Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-08-2012, 03:56 PM   #1

Texas Boomers Club
1994 Bounder P-30 Brake Squeal

Hi everyone, I just went out on my very first trip and I have a question for a break squeal problem. The previous owner replaced the break pads and the rotors last year and less than 600 miles are on them. Any idea or suggestions for this problem? As I applied the breaks they are not to bad at first, as I get further into driving they seem to get louder. Sounds maybe like the pads are vibrating. Does not seem as bad if I break harder.
Thanks for any advice.
Unit is a 1994 Bounder 34J on a P30 chassis.

-Leon
lpkirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-08-2012, 06:59 PM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
I would have them checked. Just because they were changed recently does not mean they were done correctly. I have had numerous brake jobs done that were not done correctly.
Hipshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 11:43 AM   #3

Texas Boomers Club
okay, I will differently have them looked at. Just wanted to check if this was a known problem. Thanks
lpkirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 01:50 PM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
I don't know if it is a known problem. My Bounder will get a little surface rust on the rotors from lack of use (another reason to tell DW we need to travel more ) and will squeal a little first couple of uses then stop.
Good luck.
Hipshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 03:59 PM   #5

Have them checked. When we got our vintage MH the owner had the brakes done all new everything except the brake hoses. They would squeal some and then on our first trip they locked. Hoses weren't replaced with brakes. Very expensive.
Go Dawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 09:47 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Brake squeels are a common 'annoyance' on many vehicles. I hate them. At the shop, I will advise customeres that we ONLY use a good brake pad. We won't put on cheap pads, as they seem to always squeel.

The ceramic or metal in the pad can be the cause, or a particle of sand can get caught between the pad and rotor. These squeels will eventually go away when it wears away.

Your pads are visable without tire removal, so if you don't already know how, find a "mechanic" friend (not Jimmy the neighbor who's done a brake job) show you how to inspect them.

Tags
bounder, brake