RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Products Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-25-2014, 02:47 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by jld1952 View Post
Hi and thanks everyone. Its a 1996 fleetwood bounder 32ft. Havent found a inverter yet, found the converter in a underfloor compartment.
Thanks for the info

It could be a tripped GFI.

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-25-2014, 04:32 PM   #16

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Hi, would I have lights on 12 v if I didnt have a inverter. Havent found the inverter yet, will look under the hood near the batteres come morning.
There are 3 possible configurations

Basic: Only a converter.. This converts 120vac to 12 v, also charges the battery, battery runs the lights if no shore power (120vac)

Better:Add a small inverter which powers the TV and related stuff (Sat Receiver, Radio, DVR/VCR), Charge batteries with the converter as above.

Best: A much bigger Inverter/charger, this is basically the electronics part of a UPS on steroids. (more on that in a bit) the remaining part of the UPS being your house batteries. These BIG inverters can power your TV, Microwave and more. mine is 2,000 watts, they also contain the converter/charger section to recharge the batteries and provide 12 volt for lights et-al

Better than best:
My rig came with a converter, one of the best made, I installed (After market) an inverter/charger.. I like the converter's programming better for battery maintenance so I use it with the inverter as a back up for when the Factory box fails (The factory unit is a plug in model, plugs into a socket, and occasionally some idiot pulls the plug And when he figures it out (usually around 3-am) I... er, He just turns on the back up unit and goes back to bed and plugs it back in the daylight).

But you likely do have a converter..

Converters come in different flavors as well.. Some folks still have a Magnetek 6300 battery killer

Some have Parallex 7300s (Single stage, They are not exactly bad but I'd not call em good either)

Some.. Well I have a Progressive Dynamics 9180 with charge wizard. (Charge wizard units are best) Iota IQ-4 a real, real, tight second (for most users tied for 1st). My Inverter is the real 2nd in my book (also a 3-stage plus one feature but I like the Charge Wizard's Plus better).

So your converter matters. (to the battery)

Old 10-26-2014, 02:58 PM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If you had an inverter, it would most likely be mounted near your battery control center. If you don't have one, the outlets and tv will only work off of shore power or gen power. To answer your other question, yes you can have 12 volt lights without an inverter. If you don't have an inverter, you will have a converter. You can most certainly add an inverter to power your tv system and maybe a couple select outlets. If my rig didn't come with an inverter, I would change the converter over to an inverter/charger.
Old 10-27-2014, 05:35 PM   #18

Thanks everone. I guess I dont have an inverter, so I use a small inverter that I plug into the dash.
jld1952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 06:43 PM   #19

On a 1996 anything you would have a big TV powered by AC. Your lights are normally all 12V DC similar bulbs to what the automotive industry uses. The same thing for your water pump, small fans and the controls for the refrigerator and similar. Your high power draw items like the TV, microwave, and Air Conditioner draw too much power to run off DC with a reasonable battery system.

Rough approximations of power usage are to divide the wattage by 100 to get the AC current. More to the point divide by 10 to get the approximate DC current to feed and inverter to make 120 VAC from 12 VDC. As an example a 1200 W Microwave would draw roughly 120 A DC from the battery to feed an inverter. Maybe you can do it for a hot cup of water but you will need a lot of battery to do roughly the same load in an Air Conditioner that runs for hours. Your TV will raw somewhere around 300 W or 30 A DC.

You have two sets of batteries. The Chassis battery set is one or two starting batteries that are designed to put out a high current for a short time to start the engine. The House battery set is 1 to 8 deep cycle batteries designed to put out less current for a longer time to feed loads like lights and fans. You may have several 12 V batteries in parallel or 6 V batteries connected in series strings of 2 to make 12V and then the strings connected in parallel. Tell us how many house batteries you have and we can give you more information.

One caveat with advice here. You have folks with 8 deep cycle batteries in their DP running high wattage inverters to get all the comforts of home. You also have folks with 1 marine deep cycle starting battery that keeps the lights on. Most of us fall somewhere in between. Depending what you have and who put in the power management system the expectations can be quite different due to the battery capacity. Charging voltages will be the same. Inverter capacity and the size of your 12 VDC converter/charger will vary with battery size. Inverter capacity is proportional to available DC power from the battery and/or converter. It would be time well spent to search for flooded cell lead acid battery charging. You may or may not follow all the details but you will get a sense of what is normal for maintaining and checking the batteries in your unit.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 07:00 PM   #20

Welcome to the world of rv's before you spend a lot of money on any type of inverter I'd suggest you do some more research. The small inverters that plug into the dash will probably only produce enough power to charge a cell phone. Most dash twelve volt outlets are powered by the coach battery and will discharge your start battery. There are also different types of inverters modified sine wave and pure sine wave. Save yourself some money by finding what you plan to use the power for and witch inverter will work best for your needs, there is a big difference in price.
Elf111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 07:03 PM   #21

My bad I ment to say the outlet runs off the chassis battery not the coach.
Elf111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 02:22 AM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Summarizing

Quote:
Hi and thanks everyone. Its a 1996 fleetwood bounder 32ft. Havent found a inverter yet, found the converter in a underfloor compartment.
Thanks for the info
I just found this posting. As I look over what's written it isn't clear that the Original Poster has said enough to clarify the situation but I'm guessing that the advice to read up on electrical systems is the best advice.

If the OP is clear on the basics like which of his systems that normally use 12 v and which that normally use 110 aren't working it might help straighten this out. If the OP thinks that some appliances like TV's (that off the shelf are almost always 110) will work on 12v only then that needs explained.

If there's still basic confusion what is 12 and what is 110 then the inverter comments are a little premature....too advanced in the discussion.

Just my observation FWIW.
Bill & Jenny - 2016 Winnebago Itasca Ellipse 42HD, 43 ft, Cummins 8.9 ISL - Blue Ox and SMARTCAR. Once/month traveler in Midwest and (as ofen as possible) Southern US. Home - Nashville, Indiana (Beautiful Brown County)
jwmaustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 02:44 AM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Summarizing

Quote:
Thanks for the info
I just found this posting. As I look over what's written it isn't clear that the Original Poster has said enough to clarify the situation but I'm guessing that the advice to read up on electrical systems is the best advice.

If the OP is clear on the basics like which of his systems that normally use 12 v and which that normally use 110 aren't working it might help straighten this out. If the OP thinks that some appliances like TV's (that off the shelf are almost always 110) will work on 12v only then that needs explained.

If there's still basic confusion what is 12 and what is 110 then the inverter comments are a little premature....too advanced in the discussion.

Just my observation FWIW.

Bill & Jenny - 2016 Winnebago Itasca Ellipse 42HD, 43 ft, Cummins 8.9 ISL - Blue Ox and SMARTCAR. Once/month traveler in Midwest and (as ofen as possible) Southern US. Home - Nashville, Indiana (Beautiful Brown County)
jwmaustin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
12 volt