Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Products Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-12-2014, 11:55 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
1997 Southwind in dash radio

as the title says I own a 1997 Fleetwood southwind 32v. I recently replaced the factory am/fm cassette radio with a modern cd deck which works great on the chassis battery, but am I correct in thinking the radio should also power on and play when connected to shore power? And if not will it cause damage to the chassis battery if it is turned on while connected to shore power?

Sthwindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-12-2014, 12:02 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sthwindrider View Post
as the title says I own a 1997 Fleetwood southwind 32v. I recently replaced the factory am/fm cassette radio with a modern cd deck which works great on the chassis battery, but am I correct in thinking the radio should also power on and play when connected to shore power? And if not will it cause damage to the chassis battery if it is turned on while connected to shore power?

You should have a switch on the dash that allows the radio system to function if the engine is off and the battery (aka; salesman) switches are on, it will not harm anything.

My 1996 Fleetwood product is set up that way.

Old 05-12-2014, 12:08 PM   #3

I too have a 1996 Pace Arrow, with the same switch. There is a gen start switch, a light switch and the switch that operates the radio in house or chassis mode as I recall the radio switch is the center one?
YZF571 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 02:35 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by YZF571 View Post
I too have a 1996 Pace Arrow, with the same switch. There is a gen start switch, a light switch and the switch that operates the radio in house or chassis mode as I recall the radio switch is the center one?
Center Orange button left of TV, has a music note on it. Click pic for large view.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	006.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	187.7 KB
ID:	62688  
Old 05-12-2014, 06:45 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My '97 Bounder has the switch also.
Old 05-12-2014, 07:12 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My Southwind doesn't seem to have that switch
Old 05-12-2014, 07:15 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My switch panel. The other side of the steering column has the mirror controls, Jack controls and the aux. start switch. I really need to find a manual for this coach.

On a brighter note, my generator which for the last year refused to run (shop said it needed a new $400 carburetor) miraculously started today but doesn't seem to be putting power to the coach (mind boggled)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1399943612655.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	62711  
Old 05-12-2014, 07:20 PM   #8

Is your coach set up to charge the chassis battery when plugged in? If so, that charging system will cover any draw that radio would ever pull on that system.

If not, wiring up a switch like the others have would be a very easy do it yourself project.
Old 05-12-2014, 07:28 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahicks View Post
Is your coach set up to charge the chassis battery when plugged in? If so, that charging system will cover any draw that radio would ever pull on that system.

If not, wiring up a switch like the others have would be a very easy do it yourself project.
I would assume it does but I don't know for sure. most of the major electrical components have been replaced in the last 2 years and as long as the shop hasn't screwed something up it should all be working as intended.
Old 05-13-2014, 03:29 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
There should be 2 breaker resets on your generator. Also if you have less than 1/4 tank of gas your generator will not run. The fuel intake sets high in the tank to keep you from running yourself out of gas while camping in hell's half acre somewhere.
Old 05-13-2014, 03:32 AM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Your owner manual is here

Fleetwood RV Manuals
Old 05-13-2014, 03:39 AM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sthwindrider View Post
My switch panel. The other side of the steering column has the mirror controls, Jack controls and the aux. start switch. I really need to find a manual for this coach.

On a brighter note, my generator which for the last year refused to run (shop said it needed a new $400 carburetor) miraculously started today but doesn't seem to be putting power to the coach (mind boggled)
Looks like a Chevy dash, if so you don't have the switch according to the owner manual.

Fill in your signature line in your profile other members can help you more efficiently knowing your equipment types.
Old 05-13-2014, 10:02 AM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brockx View Post
Looks like a Chevy dash, if so you don't have the switch according to the owner manual.

Fill in your signature line in your profile other members can help you more efficiently knowing your equipment types.
thanks for the info and especially for the link to the manual! I never noticed my signature wasnt showing up since I normally view the forum from my phone via the app, hopefully its working now.

the dash is identical between the chevy and ford versions of the southwind this year and the only difference between my rig and the manual is that my rear view monitor is mounted under the overhead cabinets instead of in the dash.

I generally try to keep the fuel tank full when I'm not traveling and I had checked the breakers and fuses when the gennie was running now now its a matter of tracing and checking all the connections to see where I do and dont have power. I have a feeling the shop that worked on it last year may have screwed something up when they worked on it.

once the manual is done printing it looks like I have a lot of reading to do thanks again for the responses
Old 05-13-2014, 12:28 PM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahicks View Post

3 years ago the original power converter was replaced with a Progressive Dynamics Inteli Power 9100 power converter, I don't know if that answers your question.

Other components have been replaced since but I have to get all my documents in one place before I can give you more details

Tags
southwind, dash, radio