Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-01-2011, 10:49 AM   #1
csp

Monaco Owners Club
04 fleetwood discovery purchase

I have a chance to purchase an 04 Discovery 40 footer with a 330 cat. Can I get some opinions on the good the bad and if I should consider buying one of these. Is there any thing I should look for or ask about. Are they under powered. How do they ride and drive etc.
Thank You
Chris
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-01-2011, 03:52 PM   #2

I believe the discovery is fleetwoods biggest seller as far as how it drives and rides you will have to be the judge of that.
Old 08-02-2011, 08:10 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
If that's a Cat 330 with Alison transmission it's a good combo.
macnkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 09:08 PM   #4

Have a 02 38p discovery with a 330 cat to just got back from our first long trip in it to Colorado got 8 mpg and I am happy with that we love it the only thing that I could say to look for is two fuel filters and a hand primer pump mine has one fuel filter and no pump but have had no problems with it some people have check tire age I am a big fan of five years fifty thousand mile before changing good luck
Randy blase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 09:48 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Location: Back in Philly for the fall heading to Sunshine before the snow flies
I've had my '05 Disco for 5 years and 35K miles I'll list things I've found that seen to have happen to quite a few coachs. 1 the Weldex back up system is quirky had to have the wiring replaced 3 years ago fine since. 2. the front slides have failed due to the relays replaced and now acting up again. Can work around this if it happens. they are the only recurring problems. These are just my opinions the ride and handling are fine, plenty of power, mileage between 6.5-7.5. I would not hesitate buying another
Good luck.
hondo122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 03:58 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
My Providence is a cousin of the Discovery. I was in the market for a year old Discovery when I came across my Providence, for a price that I couldn't pass up. Both coaches offer some of the same floor plans.

I had the same issues as Hondo with the Weldex B/W camera system. I ended up ripping it out and installing a color system.

You didn't mention what chassis the Discovery is on, so I am going to assume it's a Freightliner. I wasn't crazy about the ride, so I thew some more money at it. I installed Koni FSD shocks and SuperSteer Motion Control Units. Rides and handles much better.

Good coach, I wouldn't hesitate buying one as long as it's been well taken care of. I went RV shopping with some close friends recently who were in the market for an '04-'05 Discovery. We saw alot of beat up units for sale at dealerships.

Keep us posted.

Craig

My wife does all the driving - I just hold the wheel...
Gadget Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 07:32 PM   #7

I have a 00 Discovery. IMO Since you already have a Monaco you already know most of what to look for that is obvious. I belong to the Discovery Owners Assoc. Inc which is a very knowledgeable group of D owners for diagnosing problems. As far as known problems with D there are none that stand out on this model. You do not say whether you are buying from a Private Party or Dealer. At any rate I would ask to take the coach to Freightliner and have them check out the engine and Allison Trans. If you are not comfortable with that I would ask to see the maintenance records for what has been done. Most of us keep very good records for everything that has been done to the coach. But you probably already know all of this.

Del
DelP is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fleetwood, purchase