RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-29-2015, 08:47 AM   #1

Windshield replacement tips

I had a windshield crack and move within gasket. I had a hard two wheels off into a pot hole that turned into a trench for maybe 30 ft. Likely I got back on the road.... vs a visits to some trees and embankment. I understand that there could be damage to the opening. Anything I might need to know about this kind of repair? I am a little alarmed about a conversation with the service advisor, it follows:

Yes, that is the total to replace the windshield as long as front cap work does not need to be performed. The only way I know this is with your go ahead to pull the windshield and measure to see if body work needs to be made due to the front cap shifting over time.

Is cap shifting common for a 2008 Allegro with 35K miles?
thanks
PS when do I get thru this rookie period..... its expensive!

salisbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-30-2015, 07:57 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by salisbury View Post
I had a windshield crack and move within gasket. I had a hard two wheels off into a pot hole that turned into a trench for maybe 30 ft. Likely I got back on the road.... vs a visits to some trees and embankment. I understand that there could be damage to the opening. Anything I might need to know about this kind of repair? I am a little alarmed about a conversation with the service advisor, it follows:

Yes, that is the total to replace the windshield as long as front cap work does not need to be performed. The only way I know this is with your go ahead to pull the windshield and measure to see if body work needs to be made due to the front cap shifting over time.

Is cap shifting common for a 2008 Allegro with 35K miles?
thanks
PS when do I get thru this rookie period..... its expensive!
salisbury
Sorry about your windshield problem.
BTW, you will get over being a rookie.... but sadly RVing never gets less expensive.
Good luck.
Mel
'96 Safari, 141k miles, (mine since '01)

mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 08:38 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Would that not be an insurable consequence of the accident? Has your carrier/adjuster rejected coverage for the possible damage?
Larrikin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 02:40 AM   #4

thanks,
yes the claim for the windshield has been approved. The service writer suggested that there maybe earlier damage in the cap or windshield opening that insurance might not cover. He said he had seen this on other Tiffins. And that I may need to add rib or gusset ...which would not be covered in the claim. I am wondering if other owners had experience with this out of true windshield opening ...and was it caused by a design flaw that added to the cause of the crack.
salisbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 11:28 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Salisbury, if you haven't done so please go to www.tiffinrvnetwork.com and pose your question about other owners and the out-of-true opening. There are many more owners who are active respondents over there. I have only heard of a couple of problems related to the windshield popping out and the opening being part of the problem but I can't remember the details enough to help you. These owners were in Red Bay and had the problem fixed free of charge by Tiffin I believe. I think you will get your response over there pretty fast.
Melmoses is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
replacement, replace, ace