Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-22-2013, 09:49 AM   #1

Jayco Owners Club
Why A Tiffin?

Thanks for all the good information about the models you have chosen and the reasons you have chosen that model that made it 'the one' for you! I have enjoyed reading it all and have learned so much. Now I have a more basic question for you all...

Why did you choose a Tiffin over all the others out there? What kept bringing you back to this manufacturer?

My thanks!

Lindsay
RayAndLin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-22-2013, 10:54 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Actually, we started out looking at Newmars. Fortunately (as it turns out), the two dealers we were in contact with would not negotiate to what I thought was fair to both parties. We really liked the 43' Ventana but was a little disappointed with it only having the ISC engine and there were some ps overhead cabinet restrictions that really limited what you could put in them. I REALLY liked the Comfort Drive Steering.

At our last meeting with Newmar, once again we just could not come to terms and as we left the Newmar area (we were at an FMCA rally), there was a Tiffin dealer located right next door. Our good friends have a 40 Phaeton and we were duly impressed with it, so I told the DW let's take a look. One of their displays was a holdover 2013 42LH. Once inside I thought no way is this coach in our price range as it was much more attractive and many more options than the Ventana we had just looked at. Started talking to the salesman and lo and behold their starting price was just a few $$ more than the Ventana and once we started getting serious, we soon were looking at a 40% discount from the sticker price. Since the 2014's were out and had some significant changes to them, the dealer was anxious to get this one off of their lot.

So, long story short, we went home and discussed it and made arrangements to drive the unit the next weekend. Once I drove it, I was hooked. Granted it didn't drive as nice as the Ventana, but it was 100% better than what we currently had (Safari) and had some really great options in it, plus it had the ISL engine with 200 lbs more of torque.

During the past year, we had looked at four other bath and a half units and the Phaeton was definitely at the top of the list. Decision made.

That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.

Ron
lanerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 02:11 PM   #3

Jayco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by lanerd View Post
... During the past year, we had looked at four other bath and a half units and the Phaeton was definitely at the top of the list. Decision made.

That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.

Ron
Ron,

Thanks for your story! It is a good one...

Lindsay
Old 11-22-2013, 03:33 PM   #4

At the Syracuse rally we looked at Entegra, Newmar, and Tiffin. All similar floor plans to the 42LH. We looked at things like solid wood cabinets, how well the cabinet doors closed, the flooring, upholstery, and over all interior storage. The Newmar had more bling but not necessarily better quality. The Phaeton definitely had more interior storage than either. When we compared prices with all the options we wanted the All electric Phaeton was lower that Newmar and about the same as Entegra. The real selling point was how the different coaches "felt" when you first walked in. The Phaeton just had that "home" feel.
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 06:39 PM   #5

Jayco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selah View Post
The real selling point was how the different coaches "felt" when you first walked in. The Phaeton just had that "home" feel.
That same feeling is the one you look for when buying a S&B home, too! I am sure that immediate feeling of comfort is different for everyone, but that subconscious approval is important, I think. Perhaps that is what makes one person love their coach over their neighbor's and that neighbor couldn't imagine living in another...
Old 11-23-2013, 04:39 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayAndLin View Post
Why did you choose a Tiffin over all the others out there? What kept bringing you back to this manufacturer?
I own a Newmar, and work on any brand. I can tell you that Tiffin customer service (for end-users and service techs) is absolutely stellar - even on older coaches; same with Newmar as well. Quality construction and doing things a bit differently from some of the "generic" brand manufacturers speaks volumes to their customer base and returning buyers for both Newmar and Tiffin. I cannot speak for every service tech, however if you want to know good from bad, just sit down with a tech for awhile and pick their brains on what THEY like the best and why
Old 11-23-2013, 10:46 AM   #7

Jayco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94-Newmar View Post
I cannot speak for every service tech, however if you want to know good from bad, just sit down with a tech for awhile and pick their brains on what THEY like the best and why
Going to the horse's mouth... :-) That is also why I am asking here! It has been a great way to hear what people think! I am seeing a lot of brand loyalty and that is a good thing!

Thanks for your reply!

Lindsay
Old 11-23-2013, 11:11 AM   #8

Quote:
Going to the horse's mouth... :-) That is also why I am asking here! It has been a great way to hear what people think! I am seeing a lot of brand loyalty and that is a good thing!

Thanks for your reply!
I would be equally concerned about some who bleed brand loyalty - I've seen many, whom have purchased something that is obviously inferior, complain the entire time about it, sell it, only to turn around again and buy the same brand and complain about it again. Sometimes this happens more than twice.

Unfortunately, some are drawn into shiny things much like bugs to a zapper at night. They often fail to pay a little attention to what's behind all that shiny stuff. It's the difference between a coach lasting 5 yrs versus 25+ years.
Old 11-23-2013, 06:17 PM   #9
SCS

Tiffin Owners Club
since most motor home and RV's in general use the same manufacturers parts, and pieces these are all equal. Stellar service is the denominator for the "best" RV to invest in.
I am old school and question why do I need service if there is quality in construction??
Fit, form and function, unfortunately you should live it for a while before determining if your comforts and needs are met.
Old 11-24-2013, 06:06 AM   #10
paz

Quote:
...Why did you choose a Tiffin over all the others out there? What kept bringing you back to this manufacturer?

My thanks!

Lindsay
Customer service. Period.

Tiffin Motorhomes is a family-run company, not a big corporation. What other manufacturer can you call and talk to the company president? Bob Tiffin WILL answer the phone if he is in the office.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 08:38 AM   #11

Jayco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by paz View Post
Customer service. Period.

Tiffin Motorhomes is a family-run company, not a big corporation. What other manufacturer can you call and talk to the company president? Bob Tiffin WILL answer the phone if he is in the office.
Good customer service is important!

Thanks,

Lindsay
Old 11-24-2013, 10:46 AM   #12
SCS

Tiffin Owners Club
when are step malfunctioned and the wife fell out, bruised and beat up never got a call..we did get a replacement motor which I gladly changed
Old 11-25-2013, 05:03 AM   #13
KJB

We bought an Allegro 36LA but we gave serious consideration to the Newmar Canyon Star 3610 which has a very similar floorplan. There were actually things we liked better about the Newmar than the Tiffin and in a perfect world we could combine the two to get exactly what pleased us. Our decision came down to two things that were important to us. One is that even with similar floorplans, the rear bath on the 36LA seemed roomier. The other reason was because we have a very reputable Tiffin dealer for service just over an hour from home where our nearest Newmar dealer is over 300 miles away. Having said that, IF we are ever in the market for a new motorhome, I will look at Newmar along with Tiffin again.
KJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 06:38 AM   #14

copied
Quote:
Consider this while shopping; For years Tiffin has been one of the best selling brands on the market. Yet, you will find far fewer used Tiffin MHs for sale than other brands. Those who own them tend to keep them. When they do trade it is more often for another Tiffin.
okgc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tiffin