RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-16-2018, 07:00 AM   #1

05 Tradition - Actia Gauge Cluster - Bouncing

Ok, this is driving me nuts. About 1.5 years ago, my gauges in the cluster started to bounce - speedo, tach, oil pressure, engine temp. Not fuel or air pressures. They bounce from the far right to far left. This is intermittent and when it does happen, it will trigger the ABS light. It will happen driving down the road, in idle, in reverse, engine off with key on.

I got it on video (don't try this when driving) and attached it to this thread.

The new trick it is doing is as I am driving down the road all the lights will come on as when I first start the engine. Acts like it is resetting.

If the cruise control is on, it will turn if off when this happens.

The local Cummins shop (which has the Coach Care service) was able to duplicate the problem. They checked the power and ground and said it was good and that the speedo needed service. I pulled the cluster and sent to Actia who manufactured it. They said they had to "adjust the offset of the master gauge and update the software version." I got it back this past week, installed it, and test drove it yesterday. Was fine for 15 minutes and then went back to behaving as mentioned above.

Anyone have the same problem or advice. I am at a loss now.
Attached Files

dbhhcolor is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-16-2018, 07:34 AM   #2

Alpine Owners Club
I have a different coach but do have Actia gauges. I had one instance while driving of the dash gauge needles wagging from low to high at the same time like yours do and all the warning lights on a separate status panel turned on briefly. On my coach this gauge behavior is the same as when you first turn the ignition key on and the gauges initialize and maybe are doing a startup diagnostic check. At the time the engine ECU stored a code #427 that is J1929 datalink - abnormal update rate. No check engine light was set. It only happened one time 10k miles ago.

You should find out if a code was logged and I would be suspicious of a bad connection maybe at the gauge cluster with the wire harness. Look very closely (with magnification) at the pins for corrosion, distorted pins or sockets and all pins and sockets seated at the same height.

c_oneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 08:15 AM   #3

Thank you c_oneil. I will check it out.
dbhhcolor is offline   Reply With Quote