Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-12-2016, 11:52 PM   #1

Would you get AGM batteries on a new coach?

Hi all I'm looking at ordering a 2017 34PA. Should I spring for AGM batteries right from the start or go with the lead acid till they need replacing?
kg6vvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-13-2016, 12:08 AM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Our rig came with 4 8D AGM's, I replaced them with regular lead acid batteries since all we do is boondock at Wal*Mart or a rest area overnight, then drive on. Do that for two or maybe three days then find a campground to replenish the batteries, fill the water, dump the tanks and maybe run a load of wash or two. We also have 400 watts of solar to help out.
How much boondocking do you plan on doing? Like us or several weeks/months in Quartzsite?
Also, out last lead acid batteries in our 2002 Dutch Star lasted 10 years. The AGM's in this rig were bad after 6 years and will cost over $2,000 to replace with new ones. But, we did buy the rig used so have no idea how the original owner treated the batteries.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 12:15 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
AGM vs Lead

I bought my 2013 Newmar Bay Star in 2015. It was 2 years old. One lead acid battery had just been replaced (with a cheap lead acid battery from Walmart) and the second original battery died within a month. I replaced both with AGM batteries from Interstate. No more problems, but it's only been a year since then. I would opt for the AGM as original equipment if possible.

Regards,

Jerry

2013 Newmar Bay Star 3002 - 2004 Toyota Tacoma
JerryP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 12:42 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Much depends on how adverse one is to maintaining wet batteries vs spending the money for AGM's. Performance, capacity, and longevity are similar (given the wet batteries are routinely maintained).
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 05:11 AM   #5

kg6vvo-

As I understand it, AGM batteries have these advantages over flooded batteries:

1) Do not require water level checking and maintenance
2) When charging, outgassing is very low; can be placed in locations and orientations that would be unsafe or impractical for flooded batteries
3) Can be charged at a higher rate
4) Can withstand lower temperatures at the same depth of discharge
5) Won't spill on you when you move them around
6) Generally make for a cleaner battery bay (no acid reaction by-products)

I suspect most RV folks buy them for advantage 1). Flooded battery owners can counter this advantage by installing a battery fill system, such as the Flow-Rite (see this current iRV2 thread).

One advantage I don't list for AGMs is longer battery life- because that depends on how you treat your batteries. Frequently discharge any battery below a 50 percent depth-of-charge and you'll significantly shorten the battery life. Make sure you buy a quality battery monitor and learn how to use it.

(Note: Any discharge takes life out of a battery. The less discharge before recharging, the less life removed. The 50 percent number above is more of a "don't go below this" limit. Many will recharge their batteries at discharge levels of 75 to 85 percent.)

I had AGMs on our former Class C, and as I'm in the camp of keeping house batteries at home during the Winter, found advantage 5), above, very nice.

I'm of the opinion that I'd rather ignore the physical aspects of my batteries, to concentrate on their electrical health. This makes me a natural AGM customer. Others may not be as lazy as I am. ;-)
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 09:46 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Wanted to add a couple of downsides to the original lead acid batteries that I had on my coach. After 2 years I need to repaint the battery trays to stop rust and corrosion. On the original batteries, there was some corrosion the the battery cable connectors.

I am not sure what the previous owner did for battery maintenance. Other maintenance items on the coach were done properly.

If I had AGM batteries originally, these would not be issues.

Regards,

Jerry
2013 Newmar Bay Star 3002
JerryP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 12:16 PM   #7

The only real difference between AGM and lead acid batteries that you have to periodically check the water level in the latter. If that is not a problem for you then the increase in cost is probably not worth it.
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 12:29 PM   #8

That depends. What is the price of upgrading to AGM and what brand are they?

If they aren't Lifeline, I would probably not do it. I would at first chance change the wet cells out for Lifelines of a higher capacity.

Might be expensive but my battery compartment looks like the day it was new with the AGMs. All I do is hose off the dust.
Old 05-13-2016, 02:55 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by dons2346 View Post
That depends. What is the price of upgrading to AGM and what brand are they?

If they aren't Lifeline, I would probably not do it. I would at first chance change the wet cells out for Lifelines of a higher capacity.

Might be expensive but my battery compartment looks like the day it was new with the AGMs. All I do is hose off the dust.
I know lifelines are expensive is was thinking of interstate or Trojan
Old 05-13-2016, 04:38 PM   #10

Go with the AGM - I hate checking batteries and also forget sometimes. That said I was to cheap to get the AGM, when I replaced my two 6volt Interstate with two more acid batteries. Dave
Old 05-14-2016, 07:26 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
I changed my batteries in a 5th wheel I owned in the past to AGM. As soon as my dry cell are no longer up to task in our Allegro, I'll be purchasing AGM batteries for the replacement. No second thoughts.
RickyB44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 10:42 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by kg6vvo View Post
I know lifelines are expensive is was thinking of interstate or Trojan

OK, take a look at Full River AGM. They get a pretty good review from the solar people. They would be my second choice.
Old 05-14-2016, 11:13 PM   #13

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryP View Post
Wanted to add a couple of downsides to the original lead acid batteries that I had on my coach. After 2 years I need to repaint the battery trays to stop rust and corrosion. On the original batteries, there was some corrosion the the battery cable connectors.

I am not sure what the previous owner did for battery maintenance. Other maintenance items on the coach were done properly.

If I had AGM batteries originally, these would not be issues.
I put 4 oz of mineral oil in each cell of our Interstate U-2200 OEM batteries in 2004. Here's what they looked like some 5 years later, and they had never been cleaned in between. Those are the original fabric tie down straps too, they were still on the rig when we traded it off last year.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Battery1.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	338.9 KB
ID:	127026   Click image for larger version

Name:	Battery2.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	370.2 KB
ID:	127027  

Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 05:49 PM   #14

So are Trojin AGM batteries not worth the investment? They are much cheaper then lifelines

Tags
batteries