RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-16-2019, 03:30 PM   #1

Winnebago just bought Newmar !

It was just announced today that Winnebago purchased Newmar the deal to close in January 2020.

Tiffin is now the only family owned RV manufacturer.

One of the best features of Newmar was their "specials" and extra cost "factory pickup". (instead of delivering the coach directly to the dealer after production Newmar kept the coach going over the entire coach for some 3 weeks and then you picked the coach up at the factory and stayed there in the coach for one week).

Does Tiffin have these same options?

Daniel
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-16-2019, 03:34 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rvlegaleagle View Post
It was just announced today that Winnebago purchased Newmar the deal to close in January 2020.
Tiffin is now the only family owned RV manufacturer.
One of the best features of Newmar was their "specials" and extra cost "factory pickup". (instead of delivering the coach directly to the dealer after production Newmar kept the coach going over the entire coach for some 3 weeks and then you picked the coach up at the factory and stayed there in the coach for one week).
Does Tiffin have these same options?
No, Tiffin's have to be delivered to a dealer, I tried. The dealer is then supposed to go over the coach prior to delivery, ours did. Some dealers have facilities where you can stay in the coach during a "break in" period.

'12 Jeep JK Wrangler Sport or '08 Honda Goldwing
Old 09-16-2019, 04:10 PM   #3

well there goes Newmar quality. Dave
Old 09-16-2019, 06:14 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Dan View Post
No, Tiffin's have to be delivered to a dealer, I tried. The dealer is then supposed to go over the coach prior to delivery, ours did. Some dealers have facilities where you can stay in the coach during a "break in" period.
Probably silly to say but I was pretty upset this morning when I first heard the news after spending almost two (2) years specking out exactly what I wanted on the Bay Star 3401. I recently decided to wait until the 2021 model year comes out in April of 2020 to order it because of the new F-53 chassis upgrade from Ford beginning to roll out in January 2020.

Looked at my first Tiffin at last week's Hershey RV show and was impressed by their comparriable open road 32sa model. As much as I am disappointed by today's news I will stay with Newmar because of their "specials" and their "factory pick up". Even though its adds a few thousand to the cost it is certainly worth it over dealing with a dealer.

My daughter, son-in-law and three (3) grand kids also live in southern Ohio which is relatively nearby to the Indiana Newmar factory. Short of an emergency, only the Newmar factory will ever work on my coach except of course for me Since I was last at the factory it has been expanded and upgraded so that is nice. And I must admit I do like the Amish way of doing things.

Supposedly, Newmar will stay right where it is, have the same workers, management and of course owners From what I heard it will take some 2-4 years for Winnebago to implement their own way of doing things. Hey at least we will probably finally get those evasive ELECTRIC AND PLUMBING DIAGRAMS...LOL.

Daniel
Old 09-16-2019, 06:31 PM   #5

Bought a 32SA after coming down to it or Newmar. I feel Tiffin brings their higher finishes “down” to the Open Road line giving it a more luxurious feel. Both are fine coaches.

You can get “specials” with Tiffin but nowhere near what can be done with Newmar (or WERE ABLE TO). We got a 4 gauge solar wire installed vs the standard 8 gauge. We got a Winegard 2.0 wire run from the roof to entertainment center. We got 4 6v golf cart batteries even though we went with the gas/electric fridge for boondocking purposes (btw, the crappy 12v battery setups with the BS was a major negative for us). You can get both 13.5 ACs changed to 15 heat pumps although the option list only says one. We only got one and after a couple hot, hot camping days in the sun I wish I would have gotten two.

I think there are others but one thing that drove me a little crazy about Newmar was they offered a lot of options but they WERE options. The standard features of the Open Road, luxurious feel in the “lesser” level Tiffin plus a few specials made the decision easy for us.
Old 09-16-2019, 06:33 PM   #6
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Being discussed here.
Winnebago acquires Newmar

Closed Thread

Tags
newmar, winnebago