Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-07-2014, 05:21 AM   #1

Question 1997 Bounder 36R water system question

Hi - I'm new to the forum, and this is my first post. I've owned a few motorhomes over the years, but we are new to this one.

Usually, when you connect to city water, incoming water and pressure would be provided everywhere. In my case, even when connected to city water, water is used from the fresh water tank and the pump runs for each use, as if no city water/pressure were provided.

Further - when I disconnect the supply hose from the female connection, pressurized water (hot and cold) back up out of the water hose connection. This motorhome has 2 valves I don't know about. 1 is a faucet type of valve near the water pump, and the other is a clearly marked Hot water tank bypass valve, which is in the normal operating position.

Thanks for helping me though this.
dbrinton is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-07-2014, 05:32 AM   #2
Community Administrator

Welcome to irv2. I think you have selected tank fill rather than by pass ( tank ) on the valve handle. Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1517867311.jpg
Views:	1052
Size:	588.2 KB
ID:	53414 This is what mine looks like. That would account for the pump running. The water flowing out if the connection sounds like you need a new check valve. Can you post a photo of these other valves you questioned ? Good luck Cliff

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 05:51 AM   #3

Welcome to the forum dbrinton!

Lets see if I can post a couple of photos/drawings here. These are for my 1997 Discovery and hopefully are the same or similar to your Bounder. Does this look like yours?

Like Cliff said, water coming back out sounds like a stick one way valve. You should be able to see the valve cone shape plunger if you look at the city water fill.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Water Diagram.jpg
Views:	5844
Size:	112.7 KB
ID:	53415   Click image for larger version

Name:	Water Pump (15) 1024 x 768.jpg
Views:	737
Size:	171.0 KB
ID:	53416  

2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 07:10 AM   #4

1997 Bounder - water system issue discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifftall View Post
Welcome to irv2. I think you have selected tank fill rather than by pass ( tank ) on the valve handle. Attachment 53414 This is what mine looks like. That would account for the pump running. The water flowing out if the connection sounds like you need a new check valve. Can you post a photo of these other valves you questioned ? Good luck Cliff
=============

Hi Cliff - 1st of all, thanks for your willingness to offer suggestions. It appears Fleetwood has done a better job of labeling things in later years, (like I see in your photo).

I will take and post photos of the 2 valves on my mh. I suspected a bad check valve, because I've never seen water (hot and cold) shoot out of the city water hose connection on prior mh's.

Photos to come.

Dean
Old 01-08-2014, 07:20 AM   #5

Hi Pete,

Thanks for your ideas, and photo. The diagram shows precisely how I suspect mine is plumbed also, but I haven't found the bypass valve.

Sounds like I may have a stuck/defective check valve also. I think I've seen something inside/at the city water connection that may be a portion of the check valve.

I will take photos, and post them to show you how mine is set up.

Dean
Old 01-08-2014, 07:20 AM   #6
Community Administrator

Great. Looking forward to seeing them. Collectively we'll get to the bottom of this.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 04:01 PM   #7

More progress on water system question - '97 Bounder

I've taken a few pictures that may clarify things a bit. Thanks again for taking the time to help.

After connecting the city water line to the inlet, I tried turning the valve both directions, but in no case did it seem to begin flowing into the tank. (The tank was about 1/3 full when I started). After reading the cardboard tag, I see that it is recommended I remove the water fill plug (back of mh) if filling the tank this way).

I've also including a close-up of the water inlet connection itself that shows a rubber projection off-center in the valve. Do you think this could be the stuck, or defective check valve that isn't letting water into the mh?

Likely unrelated, but I've also attached a picture of the hot water bypass valve, although I'm not 100% sure the purpose of that valve.

There doen't appear to be the common valve like I had seen in thread pictures that would direct water to the mh, or to the tank. Do you think the faucet style valve is what does that function on my mh?

Thanks - Dean
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Water connection.jpg
Views:	711
Size:	160.3 KB
ID:	53527   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pump and valve.jpg
Views:	598
Size:	205.2 KB
ID:	53528  

Name:	Tag by pump and valve.jpg
Views:	384
Size:	201.3 KB
ID:	53529   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fresh water inlet.jpg
Views:	358
Size:	201.0 KB
ID:	53530  

Name:	Hot Water bypass.jpg
Views:	1076
Size:	158.8 KB
ID:	53531  
Old 01-08-2014, 05:01 PM   #8

Let me give it a shot. First, the city water inlet is NOT going to fill your water tank. Use the city water inlet to provide water everywhere in the coach using water pressure from the city. Your water pump should not running at all when using city water. Now, to fill the water tank , there should be another inlet inside a small compartment on the rear of the coach. Next, make sure one of the 3 water pump switches are turned on. (Front of cabinet below sink, wall next to bathroom sink, or in the wet bay where you took pics. The switch should lite up. See if this works.
Old 01-08-2014, 05:07 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The faucet type valve is your fresh water fill valve. Turned to the left (CCW) will open the valve and allow the tank to fill from the city water connection. It is necessary to open the manual fill cap/plug to allow air to escape the tank while filling.

It appears that your back flow valve in the fresh water connection is defective. Either replace it or remove it and cap the opening when not in use.

The water heater tank bypass valve (the blue lever one) is for bypassing the tank so it can be drained for the winter or cleaning.
Old 01-09-2014, 05:41 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by loulong View Post
The faucet type valve is your fresh water fill valve. Turned to the left (CCW) will open the valve and allow the tank to fill from the city water connection. It is necessary to open the manual fill cap/plug to allow air to escape the tank while filling.

It appears that your back flow valve in the fresh water connection is defective. Either replace it or remove it and cap the opening when not in use.

The water heater tank bypass valve (the blue lever one) is for bypassing the tank so it can be drained for the winter or cleaning.
Well, count me smarter now than before. I did not know I could fill my water tank from the city water inlet. Good to know!!
Old 01-09-2014, 06:18 AM   #11

dbrinton, did you get your original question answered? I was surprised to see how different your 97 Bounder was from my 97 Discovery. You would think with things like the water supply they would be the same. Go figure!

I do think the city inlet fixture has a feature that is supposed to prevent water from flowing back out of the inlet. In fact looking at your photo I notices a sticker on the cap strap that indicates to me that this city fill has been replaced before.

I found a few pictures showing this inlet. Remember there several design variations possible for this inlet.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Check-valve-seated.jpg
Views:	1272
Size:	106.8 KB
ID:	53562  
Attached Images

2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bounder, water