. Any Toyota / Lexus product is 4 down towable as long as it has a manual shift (with an actual shift lever) transfer case. What you were told is what the lawyers want the customer service people to tell anyone who asks about towing a Toyota. Toyota does not want to get into discussions with a customer over warranty issues that may or may not be caused by improper towing of the product. It's better to say NO upfront than to say NO later.
Understood completely and you are correct.
But if i have any issues further down the road Nissan can’t avoid responsibility because I towed it 4 down.
Gocats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 09:53 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gocats View Post
Understood completely and you are correct.
But if i have any issues further down the road Nissan can’t avoid responsibility because I towed it 4 down.
You hope so, but don't count on it !
Old 11-21-2019, 04:09 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by DataDaveB View Post
Is a Hyundai Manual trans Elantra a towable 4 on the ground without any modifications?
I tow a Ford F150 (2015) 4X4. Requires no special setup, Ford does it all with a tow enable mode.
When in the tow enable mode, no miles are added to the odometer.
bldski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 04:15 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Spartan Chassis
What are the TOADS that can be towed w 4 on the ground

@brandss listed a helpful link to the towing guides published by Motor Home magazine in post Nbr 2. I wanted to add a similar link to the similar set of guides published annually by FMCA.

Unfortunately, FMCA requires folks to be a member to see this info. So for those of you who are members, here’s the link -

Https://www.fmca.com/towing-guides-t...r-wheels-down/.
2017 Dutch Star 4018 - Sold - Towing Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
deaton is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toad, toads, tow, towed