RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-01-2014, 06:46 AM   #1

What options other than Tiffin do I have?

Ok, reading all the great posts on this forum really says a lot about the Tiffin brand, but what if right now one can't afford to step up to a Tiffin, most of you have owned other motor-homes and were pleased with them before you moved up.... so, perhaps you could give me some tips and idea's.

So, my wish list... A Tiffin 30' or 31' Gas ... but at $150,000 that's above my budget... Now if I could find a nice 2009 or up 30' with the 22.5 wheels I'd sure take a look at it... but, right now I've not found that

So, If you were in my shoes, not able to step up to the Tiffin what should I look at today ... Yes, I know all the great things about the Tiffin... but I can't see getting my wife to stretch that far.... Most of you have moved up from other MH's What were you driving in that range 28-32' gas and what seemed to be the most reliable. I've read review after review and it seems like no one wants to look at any negatives (Ad dollars) so I like to talk to folks who have been here before...

Who do you feel are the stable manufactures, a lot of them have gone by the wayside and I don't think it is always because of issues.

Now, if someone has a Tiffin (again, 30' with the 22.5 wheels) or a 31/32 let me know. Were in the Nashville Tennessee area and will most likely pay cash for what ever we buy... So, if you have one and are moving up, let me know... were not in a big hurry.. We currently pull a 26' Jayco with our GMC 2500HD so my guess I get probably the same MPG +- 2 mpg with our current rig...

So, have at it... Be reasonable, understand everyone can't just go plunk down $150 - 200,000 for a motor home and no it will not be full time, 75% of our use is with in a 400 mile rage from Nashville... We would though like to plan a trip out west in the future.... but not planning on living it it :-)

In the past we owned a nice little 23' Lazy Daze (92 I think) it was nice, wish I didn't sell it...

Ok, Sp. of your selling a nice used Tiffin, let me know, otherwise I"ll check back this evening to see what you folks have to say..
Thanks again and for your input.. Thanks...
Dave

davidki is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-01-2014, 07:00 AM   #2

I found several nice looking Tiffin gas motorhomes, some a little larger than 30'.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1401627477.288857.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	344.4 KB
ID:	64335

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1401627517.022320.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	400.7 KB
ID:	64336

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1401627553.823261.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	371.7 KB
ID:	64337

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1401627588.337108.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	394.1 KB
ID:	64338

pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 07:07 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Why don't you go on the TiffinRVNetwork.com site and check the classified ads? Lots of well taken care of units there.

BTW, you can buy a new Tiffin motorhome at 25% off the MSRP without working too hard. A good used gas model should cost you <100k. Lots of improvements started in 2012 on these models.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 10:41 AM   #4

We started off with a Winnebago Vista 30 t. It's just under 31 feet . We really like the MH, just need to change sleeping arrangements for my 86 year old father in law, so we are moving into a phaeton 36 gh.

If you can't find any Tiffins that meet your needs, you might want to look at the vistas.

Good luck!
skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 07:58 PM   #5

Tiffin

If you have 150k budget you can get any new gas model they make.
List price is misleading as you can usually get 25-30% off list.
PS we love our 36LA
Old 06-02-2014, 05:23 AM   #6

Thanks for all the reply so far, I will also go to the Tiffin Forum and check their classified. I have for the last few days searched about every internet site and have actually called a few dealers... Used ones are out there and I'll probably keep looking for a while... I'm booked up through July and even August so we would not be able to ues it if we got it right now, but I wanted to start the process.

Size wise, well the model numbers on most are somewhat misleading and because I do have somewhat of a length limit I have to really research the models. I don't feel comfortable going "Door to Wall" on the space, so last night I went and measured it exactly.. from the front door to the rear wall I have 35' So, I was looking at the 30 because it is just about 32' in length wich gives me a little cushion...

I did see a couple of 32Ca which I like and are looking more in to they fit :-) A friend of mine has the 32CA and loves it, I think he has a 2013 and paid just about $100,000 for it. I'd love to just go down and buy a new one... although, were not there yet, so I figured I'd look at low millage used.... I figure buying new it's considered used the next day anyway :-) I've seen these units with 5-7,000 miles on them and a year or so old... some folks get in to these things and just decided for some reason or another that it isn't for them....

Skater, thanks for the heads up on the Vista, I'l check that out as well but my first dream is the Tiffin... so, I may be a hold out :-)

Now what I see is that in 2009 there was a big chassis change from the 19.5" wheel to the 22.5 which says to me it's a big change.... so I kind of kept that as the bottom line.... I do see earlier one's but I think I'm going to stay with the 2009 and above. What big changes are see in the latter years on the Gas Models? I wish manufactures had a way to show the changes on paper... like some other products I purchase....

I'm probably going to keep looking for the Tiffin, but at the same time have an open mind to other options.. My wife, she would prefer a smaller unit like the 28 but the gas version is not available ... my guess it costs as much to make a 28 as does it a 30' unit...

So, I would appreciate any more comments, suggestions and ideas.... and if you have the info on upgrades from 2009 throw them in here I have not followed the line much and the next thing for me to do is down load the brochures of the 30/32 from 2009 to now and see what pops out at me .. Has there been major changes in the engines and drive train?

Finally I always see the chassis 26,000 lbs but I don't see any UL weight and carry capacity numbers on the units... in our current travel trailer, they give us the Unloaded weight numbers, weight with all liquids and the max capacity available .. wish Motorhomes had that kind of detail!... Thats right currently we pull a Jayco 26RKS travel trailer with our GMC Crew Cab 2500hd with a gas 6.0L engine, we get about 9mpg pulling the trailer on average.. going down the flat roads no problem, get in to some hills it can be a slow go.. but my wife said even if we get a Gas Motorhome of any make were probably going to find the same thing :-) But, with a little more comfort.

Thanks again for all the input and please keep it coming.... there is no better way to get feedback on these things but from current or past owners...
Old 06-02-2014, 05:52 AM   #7

Davidki,

Here is the full info on the 32 footer you were most interested in.

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1401709950.469675.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	414.8 KB
ID:	64396
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 05:55 AM   #8

luvlabs, Go figure I just went to TiffinRVNetwork.com and they are working on their website so I'll have to wait a few days I guess, thanks for the info...
Old 06-02-2014, 05:59 AM   #9

thanks pasdad.... I'll go search for it...
Old 06-02-2014, 06:37 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Davidki:

Short answer to your question. Winnebago seems to be one of the most financially stable RV manufacturers. Their models look good and there appears to be a good selection of late model rigs on the market. Also, Thor has started building some nice rigs the past few years. I just walked thru a new 2014 Ace 29' rig in Fresno, CA on sale at Camping World for $69k. I don't know about its quality but the lay out was innovative.
blahargoue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 06:52 AM   #11

blahargoue thanks, I'll go hunting on both of those manufacturers... There sure are a lot of options out there... some really cheap others really nice. When I measured our RV garage that woke me up on lengths and reality set in... I can park a 35' rv in there but no way to get to the door locks to open the door up .. .go figure.... Now I know why I should have built the building 40' not 36... then then again, I started out thinking I needed a 30' garage... Oh Well... Thanks for the reply....
Old 06-02-2014, 07:01 AM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidki View Post
luvlabs, Go figure I just went to TiffinRVNetwork.com and they are working on their website so I'll have to wait a few days I guess, thanks for the info...
It should be done tonight (6/2). However, the classifieds were done a while back so it shouldn't have been a problem.

You had questions about the CCC (cargo carrying capacity). Normally this is posted on the door jamb of the entry door or in the bedroom closet. Tiffin normally uses 22 and 24,000 lb chassis on the later model gas motorhomes and I have not heard any complaints. Older than 2012, then there may be some questions especially on the 35' bunkhouse model. We had a 32CA and loaded to the gills, we were still 1500 lbs below our GVWR of 22,000 lbs.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 07:14 AM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to TurtleKent
Have you measured your door height? You'll need a minimum of 12' door opening, 14' would be better.

I would expect more like 7mpg from a gasser.

Happy hunting.
Old 06-02-2014, 07:26 AM   #14

I PM'd you.

StevenNSteph is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tiffin