RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-14-2019, 07:04 PM   #1

Winterizing 09 Phaeton

We are taking possession of our “new to us” Phaeton this week but we will have to store it in Texas (Dallas area) for two months.

We will winterize it and disconnect the batteries (right?) but we’re not sure what else.

The present owner will check on it monthly - very nice of him - can anyone tell me what we should ask him to do for us.

Start the engine? Generator? Anything else?

Also when we come and get it at the end of March what should we watch out for when we start it up and de-winterize it.

Sorry to ask such basic questions but we’re new and quite nervous about this. Thanks so much for any help you can give us 😊

nelliemartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-15-2019, 07:36 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by nelliemartin View Post
We are taking possession of our “new to us” Phaeton this week but we will have to store it in Texas (Dallas area) for two months.
We will winterize it and disconnect the batteries (right?) but we’re not sure what else.
The present owner will check on it monthly - very nice of him - can anyone tell me what we should ask him to do for us.
Start the engine? Generator? Anything else?
Also when we come and get it at the end of March what should we watch out for when we start it up and de-winterize it.
Sorry to ask such basic questions but we’re new and quite nervous about this. Thanks so much for any help you can give us ��
If it's fully winterized and the batteries disconnected there's not much else to do. Normally the generator should be exercised monthly, but if it's run for a couple of hours before he closes it up it will be fine until you pick it up. As for starting the engine, you should not start and idle the engine unless it can be driven for at least 30 minutes to bring everything up to temperature. I would ask him to fill the diesel tank and add an anti gel stabilizer so the tank doesn't collect moisture.

Once you take possession, exercise the generator for a couple of hours under load with the ACs or heat pumps. I would de-winterize it and sanitize the water system (there are u-tube videos on this) then take it for a long drive and enjoy!

Also, I would call Tiffin with the VIN and see if the "Big 3" have been repaired or inspected on that coach. That's the wet bay, roof rails and driver's side slide flooring. Tiffin has been covering these repairs for ten years and you are right at the end of that coverage.

'12 Jeep JK Wrangler Sport or '08 Honda Goldwing
Lt Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 11:19 PM   #3

Just read your post so my reply is probably too late. If you mean removing the cable on the negative battery post, then yes. Just turning off the battery disconnect does not take off all of the loads that will drain the house and chassis batteries. We love our 2009! We did get the recalls done in Red Bay after we bought the coach in 2017.
Larry F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 06:28 AM   #4

Winterizing 09 phaeton

Thanks for your help.
As it turned out we were able to plug in at the storage place so we bought a small heater, left it on very low with a thermometer in the coach so the previous owners could make sure of temp when they do their checks for us.
Also on their advice a light bulb in the wet bay just to keep the chill off.
They have used this method during winters previously - I guess it just doesn’t stay cold in that part of Texas. Hope so. 😊
nelliemartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 08:27 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
I'm pretty much is the same situation. Picked up our "new to us" Phaeton in South Carolina almost 2 weeks ago, stopped at Red Bay to get some things done (big 3 were already completed), took the factory tour and am currently in Oklahoma. When I get back to Denver I have a mostly covered storage (roof and 3 sides) ready with power. I'm debating if I can do the same low heat treatment that you plan to do, but my concern is that it will get a lot colder. If anyone has been successful in a similar situation I would love to hear about it. And congrats on your new rig!
12amNSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 01:50 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12amNSX View Post
I'm pretty much is the same situation. Picked up our "new to us" Phaeton in South Carolina almost 2 weeks ago, stopped at Red Bay to get some things done (big 3 were already completed), took the factory tour and am currently in Oklahoma. When I get back to Denver I have a mostly covered storage (roof and 3 sides) ready with power. I'm debating if I can do the same low heat treatment that you plan to do, but my concern is that it will get a lot colder. If anyone has been successful in a similar situation I would love to hear about it. And congrats on your new rig!
Denver is not like Dallas in your position , a full and complete winterizing should be done. If it’s done correctly there should be no need for adding heaters. But that’s up to you.
garykk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 03:53 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by garykk View Post
Denver is not like Dallas in your position , a full and complete winterizing should be done. If it’s done correctly there should be no need for adding heaters. But that’s up to you.

I suspected as much. Don't want to risk it so I'm going to do a full winterization.
Old 01-22-2019, 05:26 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12amNSX View Post
We are in our second winter here in Dallas with our 09 Phaeton and I used a modified winterizing. I drained everything and blew out the lines but I did not want to go with the antifreeze so I am plugged in with 3 different (actually 4). I have 2 oil heaters, one in the main storage, one inside near the fridge. they are set at the lowest setting. A drop light in the wet bay with a 40 watt bulb. I also have 2 LaCrosse temperature monitors that alert me if the temperatures drop below levels that I set. It also records the temp every 15 minutes in a table. The last thing is that I turned all 3 A/C zones on to gas heat set at 45. So far the gas heaters have not been needed. My lowest recorded reading this winter was 39 in the wet bay with an outside temp at 26 degrees. And I agree - Dallas is not Denver so you will need your own plan. This is just mine and so far it is working for the second winter since we purchased our Phaeton.
Larry F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 11:21 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
We decided to fully winterize ours here in Colorado. I followed the advice and steps in this video from Tiffin.

Tags
phaeton, winter