RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-09-2014, 10:21 AM   #1

Winegard In Motion Satellite coax location

Hello. I am new here and recently purchased a 2007 Tiffin Phaeton with 22,000 miles on it. I am trying to sort out the prior owners Television/Stereo wiring. The coach has a Winegard Roadtrip In Motion Satellite dome that I assume was installed at the factory. Where does the wiring for the dome enter the coach ? We have found the on and off switch and there appears to be a coax line coming into the coach in the cabinent over the passenger seat. This cable seems to run into a disc player and then things end. I realize that I will have to add a DirecTV receiver, but I am trying to isolate the incoming satellite cable. Are there any standards locations to look ? Sorry for the long post. Any help will be appreciated.

jbucking is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-10-2014, 01:20 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbucking View Post
Hello. I am new here and recently purchased a 2007 Tiffin Phaeton with 22,000 miles on it. I am trying to sort out the prior owners Television/Stereo wiring. The coach has a Winegard Roadtrip In Motion Satellite dome that I assume was installed at the factory. Where does the wiring for the dome enter the coach ? We have found the on and off switch and there appears to be a coax line coming into the coach in the cabinent over the passenger seat. This cable seems to run into a disc player and then things end. I realize that I will have to add a DirecTV receiver, but I am trying to isolate the incoming satellite cable. Are there any standards locations to look ? Sorry for the long post. Any help will be appreciated.
I have a 2005 allegro bus. I am not sure if they are the same but my bus also has an entertainment center over the passenger seat. So my explanation is going to be for my bus. Hopefully it will help you

There are two cables coming from the winegard satellite dish. One cable comes from the dish through the roof behind the cabinets over the dash it then goes through the cabinets over the door and into the entertainment center. There should be a panel in the back of the entertainment center that has a lot of connections for hooking a coax into them and running them to a switching center. One of these connections should be the cable from the satellite dish. It will be marked as satellite on the panel.

The other satellite receiver connector will go to the rear entertainment area in the bedroom. There will be two coax connectors there. One will be for the satellite antenna the other will be for the roof over the air antenna.

gemini5362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 05:43 AM   #3

Thank you. My Phaeton appears similar. There is a panel in the back of the "entertainment center" area with various connections and labels on them. I didn't know if these we input or output connections. It appears that they are both. Mixed together on the same panel. After I removed the disc player I could see one is labeled "satellite. I must assume that this is the input for the satellite and the other connectors marked TV, etc are output connectors. Thank you for your help.
Old 11-11-2014, 08:48 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbucking View Post
Thank you. My Phaeton appears similar. There is a panel in the back of the "entertainment center" area with various connections and labels on them. I didn't know if these we input or output connections. It appears that they are both. Mixed together on the same panel. After I removed the disc player I could see one is labeled "satellite. I must assume that this is the input for the satellite and the other connectors marked TV, etc are output connectors. Thank you for your help.
You are welcome. Now that I know you have a similar connection maybe I can shed some more light for you. One of the connections is cable and another is tripod. I assume the tripod is for a satellite dish that you have out on a tripod. These connect to the jacks labeled the same in the Electric Cable reel bay. The second tv jack on the panel is an input to run something from the front entertainment center back to the bedroom tv such as the output of the over the air antenna. In your front passenger side bay is a jack for an outside tv coax. This cable is basically just split from the back tv coax. The splitter is behind the panel in the front cabinet over the windshield the nearest cabinet to the exit door. You should have a unit that has a lot of buttons on it that sends various signals around the coach or selects different inputs for different televisions. Do you have it ?
Old 11-12-2014, 01:45 PM   #5

Thank you. Yes. We have a Wingard splitter box and would seem to send the signal anywhere we would want. The information you provided will be very helpful. I am having some short coax cables made to hook everything thing up. Thanks again. I have the coach inside at the moment because we are supposed to get an "Artic Blast" here in Ohio. Once I get my cables and we can get back outside with satellite access I will probably have more questions. Thanks again, John
Old 01-01-2015, 05:27 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Should be the Sat1/Sat2 connectors located in the entertainment area
IRVDoU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 09:58 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by IRVDoU View Post
Should be the Sat1/Sat2 connectors located in the entertainment area
It sounds like his 2007 phaeton is the same as my 2005 allegro bus. there are two cables coming down from the back of the satellite dish. One of these cables goes through the roof into the cabinet over the driver to the left. It then goes behind all of the cabinets over the windshield through the back of the cabinet (behind a piece of luan that is the back of the cabinet) into the entertainment center. The second satellite cable goes down the roofline to the TV cabinet in the bedroom. There is also a cable that comes from the entertainment center in the living room throught the roof to the tv cabinet in the bedroom. I am very sure that is the way it is in my 2005 allegro bus. I have run cables from the entertainment center to the living room tv. I added 2 hdmi cables an Ethernet cable and a usb cable. by the way that is not an easy job. If anyone wants to run those cables to the front tv let me know. The opening for the cables is very small and it takes some interesting techniques and tools to get them through the hole.

Tags
cat, satellite