Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-26-2015, 02:42 PM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Here is the way it looks
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-28-2015, 07:43 AM   #16

Fleetwood Owners Club
I find myself hitting the little red dead bolt lock mechanism when trying to open the door, even if it only goes part of the way down (to lock) it hangs up latch. I pushed so hard on the door to thinking it was stuck (when it was really locked), that I broke the plastic slide thing on the screen door.

I also find that the screen door latch hangs up, I bushed out the latch mechanism with some rubber shims; that seems to help quite a bit
rmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 08:44 PM   #17

I want to thank everyone for their responses. I have not had a chance to try anything yet but I am sure that I will now be able to solve this. This forum is awesome! Thanks again for all the responses.

Terry
Old 07-31-2015, 02:38 PM   #18

Been out on an extended trip and the door operation has been flawless since adding the extra bumper. Thanks again.
PbdBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 12:40 AM   #19

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Sorry brian, missed your question. No not the triangle but the actual screen door lever you push to open the screen door when just using screen door alone. On the outside screen door is a push button to open the door. That button engages a little pot metal piece inside the latch. That piece bends and is what actually causes the problem of the main door not being able to press the screen door latch button in far enough. As others have stated you can add a shim to the protrusion on the main door to press the button in far enough but the true cause is the piece inside the screen latch being bent. I took mine apart and tried to straighten it but being made of pot metal it just broke in half resulting in having to buy the entire screen door latch/handle/lick mechanism. Hope this makes sense. If somebody could just machine an aluminum replacement to the little piece it would save us all a lot of money and solve our door problems without the makeshift shim method
Old 08-08-2015, 12:01 PM   #20

I think that's a great emergency fix, people in general, should know about. Good simple idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwmaustin View Post
I found this to be a problem as well and have used a pin stuck in the latch prevents the door from unlatching.

The broken pin happened to me inside the screen latch. The new lock from Fleetwood was $31 plus small shipping charge. After installing the new latch, when the two doors were joined, the screen latch did not move back very far until the door and screen were in the closed position. At that point the screen latch barely cleared upon opening the door.

The rubber bumper fix worked perfectly. I notched it slightly on one side so it would seat flatter. Now the latch is fully retracted at all times when doors are joined.

Thanks for easy fix.
WOODYDEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 06:44 AM   #21

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I agree. In hindsite I should have left well enough alone and just added the shim. The ocd and perfectionist in me led me to put zing with it and having the pin break and in the end spending a more money to fix it. Sometimes we're better off with the simple fix.
Old 10-14-2015, 04:40 AM   #22

Attachment 109575

I received this drawing and installation instructions from the manufacturer of the screen door latch (JR Products Model 11675). My spindle just broke. The manufacturer agreed to send me a couple spare spindles after I communicated with them via emails. They felt that the spindle was too long. I explain that in Fleetwood's design, the spindle must fully depress the latch for it to clear the door. Fortunately, my spindle broke when the screen door was the only door being used and the main door was open. I guess my shim put too much pressure on the spindle.

Jim
2014 Fleetwood Bounder 35k
2007 VW EOS
Kpjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 06:34 AM   #23

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
your attachment isn't working.
Old 10-15-2015, 06:18 AM   #24

Name:   ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1444911475.818568.jpg
Views: 163
Size:  53.2 KB

Here is the attachment.

Jim
2014 Fleetwood Bounder 35k
2007 VW EOS
Kpjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 01:43 PM   #25

That same problem occurred on my coach the spindle broke. I used some tie wraps to hold the latch shut until I could get the latch replaced. In my case the coach was going to the Fleetwood repair center and I just added it to the work list. Not sure if this will work but it may be possible to drill a hole and tap it in the piece that holds the spindle then just find a screw of suitable length to replace the broken spindle
z3406 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bounder, door