Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-11-2014, 08:10 PM   #1

Winterizing Whirlpool residential refrigerator

This will be the first time that we have winterized our refrigerator. The instructions state to unplug the refrigerator, and disconnect the water line. Dumb question, but do I have to unscrew the panel outside, that I think, may be in the area of the refrigerator to get to these parts, and the plug?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-11-2014, 08:28 PM   #2

Freightliner Owners Club
kbhine,
I am not familiar with your motorhome but typically the water line for the water and ice maker has an access panel at the rear of the refrigerator. You will need to drain this line after you turn off the water. The water shutoff for this line may be under your kitchen sink?
dengraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 11:38 AM   #3

Thanks! We haven't really thought about the kitchen sink. Thankfully, living in the South, we don't have to worry about doing this immediately.
Old 10-12-2014, 11:42 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
You will need to remove the water filter (to store in the S&B) as well, if your Whirlpool is like mine. Also had to blow (I used my mouth on the supply line) to get the water out of the in-the-door ice water dispenser. There is a loop in that line on our unit that did not drain on its own. Have fun! \ken
Ken, Deb, & Gadget (WIT Club, FMCA, SKP, and grateful volunteers with Habitat for Humanity and SOWERs), traveling in a well-behaved 2005 Winnebago Vectra 40FD w/1100w solar, some gee-golly-whizbang, and a TRAILERED 2015 Cherokee TrailHawk toad.
Bumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 11:55 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If we have to winterize , I just plan on removing the filter on our refrigerator, the in house water tank filter, by pass the hotwater tank and use RV antifreeze. I used to just blow out all the lines but with this Mh and all the lines, including the res refrig, I figured it was safer to just follow factory recommendations..
garykk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 05:08 AM   #6

We don't have a filter on our icemaker that we are aware of (unless it is behind the refrigerator). No dispenser. Factory directions, make no mention of using the antifreeze. Hopefully, the screwed in panel outside, goes to the refrigerator.
Old 10-13-2014, 12:49 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
What year and model Mh do you have???
If its a later model most refrigerators with water and or ice maker had a filter, usuall found in the right rear near top inside the refrigerator...
garykk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 07:24 PM   #8

2014 Allegro Red. I will have to look in the freezer, as I have not noticed a filter.
Old 10-15-2014, 05:35 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Our Samsung fridge French door 3 door unit the filter is inside the fridge in the upper right hand corner. There's a door that opens and the filter drops down, the door is about 4"x12" and is a 1/2 round piece of plastic. If you gave a panel outside right behind the fridge this is where the shut off valve is. With our unit I blow out all the lines and run the ice maker till it quits with air still applied to the system. I then use the pump to run antifreeze thru the system till I get pink ice cubes then shut everything down.
D Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 09:38 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Our Whirlpool fridge has the filter in the base of the refrigerator section. Bottom left - venting/kick area. Never would have found it and not sure how much different it is to winterize than our GE in our former MH. Do not know if there is a stopper to use once the filter is removed.

Good luck!
Fencebuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 06:21 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
FYI, If you run the antifreeze thru the filter inside the fridge while winterizing, don't expect to see the pink stuff come thru, the filter will remove the color out of the antifreeze. Found this out after running almost 1/2 a gl. thru the fridge before I realizes it.
D Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 09:22 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Ditto on the filter taking out the pink. 1 gallon for me. How can you get pink ice cubes when the pink stuff isn't suppose to freeze?
beaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 03:31 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
The "pink stuff" DOES freeze. The reason we use it to winterize is that when it freezes, it does not expand and break fixtures or split hoses/lines. Leave a [partial] jug of it outside this winter and (depending on what part of the country you are in) see how it works. /ken
Ken, Deb, & Gadget (WIT Club, FMCA, SKP, and grateful volunteers with Habitat for Humanity and SOWERs), traveling in a well-behaved 2005 Winnebago Vectra 40FD w/1100w solar, some gee-golly-whizbang, and a TRAILERED 2015 Cherokee TrailHawk toad.
Bumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 06:50 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbhine View Post
2014 Allegro Red. I will have to look in the freezer, as I have not noticed a filter.
What did you find out about this? I have the same year Allegro RED, and I'm going through my first winterization. Where is the filter? How do you drain that ice maker line behind the refrig? Any help appreciated.
EVO-Bob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
refrigerator, winter