Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-01-2018, 05:59 PM   #1

windshield wiper switch

Hello all
This is my first post but have enjoyed reading all the valuable info on this site for some time. I have a 2014 Red 33aa. I bought slightly used and am very happy with it. I tried the windshield wiper switch today and if I am working it correctly the washer is a button in the middle and you pull out on the outer ring then rotate for wiper speed, correct? The wipers don't work but the washer does. Appreciate any feedback before I call Tiffin. Also when filling the fuel tank fuel started foaming up the fill line so I assumed it was full but the gauge was showing about 7/8 of a tank. I tried adding some more but no go. I would like to see the gauge pegged on full when full. Thanks for any replies.
mr builder is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-01-2018, 07:59 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club

I'd unplug the wiper switch from the back and connect a multimeter to test if the switch is working. Look for 12v power and see you are correct in operating the switch. If the switch passes 12v power but the wipers still don't work, use a jumper wire and test the wiper motor with 12v from a known good source.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 08:12 PM   #3
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr builder View Post
Hello all
This is my first post but have enjoyed reading all the valuable info on this site for some time. I have a 2014 Red 33aa. I bought slightly used and am very happy with it. I tried the windshield wiper switch today and if I am working it correctly the washer is a button in the middle and you pull out on the outer ring then rotate for wiper speed, correct? The wipers don't work but the washer does. Appreciate any feedback before I call Tiffin. Also when filling the fuel tank fuel started foaming up the fill line so I assumed it was full but the gauge was showing about 7/8 of a tank. I tried adding some more but no go. I would like to see the gauge pegged on full when full. Thanks for any replies.
The inner small button turns clockwise to turn the wipers on, and pushes in for the washer. The outer ring sets the time delay for intermittent.

I had a heck of a time figuring that out on our 2015 RED.

You will hardly ever see the gauge pegged on full. The gauges are not very accurate, so just fill it till it stops and enjoy. A trick is to slow the fill nozzle down as slow as possible for the last 10-15 gallons so it doesn't foam up in the filler hose and kick it off.

Also, look under the wheel well at the filler hose. If there is a significant sag in the hose, it will fill up in the hose and give you a false fill cutoff. You can attach a piece of aluminum angle along the hose to help give it a consistent down angle if it is bowed.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 09:12 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
A sagging fuel line, as Lt. Dan said, is the most likely reason for not being able to fill the tank completely. Also, make sure you a filling from the Driver's side. The passenger side fill is very low and backs up when filling. Do not try to vent the tank by opening the passenger side. Pumping diesel everywhere is just not nice.

If you can't get the tank past 7/8ths on the gauge, the fix is pretty expensive as the tank will have to be dropped, the sender unit replaced, and the tank re-installed. Not bad if you are under warranty but something you might want to skip if it is out of pocket.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 12:21 PM   #5

Had a heck of a time figuring that out myself! I pulled, pushed, swore, and fiddled. The inner switch (the button part) was really stiff on our new unit, so it took awhile before I figured out that it really did turn! Works fine, but what an odd thing to struggle with.
Old 01-02-2018, 06:43 PM   #6

Thank you for the replies. The wipers work fine now that I know how to work the switch. I did refer to the manuals which said if you don't have a smart wheel the coach builder installed the switch (freightliner manual) and when looking in the Tiffin manual go to the chassis manual. Oh well I am so pleased it was no big deal. With the fuel I have only tried filling from the passenger side. I was looking at the driver side fill which looks a lot higher than the other. Seems like you would get diesel filling up the lower fuel fill unless there is some check valve in there. As far as the fuel gauge goes I wont be spending a lot of money for a repair that may have the same end results. I know it holds 100 gallons so if I figure 90 gallons at 7 mpg average with a 20 gallon buffer that would be about 500 miles.I think I will set the trip meter at zero at fill up and go with that. You people are really great to help with these questions. This is my first MH. I am reasonably mechanically inclined and enjoy working on my stuff so I intend to keep learning. Thanks again!
Old 01-02-2018, 08:22 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Wiper switch--wish they had a better one. I've had 2 surgeries on my left thumb and have a hard time using the switch. Anyone found a good replacement?

Thanks
DICK
Acker1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 08:29 PM   #8
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
As far as the fuel gauge goes I wont be spending a lot of money for a repair that may have the same end results. I know it holds 100 gallons so if I figure 90 gallons at 7 mpg average with a 20 gallon buffer that would be about 500 miles.I think I will set the trip meter at zero at fill up and go with that.
As mentioned, use the driver's side to fill. Since it's higher it will let you get more in, but don't open the passenger side while you are filling. You will have a "dieselfall" out that side if you do. I always start looking for fuel when we drop below 1/2 tank. I never want to run out as that can be a disaster on the lift pump, plus the generator won't run if it drops below about 1/3-1/4 tank. It's designed that way so you won't run out of fuel using the generator. In addition, you will get a low fuel warning if you drop below about 1/4 tank. Mine did that one time when I pushed it farther on the way home.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 06:48 PM   #9

Thanks Lt Dan for the helpful insight on fuel management. It makes sense they have placed some safety features to prevent the generator running you out of fuel and a low fuel alarm. I don't ever plan on hearing the low fuel alarm go off! Thanks again.
Old 01-04-2018, 12:58 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
I would like to see a count of the second time buyers that had a time figuring out the wiper switch and maybe even the first time buyers. I guess you can figure out why I would ask this. Richard
Old 01-04-2018, 02:05 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
I hate that stupid switch. If you have arthritis like me, it is just so hard to operate. Sometimes, I just push the wash button repeatedly.....

Regards.

Chuck
Old 01-04-2018, 05:51 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
I know it holds 100 gallons so if I figure 90 gallons at 7 mpg average with a 20 gallon buffer that would be about 500 miles
I think you'll find if you record your fuel you'll average over 10 mpg......
Kiawah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 08:22 PM   #13

Have not had a chance to take any trips yet but when I do I will check the fuel mileage. I hope I do get 10 mpg. I plan on traveling as light as possible but will be towing a Jeep Wrangler two door. I'm still working but couldn't pass up the chance to score the coach I got. Only had 6800 miles on it and garage kept since new. Plus it was only 3 hours from my home. At this point I take it out about every 10 days or so for a hundred mile drive. Just getting used to it. I think it needs a safety plus steering stabilizer for cross winds. Any feed back on the safety plus?
Old 01-06-2018, 08:55 AM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
I've got Safe-T-Plus and I like it a lot. Good company and good product.

Regards.

Chuck

Tags
switch