RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Motorhomes Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-14-2015, 06:44 AM   #1

Whirlpool residential refrigerator repair

We discovered that our year old refrigerator has a valve snapped off on the icemaker connection, which happens to be about the only piece exposed on the outside of the rv. How does one get these repaired? Call Whirlpool and have them send someone out(though not sure they can get to it), or do we need to call our dealer. We did buy the extended warranty, thankfully.

The leak is behind this blue cap.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1442234115230.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	74.5 KB
ID:	106858  

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-14-2015, 08:16 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Is it still covered under Whirlpool's warranty? If it is, give them a call and have them come out and repair the valve for you. They may have to pull the frig forward to access the area (so slides out) but should not be a problem.

luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 08:39 AM   #3

Thanks, sounds like a plan!
Old 09-22-2015, 07:35 PM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Just saw your post. I had the same issue and it was due to winter weather. You can order the part it's about $40.00. Relatively easy to install. I worked it from the outside of the RV. In the 36LA there is a cover right behind the fridge.
Jrodrig18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 07:38 PM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1442972251.097905.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	107729
Old 09-23-2015, 05:03 AM   #6

Jrodrig18, I had been wondering if this was due to the winter. So, due you think this will be an ongoing problem?
Old 09-24-2015, 07:56 AM   #7

Thor Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
It could be if not properly winterized. Winterization of the ice maker is tricky. I will this year take the piece out as part of the winter prep as I don't want antifreeze getting there and messing up the taste of the ice. If plugged on shore power you can always add one of those heating elements to the tube
Old 09-24-2015, 09:55 AM   #8

I agree about the antifreeze. I found the part, which happens to be the only part, partway exposed. Did you change this out without pulling off the back? We are still under warranty, so I really have no idea if that covers the service.
Old 10-01-2015, 05:17 PM   #9

So, the Whirlpool guy came today to look at our broken value. What he said was, it had to go back to an rv repair shop, and that this part could not come out without taking off the back of the refrigerator. The bottom line was, don't use the icemaker. Already having had water on the carpet under the frigerator, I am inclined to agree. In my spare time, I may actually give changing it myself a go.
Old 10-02-2015, 06:58 AM   #10

Thor Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Is not that hard to change it. The tricky part is unplugging the white tube from the pump. Don't pull it. There is a white ring that you have to push down to release it. Make sure you note where everything goes specially the white tray.
Old 10-02-2015, 08:45 AM   #11

I just dealt with Whirlpool on getting a fan repaired in my unit. If you want it repaired under warranty, you will probably need to show the purchase agreement for the motorhome to prove that you obtained the fridge within 1 year. If they run the serial number, it will come back to the date the unit was sold to your RV manufacturer. I set the date for the service through the Whirlpool website. When I called the repair place and told them it was an RV, they said the don't work on RVs. I called Fleetwood, they called Whirlpool, I called Whirlpool and asked them to call the repair place and tell them to provide service. They did. The repair guy came and promptly told me they don't work on RVs. I asked him to call his office, they told him he could only work on it if he could access the repair from the front, otherwise the unit would need to be removed for them to work on it. It was a huge headache. Of course the part needed to be ordered so I had to pull it out of storage a second time for him to work on it.
Jmills1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 09:13 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
I wonder if the part would be fixed under warranty if it was damaged due to freezing. That does not sound like a manufactures problem.

Tags
repair, refrigerator