RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-20-2013, 10:27 PM   #1

Windshield insulation.

Hi,
Have a 2011 Allegro Open Road.
The cabinets over the the driver and passenger in the front get really hot during the day. I noticed that the insulation ends just befor the top section of the compartment and I surmise that the sun raises the temp because of the lack of insulation.

The DW says I should put some of the silver stuff that people put in their windows and I am thinking of the foam stuff.

Has anybody found a solution to this problem?

Thanks,

Steve

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-21-2013, 07:11 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
The entire front area behind the cabinets is uninsulated. You will need to remove the front TV, if you have one, and remove the access panel to get to the area. You will be amazed at the number of wires back there. You can insulate this space with any type of insulation you care to work with although I would stay away from spray foam. Fiberglass can be kind of messy but maybe the type that is wrapped in Tyvek type material will work for you. Others have used cellulose based insulation.

The other thing contributing to the heat is the solar gain through the windshield. We used a 4 X 8 piece of the "silver stuff" which is mylar coated bubble wrap that you can get in the insulation department as well. Works great on the windshield and side windows up front.

luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 10:53 AM   #3

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.
We currently only use the stock shades for the front window but the added insulation would be helpful now that the temps are on the rise.
One of the problems I have is the the satellite receiver which is in the cabinet over the driver gets hot to the touch when it is connected. It doesn't seem to affect the performance but would like to extend its life as long as possible.

Steve
Old 06-21-2013, 10:48 PM   #4

I have read a couple posts over the years about people with the same problem. Bat insulation works, the regular building insulation. If you're going to put the silver stuff in, that should work too somewhat. Depends on the depth of the open space. Foam would only be used in smaller spaces where it wouldn't be difficult to pull wire through and such.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : http://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 06:23 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
You need to ventilate that cabinet as the prolonged heat will cause a failure eventually. For now, leave the door open but you might want to look into a muffin fan (like those used in computers) to blow some extra air in there.

The 2012 models have all of the electronics behind the bedroom TV, is this not true in the 2011 models? We have component and HDMI cables running from the bedroom A/V cabinet to our mid-cabin TV. We don't have a front TV so I'm not sure if anything would be wired to the front of the coach. Then only thing that the above driver cabinet holds is the A/B switch from the satellite.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 08:37 AM   #6

We got one of those little black plastic oscillating fans from a truck stop and wired it up inside the upper cabinet.
Works great!
Jeff
La-Z-Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 08:38 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
If you have the TV up there on the front, remove the TV to have access to the area on the front cap. I used bats of pink house insulation stuffed around all that wiring. It made a big difference in the heat. That big windshield was another issue. When we park, I have a windshield cover I put on the outside. The combination made a huge difference in heat but you can't run down the road with a windshield cover on. Still I would add that cap insulation again in a heartbeat!

Melmoses is offline   Reply With Quote