Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-17-2009, 05:30 PM   #1

'06 39S KVH TracVision Satelite

I have an '06 39S Discover which came with a KVH rooftop Satelite. I went to turn the power at the switchplate located in the compartment abouve the driver's seat an it won't power up and the power light does not come on.

Does anyone happen to know where the fuse is? I've checked around and can't seem to find it.

Thanks for any assistance you can provide me.

Mike
Mike R is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-17-2009, 06:31 PM   #2

I found an in-line 3amp fuse behind the switch plate but it was not blown. There must be another fuse in the coach that powers up the Satelite System.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike
Old 04-17-2009, 08:53 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

How are your batteries and the DC supply to the dome? The KVH's are sensititive to DC voltage and won't move at all unless the DC voltage is well up there. Has to be at least 13v on the R4SL I installed lat year, but the SH I had before 92004 vintage) would work done to around 12.6v
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 05:59 AM   #4

Gary,

Even if it was a voltage issue wouldn't the switch plate light come on? I'm still thinking it's a power issue. Any suggestions as to were there might be another fuse to check?

Mike
Old 04-18-2009, 09:24 AM   #5

Ok I tested the switch and there is no power. I pulled all of the fuses that are located back by the inverter and they were fine. Also pulled all of the fuses in the rear bedroom and they are fine as well.

Mike
Old 04-18-2009, 11:42 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Yeah, the light should show even on low voltage. You obviously have a more dramatic problem. Sorry I can't help with the power source on a Discovery, but if you can't find it, consider adding a small AC/DC power supply and feeding it direct to the switch. Mine had an AC junction box nearby and I tapped that to provide power to a 3 amp, 13.6v, power supply.

KVH makes one for that purpose, but you can get one for less $ at Radio Shack or maybe even use an power supply from an old laptop.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 03:51 PM   #7

Ok, found the problem. My volt meter was not working properly. There is power to the switch plate however when you turn it on the green light does not come on. Looks like the switch was bad.

Thanks for everyone's comments.

Now I need to call KVH to get a new switch. Didn't have any luck on line.

Mike
Old 04-24-2009, 05:50 PM   #8

Ok, checked one last thing, whet up on the roof and found the problem. The data/power cable leading to the roof top dome was disconnected. Must have not been tightly secured when it was installed.

Saved myself a 4 hour round trip to the dealer that I was going to make!

Thanks for everyone's comments.

Mike
Old 04-29-2009, 02:10 AM   #9

kvh made a kit for the older kvh and the new sl kvh satellites with low voltage.It was made to get ride of the low voltage proplems when you batteries get low. it is called a grounding kit. it comes with a 15v ac/dc power supply and a new way of grounding the rg6 cable threw a grounding block it AC ground.
DougA is offline   Reply With Quote