RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-31-2010, 09:22 PM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
What are these things on my Allegro Bay??

I have two items on my Bay that I don't know what they are.

One is a round disk on the roof about a foot to 18" in diameter and extends a few inches above the roof line. I bought the coach used (one year old) and I don't see anything in the manuals to explain it. The consigning dealer thought it was some type of "pre-wiring" for something.

Also in the cabinet above the dash on the passenger side (where the input selector for tv/vcr/dvd etc. there is a cable - looks like the male end of a telephone cord just haniging there.

Any ideas on what there are? Inquiring minds want to know!

deputydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-01-2010, 05:12 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Make it easy...call Tiffin in Red Bay, AL.

Old 04-01-2010, 06:19 AM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Item #1 I'd say is the access cover for the King Dome satelite antenna.
#2....perhaps a previous owner did run a phone line. i think a satelite reciever does have an input for a phone line.

Like ElkhartJim said, call TMH in Red Bay....
MuckSavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 01:12 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

#1 may be an antenna. Because it's used, it's possible that the previous owner replaced the batwing with an omnidirectional HD antenna. Many Tiffin owners are doing that and the new units come that way. I just installed a Winegard Roadstar 2000 last week and it works great. It is about 18" in diameter and sits up on a small tripod. Other brands were also available. Here's a link to that page - RoadStar Omnidirectional TV Antennas - Winegard

#2 could be a phone line. It could also be a power line. The Winegard video selector switch contains a booster amp for the antenna. There is a 12 volt two-wire connection that plugs into the back of the switch to provide power for that amp. The connector plug is similar (but not identical) to a phone type plug and it is made of white nylon, rather than clear plastic.
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 02:36 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Cruzer is probably correct. There were a lot of local HD antenna's installed at the FMCA rally in NM.
I looked at a HD flat screen just after the antenna was installed. Picture beamed by local stations in HD was just like at home. Crystal clear.
It seemed like a good deal. Of course they were professional installers.

Kerry
two-niner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 03:45 PM   #6
paz

It will be interesting to hear if anyone contacts Tiffin because we have the same disc on the roof of our '05 Bay. I know it is not a TV antenna because it is much smaller than the omni-directional antennas Tiffin is installing on newer coaches, and because I also have a batwing. The small mast antenna on the left front of the roof is for the radio, and the one on the right is for the CB, so it isn't for radio either. And I didn't order the optional phone antenna.

I don't have a satellite dome, and I always assumed the disc was where Tiffin ran cables in case you wanted to add a dome later. I'd bet if you took the cover off you would find a coil of RG6 inside. There is an unattached cable in the cabinet below marked satellite, and it probably comes from the disc on the roof.

I have been in and behind all the front overhead cabinets in our '05 Bay to install satellite TV, satellite internet and a new HD LCD TV. There were no phone cables in any of these cabinets. Are you sure it's a phone cable, and not a CAT 5 cable? CAT 5 cables look similar to phone cables, but they are a little wider. A CAT 5 cable may have been added by the previous owner to run from a modem to a wireless router in the upper cabinet.
Check out our blog: Living Our Dream
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 03:49 PM   #7
paz

Quote:
Originally Posted by two-niner View Post
Cruzer is probably correct. There were a lot of local HD antenna's installed at the FMCA rally in NM.
I looked at a HD flat screen just after the antenna was installed. Picture beamed by local stations in HD was just like at home. Crystal clear.
It seemed like a good deal. Of course they were professional installers.

Kerry
The batwing does a good job of pulling in HD over-the-air stations. You don't need a special antenna.
Check out our blog: Living Our Dream
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 05:34 PM   #8

I am out in rural NW SC and I just pulled in 17 Digital channels with the old Batwing. Seems good enough for most situations.
Old 04-03-2010, 08:14 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Yes, I found that the Roadstar 2000 has a slight edge, but not much, over the batwing. It's going to depend muchly on how far away the stations are. The biggest advantage is that it's omindirectional so you never have to aim it nor do you ever have to crank it up or remember to put it down. It'll stay put in a storm or on a windy day without getting torn off the roof or damaged and it's one less thing to worry about. To buy it strictly because you want to watch HD TV stations would be a falacy. In fact, the ultimate reception would be by adding the WInegard Wingman to the Winegard Sensar batwing antenna. However, for the few times we watch off-air stations rather than satellite gaining extra signal range isn't an issue for us but the convenience of the omnidirectional disc sure is.
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 04:00 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I also have a round disk on top of my 2010 Allegro Bay. Mine is about 9 inch diameter and projects about 6 inches above the roof line. It is located forward of the front A/C unit and centered side to side. I too assume that it contains the pre-wiring for the KingDome satellite antenna. I am hoping that someone can confirm my assumption.

As for the "telephone" wire in the cabinet above the passenger seat, I know that the KingDome uses a wiring harness similar to a telephone wire with several conductors and a proprietary connector that plugs into the controller. I suspect that this is what you are seeing. Personally, I was hoping to get my coach wired for the Winegard Directv Slimline antenna. I'm hoping that I can use the KingDome wires to fish the Winegard wires into the cabinet area. Anyone have any information?
CptnMorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 07:42 AM   #11

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Round disc, about 18" in diamater, perhaps 6-10 inches off the roof on a tripod mount, Has a cable or two running to it, looks like a flying saucer

Winegard Roadstar omnidirectional TV antenna
Old 05-23-2010, 01:52 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
Round disc, about 18" in diamater, perhaps 6-10 inches off the roof on a tripod mount, Has a cable or two running to it, looks like a flying saucer

Winegard Roadstar omnidirectional TV antenna
wa8yxm,

Thanks for the feedback. However, this is not the round disk that I am talking about. I have one of the Roadstar omnidirectional TV antennas as shown. It is located aft of the forward A/C unit.

The round disk that I'm referring to is forward of the A/C unit (about where you would expect to find a satellite antenna), is about 9" in diameter, is mounted on a 6" diameter plastic column about 4" in height, and is translucent brown in color. There are no exposed wire to be seen. There are 4-6 stainless steel screws on top of the disk holding the cover on. Tiffin has applided silicon sealer to the screw heads so I've not tried to remove the cover. I know that the coach is pre-wired for a King Dome antenna and I don't see any loose wires on the roof. This is why I suspect that what I am looking at is a cover over the King Dome wires. I would include a photo but my coach is currently in the shop for minor repairs.

CptnMorgan is offline   Reply With Quote