Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-29-2016, 05:45 AM   #1

1998 Bounder Electrical Panel

I thought someone had posted info on this in the past but I have searched everywhere and cannot find it. On the bounder in the engine compartment is the DC distribution panel Fleetwood installed with the battery relays and such. My coach battery will not charge any longer. I have narrowed it down to the diode prior to the connection to the board. I can't read the info on the diode to replace. Think someone had a schematic/diagram to this board ?
kb2ztx is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-29-2016, 07:04 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by kb2ztx View Post
I thought someone had posted info on this in the past but I have searched everywhere and cannot find it. On the bounder in the engine compartment is the DC distribution panel Fleetwood installed with the battery relays and such. My coach battery will not charge any longer. I have narrowed it down to the diode prior to the connection to the board. I can't read the info on the diode to replace. Think someone had a schematic/diagram to this board ?
Old_bounder will chime in soon enough I imagine. The BCC as it is called is made by a company called RV Custom Products I believe. You may be able to find some info by searching them up?
superk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 08:26 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Complete component level schematics are not available for the logic circuits within the BCC, but here is the data that is available.

If you will follow the diagnostic procedures in the text portion of the document, you should locate your problem.

If you detect a failure within the PC board, the documentation will simply suggest that you replace the board. There are less expensive ways to restore the charging capability, however. Ask, if that's the result.
Old 05-31-2016, 06:50 AM   #4

Thanks all. I know its the diode as I have 12v before and 0 after when I remove the battery charge wire. I'll just order a replacement with a 15v piv and try that. It appears the only reason the diode is in circuit is to separate the 2 battery systems. I know I can install another charger to charge this but would like to not worry about it.

I'll let folks know what I find out.
Old 05-31-2016, 06:50 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Thanks all. I know its the diode as I have 12v before and 0 after when I remove the battery charge wire. I'll just order a replacement with a 15v piv and try that. It appears the only reason the diode is in circuit is to separate the 2 battery systems. I know I can install another charger to charge this but would like to not worry about it.

I'll let folks know what I find out.
I'm not sure just which diode you are speaking of, or just how you determined that those symptoms indicate a faulty diode, or how that determination explains your problem, but I eagerly await your findings.
Old 06-01-2016, 07:05 PM   #6

LOL....Well been in the electronics repair business for 20+ years so I'm not afraid to pull a board out and do some basic component level checks. P15 has a diode in line (P15 goes to the chassis battery for the charge wire). No power thru the diode means no power to the chassis battery to charge it !
Old 06-01-2016, 11:20 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
LOL....Well been in the electronics repair business for 20+ years so I'm not afraid to pull a board out and do some basic component level checks. P15 has a diode in line (P15 goes to the chassis battery for the charge wire). No power thru the diode means no power to the chassis battery to charge it !
20+ years of electronics repair experience huh? My 40+ years of electronic engineering experience says you are somewhat confused.

You obviously do not understand that BCC diagram at all. That diode attached to P15 actually feeds 12V FROM the chassis battery TO the disconnect switches, to control the disconnect solenoids. That diode has nothing to do with charging the batteries. Current would have to flow backwards through the diode to accomplish anything close to what you think it should. The diode and land patterns on the board would almost immediately burn up trying to handle the level of charge current normally required.

Here is how that BCC really works:
When you are plugged to shore power, your house batteries are charged from the on-board converter/charger through the two DC circuit breakers feeding P7 on the board. Voltage is then fed to the voltage sensing circuitry in the interconnect relay driver circuitry. When this charging voltage exceeds 13.2v. the relay driver will close the interconnect relay (also know as the Isolator relay, the boost relay, the emergency start relay, charge relay, etc...).

This interconnect relay closes and connects the chassis battery and the house batteries together, thus charging the chassis battery also.
Old 06-03-2016, 04:38 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I see from your PM that you are still convinced that the diode connected to P15 is DEFECTIVE. Did you remove the voltage from P8 and compare the forward and backward resistance, of the diode attached there, to the one at P15. That will tell you if the diode is defective or not.

Of course, it would be simpler to just disconnect P15 and P8 (one at a time) and see if your disconnect switches and solenoids still operate correctly. If they do, then the diodes are good.

Once you understand how the BCC works, it's rarely necessary to do any component level testing until you know you are in the right area.
  1. You never said whether your aux batteries charged from the engine alternator or not.
  2. You never said whether your aux start (boost) switch worked or not.
The answers to these two questions would help pinpoint your problem.
Old 06-03-2016, 06:10 PM   #9

I pulled the circuit board from the box and tested the diodes on the picnic table with no voltage on the board with my Fluke meter. The diode is open. I realize this is most likely no the issue, but it is open and not working for its intended purpose.

Aux (house/coach) batteries charged fine from NC all the way to PA while driving. Chassis battery also charged and showed 1/10 volt different on the digital meter I installed in the dash.

When I left NC and the chassis battery was dead (6.8 volts) I used the AUX Start/Boost Switch to start the camper.
Old 06-03-2016, 07:18 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
I pulled the circuit board from the box and tested the diodes on the picnic table with no voltage on the board with my Fluke meter. The diode is open. I realize this is most likely no the issue, but it is open and not working for its intended purpose.

Aux (house/coach) batteries charged fine from NC all the way to PA while driving. Chassis battery also charged and showed 1/10 volt different on the digital meter I installed in the dash.

When I left NC and the chassis battery was dead (6.8 volts) I used the AUX Start/Boost Switch to start the camper.
Check the diode off P7. It's nearly the only component in the charging path from the converter to the chassis battery that isn't also used to charge the house batteries. All the other components (i.e. aux start switch, interconnect relay and ignition relay) have proven operational in your scenario.

Tags
bounder, electrical, panel