Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-09-2014, 10:43 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by papaw1 View Post
Does this problem involve buses other than the 45'?
This only affects some 2014 buses made between Oct of 2013 and Feb of this year. Anything before or after those dates should not be affected.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-09-2014, 10:54 AM   #44

1 year ago I would've purchased a new Tiffin and now I won't go near one. They, like a lot of others haave the bighead! Too bad Northwood doesn't mfg a MH as our Arctic Fox is the finest thing yet.
Passin Thru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 11:30 AM   #45

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Sorry you feel that way...don't know how you can compare TTs with a large diesel MH though....we have owned two top of the line TTs and a 5th wheel and none of them was problem free and these did not have half the mechanisms these new coaches have...
garykk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 05:54 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passin Thru View Post
1 year ago I would've purchased a new Tiffin and now I won't go near one. They, like a lot of others haave the bighead! Too bad Northwood doesn't mfg a MH as our Arctic Fox is the finest thing yet.
What you fail to realize it that all of the problems will show up on forums like this one. I don't know what the percentage is, but I suspect 80% or more of Tiffin owners do not frequent this or any forum. When you look at the happy vs unhappy owners on this forum, that gets the overall "unhappy" owner percentage pretty low. Not too shabby for a complicated box of electronics rolling down the road. No disrespect intended, but you will always be happier in your non-motorized camper with so few things that can cause a problem.
Old 04-10-2014, 09:12 PM   #47

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammie View Post
We are enjoying the coach. We're just frustrated that we're stuck here in Red Bay because we have a failed fan clutch, our 3rd so far on this coach, with 510 miles on it. A design flaw to say the least. Tiffin is currently testing a new fan and fan clutch and we will be one of the first to get the new equipment. So here we sit in wait. I look at it this way, at least we are here and not stuck somewhere on the road and had to be towed somewhere. So their is that

Brenda, Would you please keep us posted on the fan clutch and how the new one (once installed) works out. I am considering ordering a new 2015 Bus 37AP and would like to make sure this problem has been addressed before purchasing.

Thank You,
Sammie

I just traded my 08 Bus '40 ft for a new 2014 37 AP. I fell in luv with that floor plan and engine size and while there are some few issues, I am extremely pleased so far even though I probably shouldn't have spent so much. Oh well, you only live once.

I spent a few weeks in Red Bay last summer in my old coach and enjoyed every minute of it. I learned so much and got everything fixed just fine. I met tiffin rv owners from all over the country, even many from the left coast, and everyone was so friendly and we all enjoyed comparing notes.

I bought my 08 used in 2012 and had what appeared to be a fan clutch problem. Took it to southern Plains Cummins in Dallas who tried new thermostat but that was not problem so they charged me nothing. I found local mechanic who found a relay switch that was the culprit. Unfortunately for me the mechanic moved. Hope with the new coach I won't need mechanic often.
dieseldug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 05:07 AM   #48
KJB

I do hope to visit Red Bay someday but I also hope it is only to take the tour and see the operation. My dealer has an excellent service reputation and I anticipate they will take care of any issues that may develop.
KJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 09:00 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJB View Post
I do hope to visit Red Bay someday but I also hope it is only to take the tour and see the operation. My dealer has an excellent service reputation and I anticipate they will take care of any issues that may develop.
If your dealer is Kings, (I see you're from WI) they will handle anything related to the body and Kennworth nearby can handle anything related to the Powerglide chassis, Cummins engine, and Allison transmission.
Old 04-16-2014, 08:40 AM   #50

Well after some great answers, looks like we are going to take our '07 Phaeton back for some upgrades. Can anyone tell me the phone number and how far in advance you call for an appointment? Can you reserve a spot in their camping lot as well?
Pa Uon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 01:32 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pa Uon View Post
Well after some great answers, looks like we are going to take our '07 Phaeton back for some upgrades. Can anyone tell me the phone number and how far in advance you call for an appointment? Can you reserve a spot in their camping lot as well?
Sorry, I don't have the phone number, BUT they do not make repair appointments and they also do not make reservations for their "campground". Everything at the Tiffin service center is now on a first-come basis, and "usually" the CG folks won't even commit to how full the place is because they just don't know how many will show up - or leave -each day.

The appointments were discontinued last fall, I believe.
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 07:12 AM   #52

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
We're still here at Red Bay. The repair facility campground is a first come first served basis. They had too many people make campground reservations and not show up. Their is a self serve campground with a small amount of FHU sites and that is full too. Their's also a few sites across the street at the "Detail Depot" and they are full too. The service bays are also all first come first serve. Right now their are a lot of people dry camping because this is a hugely busy time of year. All the snowbirds come here on their way north. From what I hear, the wait time for a full hook up spot is a week or so. Their is water and a dump station available on the premises. To get service is over a 2 week wait right now. If you can wait until June or July I hear that is a slower time.

Here's their info if you want to call:

Tiffin Allegro Campground
1402 7th St NW
Red Bay, AL 35582
256-356-2769
Old 04-18-2014, 08:56 AM   #53

David, what are you guys still doing there ?
Pa Uon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 07:47 AM   #54

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
David, what are you guys still doing there ?
Short story is we're waiting for a part.

The long story is...

Their is a fan clutch issue. The reason their is an issue is they wanted to look to move the DEF tank to the driver side. In doing this, they need to make space for it. So they reduced the size of the radiator. When you do this you then need a larger fan for more air flow to equal out the change so you can still cool the engine.

Well, the larger fan they put on was simply too heavy for the current clutch they have been using for years and thus ends up killing the insides of the clutch. (It is right on the limits of the clutch.) The strange thing is that it does not happen on all the coaches. In fact, the first one they put it on is still on the road working without issue. We are just unlucky in this regard.

So they have a new fan clutch design that is 3rd party stress testing and three will be sent to them after the testing is complete so they can be real world tested. We were asked if we would mind and we jumped at the chance to get on as we already know we have an issue with the current ones. (We're currently on our third one and we only have 510 miles on the coach) If all goes well we will have one in under two weeks and then if it goes well with us, they will start to use these new clutches on all the new coaches starting in mid to late may when they get in a shipment once approved.

We were able to leave the service campground for some R&R though. We headed an hour north to McFarland Park in Florence, AL. We just can not drive a long distance until the new fan clutch is installed.

So in essence, we are stuck in this area until the new fan clutch arrives and is installed.
Old 04-20-2014, 07:54 AM   #55

Tiffin Owners Club
Moving the def tank to the drivers side is a great thing. My 45LP is on passenger side so the DEF fills are useless, as I always fill up in truck stops and flipping the coach around is not an option.
Oregon Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 09:51 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregon Duck View Post
Moving the def tank to the drivers side is a great thing.......
Even at the expense of a smaller radiator and a louder fan?
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
repair, repairs