RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 09-22-2012, 08:28 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
crockett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 28
Smile Wheel off the ground

I have a 2012 allegro red 34.. New to rv world with a bus. How do you keep the front wheels on the ground if my drive way is not quite level??
__________________

crockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-22-2012, 09:09 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Dunner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Phx, Arid~zona
Posts: 11,106
2x12s.



__________________

__________________
2004 32' National Sea Breeze 1311 Class A on a F-53 Chassis, CHF, TST TPMS, 5Star Tune.
If Dunner (RVM23) can't fix it, it ain't broke!
Cheap Handling Fix Poll. Click Here to vote?
Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 09:12 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Chuck 1935's Avatar
 
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Shadow Hills,CA 91040
Posts: 3,033
Quote:
Originally Posted by crockett View Post
I have a 2012 allegro red 34.. New to rv world with a bus. How do you keep the front wheels on the ground if my drive way is not quite level??
I don't have a problem with having my FRONT wheels off the ground when I am trying to level it. NEVER get the rear wheels off the ground. The rear wheels keep the vehicle from rolling because of the emergency brake.
You can always put blocks under the wheels and lower it down on the blocks if it makes you more comfortable.

I have done this for years and never have used blocks under the wheels and have never had a problem.
Unless your MH manufacturer or the jack manufacturer specifically
says No it should be OK.
__________________
NOTE; I am not responsible for typos, poor grammer or misspelled word !
04 Itasca, Meridian 34H, 330 Cat/2003 CR V Toad
1933 Ford 3 Window,as seen in Bye Bye Birdie
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 07:14 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
woodburner's Avatar
 
Tiffin Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Mentor Ohio
Posts: 875
This is what I do.
I have gone as high as 3 boards under the front tires but I NEVER leave the wheels off the ground when leveling. NEVER! I believe the owners manual says as much as you could damage the jacks if for some reason there is movement.
__________________

2012 Tiffin Allegro 34TGA
2013 Jeep Wrangler Sport
woodburner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 07:21 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus
 
RickO's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Litchfield Park, Arizona
Posts: 10,530
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodburner View Post
This is what I do.
I have gone as high as 3 boards under the front tires but I NEVER leave the wheels off the ground when leveling. NEVER! I believe the owners manual says as much as you could damage the jacks if for some reason there is movement.
As I type this, my coach is set up exactly the same way. I don't think the mfgr of my coach or jacks say to avoid it... but I just don't like it so I use yellow interlocking blocks to drive the front wheels up on before leveling on a really slopped site.

It should go without saying to never lift the rear wheel off the ground.

Rick
__________________
Rick, Nancy, Peanut & Lola our Westie Dogs & Bailey the Sheltie.

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 07:22 PM   #6
Junior Member
 
cheeseyrider's Avatar
 
Tiffin Owners Club
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodburner
This is what I do.
I have gone as high as 3 boards under the front tires but I NEVER leave the wheels off the ground when leveling. NEVER! I believe the owners manual says as much as you could damage the jacks if for some reason there is movement.
Do you drive onto the boards or slide them under the wheels when they lift off the ground? I'm curious because I used to have to level my class C by driving onto 2x12 planks I carried with me (very time consuming), ad was under the impression that auto-leveling jacks would eliminate this from my setup routine when making camp...
cheeseyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 07:30 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus
 
RickO's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Litchfield Park, Arizona
Posts: 10,530
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheeseyrider View Post
Do you drive onto the boards or slide them under the wheels when they lift off the ground? I'm curious because I used to have to level my class C by driving onto 2x12 planks I carried with me (very time consuming), ad was under the impression that auto-leveling jacks would eliminate this from my setup routine when making camp...
Trying to slide them under the wheels might be possible if the slope isn't too bad and you can use your jacks to lift the front way high and then lower it on to the blocks until level. On the rare occasion I have to do it, I drive the front wheels on to the boards and then use the jacks to level it.

Don't be discouraged by this process. It's not at all common for me to have to do it. Most sites are well within the range that will allow the jacks to level the coach without lifting the front wheels off the ground. And, if you have to do it in your driveway, it'll just become second nature and you'll know to put the right number of boards under the wheels as you park and before you deploy the jacks.

This isn't at all like the tedious process of trying to get a Class C level using only blocks under the wheels. It doesn't have to be precise. The jacks will handle the precision work for you.

Rick
__________________
Rick, Nancy, Peanut & Lola our Westie Dogs & Bailey the Sheltie.

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 07:57 PM   #8
Junior Member
 
cheeseyrider's Avatar
 
Tiffin Owners Club
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO

Trying to slide them under the wheels might be possible if the slope isn't too bad and you can use your jacks to lift the front way high and then lower it on to the blocks until level. On the rare occasion I have to do it, I drive the front wheels on to the boards and then use the jacks to level it.

Don't be discouraged by this process. It's not at all common for me to have to do it. Most sites are well within the range that will allow the jacks to level the coach without lifting the front wheels off the ground. And, if you have to do it in your driveway, it'll just become second nature and you'll know to put the right number of boards under the wheels as you park and before you deploy the jacks.

This isn't at all like the tedious process of trying to get a Class C level using only blocks under the wheels. It doesn't have to be precise. The jacks will handle the precision work for you.

Rick
Thanks for the clarification Rick.
cheeseyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 08:11 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
bluepill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Pensacola, FL
Posts: 2,416
When I pull into a site and it is obvious that it is unlevel from side-to-side, I will place 2x12 boards just to the front or rear of the tires on the low side, then drive up on them. Two boards in the rear - 1 for each tire. I then put a board below each jack on that side. Then I just use auto level.
__________________

__________________
2015 Flagstaff T12RBST & 2018 Coachmen 192 RBS
2011 & 2012 Len & Pat's "One lap of America"
27K miles & 41 states in 13 months
Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:37 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.