Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-12-2018, 05:58 PM   #99

Glad it worked out for you. That's why I did the thread.
Also I am finding my solenoids are getting sticky I think. I'll see them charge the batts every so often (actually just twice in the past 6 months). I'll flip the dash when driving and I see this then switch off then back and it has so far corrected the issue.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-12-2018, 07:18 PM   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by computerguy View Post
Glad it worked out for you. That's why I did the thread.
Also I am finding my solenoids are getting sticky I think. I'll see them charge the batts every so often (actually just twice in the past 6 months). I'll flip the dash when driving and I see this then switch off then back and it has so far corrected the issue.
Usually they fail the other way i.e. not making contact. I’ve replaced a few over the years.
Old 02-09-2019, 02:57 PM   #101

Was having a conversation on another thread and the subject of lithium and heat came up. Thought I'd update this thread as to why I am concerned about heat in my battery compartment.
Technomadia documented their experience with the heat and lithium. It's in the paragraph starting "The Dark Cloud: Premature Battery Aging?" The Dark Cloud: Premature Battery Aging?
Old 02-09-2019, 05:07 PM   #102

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Note that post is from 2015. In the comments they reported much more recently that their pack still met their needs. I don't see any more recent capacity test. It definitely would be interesting.

We installed lithium ion in our Canyon Star in early 2011. I do know that after almost 4 years of use, running the A/C on the inverter when necessary, our pack had over 425AH of capacity (it was a 400AH pack with Thundersky cells that were from manufactured in 2010). I didn't do a capacity test before we sold it last year, perhaps I should have to provide one more datapoint...
Luv2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 02:27 PM   #103

3 years in and my batts seem to be gong strong. I have not done a full draw down on them but I can say that overnight since the beginning of the install I draw down 14%. In the morning depending on when I wake up I show 86% SOC. Now this is while I am hooked up to power and float is turned off on my charger. I don't boondock a whole bunch so I don't have those numbers. I can say 600 AH of lithium is enough for my needs for sure.
computerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 05:43 AM   #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv2go View Post
Note that post is from 2015. In the comments they reported much more recently that their pack still met their needs. I don't see any more recent capacity test. It definitely would be interesting.
In their latest video of getting the bus out of storage after a 18 months (I think that's what they said). They lost power at the storage unit, batteries were left on carrying some security loads and misc. With no charging happening they said the batteries were killed. In the near future they're going to add a video of that and new battery upgrade.

So no future capacity test. :(
Itinerant1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 10:27 AM   #105

Send a message via Skype™ to MJClark
Question

I'd be curious to know more about the tilt mechanism for the panels... at my age, I don't relish climbing up top every time I needed to raise or lower the panels... somewhere, someone with time on their hands, might come up with a means of doing so without having to climb up top... This I'd be interested in...
MJClark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 09:49 AM   #106

Send a message via Skype™ to MJClark
There was a time, recently, when I thought I'd want to have tilting panels, and to be sure, it makes sense for those wanting to milk every available Watt from their solar array. But as I've gotten older (and wiser?), I realize someone my age (67) does not belong on the roof, having done so recently to clean the panels, and I found myself thinking much more persistently about STAYING up there until ready to return safely to Terra Firma... Better choice for me was, add more solar panels to capture what little may be lost with fixed installation... and hire a mobile RV service to wash, wax, and service anything needing attention...
MJClark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 08:01 AM   #107

An update of real life boondocking with a residential refer.
For the past few months I have been mostly boondocking from near Badlands NP to near Grand Teton and Yellowstone NPs.
It has been a great experience. All the work into planning has been spot on. If it is sunny out I am full each and every day. I don't need to tilt my panels at all. Yes, this is summer and days are long. I do try and orient myself so the panels have the best shot at sun. I do NOT limit myself to the energy used. My electronics are on and plugged in almost all the time including my inverter on 24/7. Some of these include, the residential refer, Wally Dish receiver and hard drive, Alexa, Echo, laptop, induction cooktop, iPhone, iPad mini, iPad, HDTV, microwave, WifiRanger and usb modem/jetpack/mifi (or whatever one cares to call it).
I use about 30% of my capacity overnight (200Ahs). If the day is cloudy, most of the time the batts won't charge but also don't lose a whole lot during the day. This in theory can get me almost 3 cloudy days in a row. At that point I would definitely need to run the gene. With a 100 amp charger the batts (LiPO) charge pretty quick. I haven't experienced this yet because I have had great luck with the weather.
Hope this helps others who may be planning an upgrade.
Cheers (and boondocking is AWESOME)
Old 01-31-2022, 09:02 AM   #108

Quote:
Originally Posted by computerguy View Post
An update of real life boondocking with a residential refer.
For the past few months I have been mostly boondocking from near Badlands NP to near Grand Teton and Yellowstone NPs.
It has been a great experience. All the work into planning has been spot on. If it is sunny out I am full each and every day. I don't need to tilt my panels at all. Yes, this is summer and days are long. I do try and orient myself so the panels have the best shot at sun. I do NOT limit myself to the energy used. My electronics are on and plugged in almost all the time including my inverter on 24/7. Some of these include, the residential refer, Wally Dish receiver and hard drive, Alexa, Echo, laptop, induction cooktop, iPhone, iPad mini, iPad, HDTV, microwave, WifiRanger and usb modem/jetpack/mifi (or whatever one cares to call it).
I use about 30% of my capacity overnight (200Ahs). If the day is cloudy, most of the time the batts won't charge but also don't lose a whole lot during the day. This in theory can get me almost 3 cloudy days in a row. At that point I would definitely need to run the gene. With a 100 amp charger the batts (LiPO) charge pretty quick. I haven't experienced this yet because I have had great luck with the weather.
Hope this helps others who may be planning an upgrade.
Cheers (and boondocking is AWESOME)
I know this was a year ago. I am planning to install Lifepo4 batteries in my FW Storm, replacing the GC2 batteries. I have a question for you about your setup, have you experienced any issue with charging the batteries with engine alternator? I am reading about having to install a DC to DC charger to limit current draw. With our FW BCC I am not finding an easy way to wire one in without loosing functionality. Thank you for your reply.
Old 01-31-2022, 06:16 PM   #109

Quote:
Originally Posted by markyodo View Post
Thank you for your posts and costs. This is what I had expected. We were originally estimating $10k for all equipment and installation for a 2017 Bounder so your numbers really help!
See this thread. It is another by me. This is what I did. I can't see why a DC/DC converter wouldn't work. Maybe the reverse functionality if you needed to "jump" the chassis battery would not work but I am not familiar with those converters or for that matter which one you are considering.
Old 02-20-2022, 09:20 AM   #110

Tilting real life experience. It WORKS!

An update on tilting in case you were considering tiling or not.
A real update from Quartzsite in January this year. This was the first time I really tilted and had time to compare.
Tilting the panels made a HUGE difference. 96 watts more per panel at noon.
You might hear some people talk like they know what they are talking about. Always be careful. They say you don't need to tilt. Just add another panel. LOL, yeah, not so in this case. I'd have to add 6 more panels to achieve the output of tilting my existing panels. That's doubling what I have on the roof. I don't have the real estate, weight capacity or budget for that. Tilting works and works well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3211.JPG
Views:	39
Size:	121.5 KB
ID:	357083   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3269.PNG
Views:	42
Size:	162.0 KB
ID:	357084  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3270.PNG
Views:	39
Size:	159.2 KB
ID:	357085  
Old 11-15-2022, 03:21 PM   #111

Fleetwood Owners Club
Lithium batteries

Thanks to all who have provided input on this thread!

I just replaced the LA batteries on my 2018 Fleetwood Bounder with an AMPERE 12 300AH Lithium battery (4 LA to 1 Lithium). I replaced the MRC with a -50, since I couldn't program for lithium. I did not do the DC to DC change. I am going to run with the alternator for now and see what happens.

I ran into an interesting issue not mentioned here. I had 4 cables available after removing the LA batteries; 2 were definitely power, one was definitely ground, and one looked like a ground but had power on it (it was a ground for the Inverter, I figured it out later), with the "extra" cable on power, the inverter was inop. I also had the Magnum cable.

I am currently testing the limits of running the fridge off of the batteries. I have head 48+ hours, but I'll see. My theory is 36+ hours, if she runs for 36+ hours, it will accomplish my goal.

AGAIN THANK YOU to all who have responded to this thread. Without all of the advice and information, I would never have put Lithium in my rig.
Blade_Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2023, 10:17 PM   #112

Very good information. I’ve been looking into solar for my 2014 35k. Mounting panels are my main issue. Sounds like you figured it out. Thanks for all the good info.
Murrough is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bounder, lithium, solar, upgrade