Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-29-2016, 08:36 PM   #1

1995 Fleetwood Bounder electrical issue

Hi everyone. Thank you for reading. We have replaced our alternator and it seems to be working ok but when its at an idle the volt gauge drops and the check engine light comes on. I was told it might need an isolator. Does anyone know where to find this part and how to test it?
butterfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-30-2016, 01:16 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by butterfish View Post
Hi everyone. Thank you for reading. We have replaced our alternator and it seems to be working ok but when its at an idle the volt gauge drops and the check engine light comes on. I was told it might need an isolator. Does anyone know how to test it?
butterfish
If yours is a solid state isolator see:
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 01:44 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post
Quote:
Hi everyone. Thank you for reading. We have replaced our alternator and it seems to be working ok but when its at an idle the volt gauge drops and the check engine light comes on. I was told it might need an isolator. Does anyone know how to test it?
butterfish
If yours is a solid state isolator see: (LINK)
The '95 Bounder does not use a diode based ISOLATER, it uses the RV-CP BCC with a solenoid isolater.
Old 08-30-2016, 01:58 PM   #4

Did someone with some experience in isolators tell you that ?

You can test your isolator but what your experencing is not isolator related.

An isolator simply splits and sends power to both, chassis and house, battery banks. If bad, the alternator would have nothing to charge.

At idle speed, the alternator will have a very low output. If you have one or more bad batteries, that could be dragging down your voltage.

You may just need to charge up all of the batteries, since I would guess you changed the alternator for a no charge condition.

You may also have some high amp items on, using more power then the alternator is capable of producing, at idle.

I would check the belt tension, turn off anything that don't need to be on and try it.

Next I would have the batteries tested.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 02:06 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Hi everyone. Thank you for reading. We have replaced our alternator and it seems to be working ok but when its at an idle the volt gauge drops and the check engine light comes on. I was told it might need an isolator. Does anyone know where to find this part and how to test it?
Your Bounder already has an isolator as part of the BCC. The isolator relay (solenoid) is the same solenoid that connects the batteries together when you use the Aux Start/Boost switch to aid in starting the vehicle.

If that solenoid happened to be defective (always closed), and your house batteries are extremely under charged, there is a possibility of that putting such a load on the alternator that it might cause your indications, but that's highly unlikely.

A more likely scenario is that the chassis (starting) battery is going bad, or swimply undercharged, and drawing a lot of current in an attempt to charge. This would be very noticeable at idle.

Have the batteries tested and replaced if necessary.
Old 08-31-2016, 03:54 PM   #6

Thank you everyone who is reading and replying. So all 3 batteries are new and have been tested. I was told that the isolator when it goes bad can cause the batteries to drain. When we first start up the rv the belt squeals for a little bit but the belt does look fine. This is the second alternator this rv has had in a year so whatever the problem it is seeming to kill the alternator. From what I can find this is the isolator i think my rv has fwc.fl/plant91Files/014573.jpgeetwoodrv.com
Old 08-31-2016, 04:25 PM   #7

The link didn't help but if your isolator looks like this you may have the wrong alternator installed.

With isolators, not isolator solenoids, the alternator needs a specific style of control.

They are called Du-Vac Alternators.

Without the Du-Vac wire, the alternator will charge full output.

This over heats it and over stresses the belt. It will also overcharge your batteries.

A volt check on the batteries, while running, at high idle, will confirm over charging. Anything more than 14.8 volts is a strong indication.

You will probably need an old time alternator shop to figure it out.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1472682292103.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	38.2 KB
ID:	137681  
Old 08-31-2016, 05:04 PM   #8

I called fleetwood to get the part number for the alternator. They had me call chevy with my vin number so the alternator should be right buy I'm not guaranteeing this. Here is the pic I was trying to post
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot (25).png
Views:	177
Size:	1.06 MB
ID:	137687  
Old 08-31-2016, 05:18 PM   #9

OK , that controls the solenoid style isolator. If it didn't work, your house batteries wouldn't charge with the engine running.

It connects the start battery, which is always charging from the alternator, to the house battery, when the engine battery reachs 13.4 volts or more. Sort of like using a jumper cable between the batteries.

You are back to adjusting the belt, it should NEVER squeal, and testing your batteries.

If the belt is a multi-rib and adjusted by an automatic tensioner, that may be bad.
Old 08-31-2016, 06:10 PM   #10

Ok. I talked to the husband. The belt's not bad and it doesn't have an automatic tensioner. Any other ideas? Someone suggested a bad ground could that be the case?
Old 08-31-2016, 07:01 PM   #11

Also I don't know if this provided any clues but when the voltage meter is on the batteries they are putting out 13 amp but the voltage gauge inside the coach only reads 10-12 amps
Old 08-31-2016, 08:20 PM   #12

butterfish, listen to what Old Bounder tells you. He is the most knowledgeable person on the forum, when it comes to the Battery Control Center and how the batteries are charged. The other posters don't have a clue how Your bounder works. Alternator belt squeal, on start up, is an indication of high alternator current output. Tighten the belt a little and that noise will go away.

Richard
95 Bounder
House Husband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 09:13 PM   #13

I understand what you are saying about the belt. I will take it back to the mechanic tomorrow and see if it needs tightened. But would that cause the check engine light to come when at an idle? Maybe a little more background would help. We bought the rv this spring. The people we bought it from had just replaced all 3 batteries and the alternator last August. So a year later now we have just done the same steps they did (replaced all 3 batteries and alternator) Obviously 3 batteries and an alternator should not go bad in a year so there is a problem somewhere. I can't find an Rv mechanic in my area so this is where we are. We are afraid to drive the RV because of not knowing if we are going to lose all power again. Last time we only made it 5 miles from home when it died. I am just about to give up and sell the thing on craigslist which is really sad as we've only had it 5 months.
Old 09-01-2016, 06:40 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLS7201 View Post
butterfish, listen to what Old Bounder tells you. He is the most knowledgeable person on the forum, when it comes to the Battery Control Center and how the batteries are charged. The other posters don't have a clue how Your bounder works.
Richard
95 Bounder
Quote:
I understand what you are saying about the belt. I will take it back to the mechanic tomorrow and see if it needs tightened. But would that cause the check engine light to come when at an idle? Maybe a little more background would help. We bought the rv this spring. The people we bought it from had just replaced all 3 batteries and the alternator last August. So a year later now we have just done the same steps they did (replaced all 3 batteries and alternator) Obviously 3 batteries and an alternator should not go bad in a year so there is a problem somewhere. I can't find an Rv mechanic in my area so this is where we are. We are afraid to drive the RV because of not knowing if we are going to lose all power again. Last time we only made it 5 miles from home when it died. I am just about to give up and sell the thing on craigslist which is really sad as we've only had it 5 months.
butterfish
Methinks either the alternator you have is not compatible with the Intelletic Battery Isolator Controller in your coach.... or someone wired something incorrectly.

(However
since I'm one of those "other posters don't have a clue how Your bounder works" I must be wrong).

Mel
'96 Safari

mel s is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electrical, fleetwood, bounder