Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-12-2017, 06:24 AM   #1

'16 Bounder Solar and Lithium Upgrade

Well, the time is finally here. Less than 7 months before I retire, sell everything and hit the road full time.
The upgrade planned for the past year is for 960w solar on the roof and a 600AH lithium battery in the basement.
The research is done. The review by all the vendors complete. All the parts are ordered or arrived already.
General list of the install:
6x160w (Made in the USA - HiTech Solar) panels
AM Solar combiner box
#10 PV wire and MC4 connectors
#4 copper welding wire and tinned tips (Made in the USA)
1/16" 1x1 Aluminum angle stock (tilt mounts)
1/4" stainless hardware
Morningstar MS-MPPT-60 solar controller w/ TS-RM-2
Bussman CB-185 breakers
Magnum BMK, AGS, ME-ARC
600AH (100AH packs) Elite Power Solutions with BMS, UV and OV Protection
+ and - buss bars
Mics small amp fuses, wires and connectors.

It's a major project and expecting it to take a week. It's starts on 1/21. My brother is coming to help a couple of days but the rest is all on me. I'll post some pics as it progresses.
Wish me luck.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Electrical.pdf (13.9 KB, 785 views)
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-12-2017, 07:58 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Exciting project with huge benefits - good luck!
Old 01-12-2017, 09:10 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
please post your progress and final results (with pictures?). I'm looking to upgrade my solar and would love to track your progress.
Xman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 09:39 AM   #4

Congratulations on retiring and living your dreams soon! This project sounds exciting and full of benefits for you on the road. Good luck!
Allen_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 08:21 PM   #5

As an approximate number, what is the weight of all that?

Daniel
Rvlegaleagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 08:32 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rvlegaleagle View Post
As an approximate number, what is the weight of all that?
Hmmmm? If I were keeping track, not that I would ever do that, I'd say it weighs 368 lbs. Taking out the flooded lead acid batteries of 220 lbs. leaves a net increase of 148 lbs.
Not that I'm tracking that at all
Old 01-12-2017, 09:07 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by computerguy View Post
Well, the time is finally here. Less than 7 months before I retire, sell everything and hit the road full time.
The upgrade planned for the past year is for 960w solar on the roof and a 600AH lithium battery in the basement.
The research is done. The review by all the vendors complete. All the parts are ordered or arrived already.
General list of the install:
6x160w (Made in the USA - HiTech Solar) panels
AM Solar combiner box
#10 PV wire and MC4 connectors
#4 copper welding wire and tinned tips (Made in the USA)
1/16" 1x1 Aluminum angle stock (tilt mounts)
1/4" stainless hardware
Morningstar MS-MPPT-60 solar controller w/ TS-RM-2
Bussman CB-185 breakers
Magnum BMK, AGS, ME-ARC
600AH (100AH packs) Elite Power Solutions with BMS, UV and OV Protection
+ and - buss bars
Mics small amp fuses, wires and connectors.

It's a major project and expecting it to take a week. It's starts on 1/21. My brother is coming to help a couple of days but the rest is all on me. I'll post some pics as it progresses.
Wish me luck.
Why did you pick Magnum over Victron? I think Victron understands a system built around Lithium better than Magnum but that's MHO.
Old 01-13-2017, 04:34 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timon View Post
Why did you pick Magnum over Victron? I think Victron understands a system built around Lithium better than Magnum but that's MHO.
Magnum is standard equipment on a Bounder. It is high quality and highly configurable with great support. No need to replace good equipment IMO.
Old 01-13-2017, 04:42 PM   #9

Quote:
Magnum is standard equipment on a Bounder. It is high quality and highly configurable with great support. No need to replace good equipment IMO.
Understand that, you work with what you've got unless you're starting from scratch.

Still if they would just add one additional module that allowed the BMS to signal charge disconnect and Load Disconnect it would work much better, and more safely, when running Lithiums.

Funny thing is that they have a load disconnect but they don't think they need a charge disconnect because their charge controller is good enough which it isn't because there are just too many issues they can't control.

Looking at your diagram if you get a OV you're going to dump all your chargers, including the one in the inverter, which is what you want but you're also going to dump the inverter which I don't think you want to do. Now I understand that with any but the Hybrid inverter/charger this may not be an issue but it totally defeats the benefit of the Hybrid inverter/charger.

However it your solar charger fills the batteries to the point that the BMS signals OV then you Inverter turns of as well. I think that can be worked around by sensing no AC on the input of the inverter which would then allow the inverter to bypass the main OV disconnect relay however that would then require two OV disconnects, the existing one for the inverter, for when it could be charging, and another one for the other chargers.

This is why I keep asking Magnum for a charge disconnect module along with the load disconnect module they currently have so a BMS can tell the charger to stop. I believe all that is need is the module since the magnum network already has the ability to control the charger.

Before posting this I decided to call Magnum one more time. Yes, all of my statements about not being able to control the charger is correct. HOWEVER, there may be some light at the end of the tunnel. I was told that if I e-mail my request for the Magnum Net protocol and state what I need to do and why it's needed there is a good chance they will release the protocol to me or any one that has a good reason to need it.

I'm going to do that, I'm sure I'll have to sign a nondisclosure agreement (NDA) but that's OK, to see just what would be needed to make the Magnum chargers more friendly to lithium batteries. I'm not sure if I will make such a device, I have everything to design and build one one, or talk with Elite and see if they would be interested in doing one for their BMS. Elite is actually in a good position to do this since they already have a MOD and CAN bus modules either of which could be modified to talk Magnum Net protocol. This would be by far the best solution at least for Elite which is very good lithium system.

If something comes of this I'll post info in the RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS.
Old 01-17-2017, 10:33 AM   #10

ComputerGuy, you're a few years ahead of me! But same idea! I am a newbie and just bought my first RV, a 2014 Fleetwood Bounder.. I'm also an IT guy... and want to retire today, but need to wait about another 6 years....
I barely started looking at my Bounder on how to do this stuff so hopefully you'll post some pics!
Good Luck!
BounderMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 10:42 AM   #11

Panels with fabricated tilt mounts.
Another week before James Taylor sings...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2970.jpg
Views:	336
Size:	309.4 KB
ID:	149333  
Old 01-17-2017, 06:34 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
great project watching for sure.
silvrhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 06:53 PM   #13

The layout on the Bounder 35K roof
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Roof.JPG
Views:	754
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	149393  
Old 01-18-2017, 10:26 AM   #14

Quote:
The layout on the Bounder 35K roof
Looks good. The only thing I see which "might" be an issue is the distance from the sat antenna if you are tilting the panels. I'd double check the antenna clearance requirement just to make sure a tilted panel doesn't get in the signal path.

Looks like you'll have about 770 real world watts (960W @STC*.8) out of your panels. A couple more panels would be nice but there is just so much available space.

Just some general comments:

I've never seen the reason for a skylight other than to make the shower taller so if the skylight is fairly flat I'd just let one of the panels go right over it. Same for roof tank vents, replace them with low profile ones and you can run panels right over them as well.

A though about vent fans. The new EZ-Breeze Fanis only 3.5" tall and never has to lift up. I've though they would be great for some locations they allowing for more panels if needed. Main downside with them is them is they are only 350cfm fans not the 750+cfm you normally have.

Tags
bounder, lithium, solar, upgrade